PDA

View Full Version : Vegas... CCBers... Ramblings...

SPetty
05-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Hello,

Boy, I went through a heck of a CCB withdrawal last week. The phone rates at the Riv are outrageous, and I found it hard to justify that kind of expense via my slow modem just to keep in touch with you guys! If there are any threads that shouldn't be missed, please let me know.

First off, I'd like to mention that Tony from Talisman was just playing a joke on us with this Big Jeff thing. I spent 10 days looking for this joker, and I had at least a half dozen operatives on the lookout for him as well, but there was simply no Big Jeff there. If there was, I would have found him.

Fran Crimi is just gorgeous in person. And obviously smart and talented as well.

Rip rocks! That says it all. He knows everything and everybody. It was my honor to have the pleasure of his company during many of those times that I wasn't being pampered up in the sky box. (Sorry about the puke on your shoes, dude...)

The winner of the men's open, Bobby Pickle from Tennessee, is very fun to watch. I'm accustomed to watching thoughtful players - those who walk around the table, decide what to do, plan their runout, take their time. Bobby just ran it. All action. "Freestroking" is what Chris Cass called it. Wow. I know you've already heard that this guy knocked Chris into the losers bracket... what you may have missed is that it took all of about 15 minutes, maybe 20, tops. 5-0 in less than 20 minutes. Wow. BTW - this score is absolutely no reflection on Chris, who plays really really well. He did everything right. Chris' wife Heidi and son Chris are a joy. I hope they were good to that child, because he sure was well behaved.

BTW, I bought a used Bunjee jump cue for $40. Good deal?

Carol was just as fun as usual. Makes me feel welcome every time I see her.

Barbara was great. It was nice to have a little time to chat with her since she didn't have any time available at all in Valley Forge. We watched one of Spiderman's matches together. Yep, the boy's got legs!

I mentioned elsewhere, Fred's energy level *almost* matches Carol's. He is a joy to know and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.

RandyG's team, Texas Xpress, came in 5th, I think, in the team opens. We all have heard that Cuechick's team came in 1st in master women's team. RandyG's wife's team came in 3rd. I think Chris Cass was the highest placed CCBer in the individual standings, although Spiderman and Fred Agnir have nothing to be ashamed of there! Cuechick did very well in the individual matches as well, making it to the final board.

One of the main problems I had was the scheduling - they scheduled many of the matches at the same time, so you kinda had to pick and choose which match to visit. Of course, I was hobbling around with a post-surgery cast, often in a great deal of pain, so couldn't run from match to match to match. I missed quite a few!

I hope I'm not offending anyone by not mentioning them. Suffice it to say that, along with Carol, I had one helluva time. Pool players are the best!

And in the "why can't you just keep quiet" category: I do have to mention, in the past 15 years or so, it is only at pool tournaments (and, now that I think about it, at every pool tournament), that I've seen people cupping cigarettes in elevators thinking that no one knows they are being rude and breaking the law and making it uncomfortable for other elevator riders. Can't you just put it out, or wait for the next elevator? It's those smokers that give smokers their bad name. Not to mention smoking in the bathrooms... (please please please don't make this into another anti-smoking thread - it's just an observation...)

Speaking of smoking, for the most part, the Riv did a good job of keeping the smoking areas free of smoke. I don't know where they sent it, but they generally had a good breeze going in the hallways that was keeping the smoke clear.

It was awesome to watch the pros play. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was sitting with Rip watching Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, Jeanette Lee, Corey Dueul, Buddy Hall, Efren Reyes, Mika Immonen and a lot of others ALL AT THE SAME TIME! I leaned over to Rip and said "This is cool". He replied "Yeah, it is". And it really was.

Thanks to all the CCB'ers for making my trip lots of fun. It was great meeting all you guys and I'm glad you were there. My team spent their time at the slot machines rather than watching people play pool. How weird is that??!? It's great "knowing" and sharing with so many people who "get it".

Again, I don't think I'll ever catch up on the postings when I was away, so let me know if there are any worthwhile ones that I need to see!

SPetty

Fred Agnir
05-21-2002, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>
First off, I'd like to mention that Tony from Talisman was just playing a joke on us with this Big Jeff thing. I spent 10 days looking for this joker, and I had at least a half dozen operatives on the lookout for him as well, but there was simply no Big Jeff there. If there was, I would have found him.<hr></blockquote>

Me too! I finally e-mailed Tony and he was wondering about him as well. Wires musta been crossed. Maybe he'll be there for the VNEA.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Spetty:</font><hr>

I mentioned elsewhere, Fred's energy level *almost* matches Carol's. He is a joy to know and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.<hr></blockquote>
As I said earlier, it was you and Carol that were at those early matches. That's what kept me in the game.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>I think Chris Cass was the highest placed CCBer in the individual standings, although Spiderman and Fred Agnir have nothing to be ashamed of there! <hr></blockquote>

The results are in. Chris Cass finished in an awesome 49th spot. Masters for you next year, my friend. I finished at a comfortable 193rd (out of 40 billion, right Rip?). I take solace in the fact that the guy that knocked me out finished at 25th.

Fred

05-21-2002, 01:18 PM
"Big Jeff" called me on my cell phone after he checked in, I think it was Monday or Tuesday afternoon. He drove all the way from Wisconsin, and was staying at Circus-Circus. I never ran into him at the Convention Center, but then I had back-to-back matches through Friday night. I had planned to meet him at the Orleans to give him a quick lesson in buffet-busting, but we never managed to hook up. Jeff said he was not playing in the tournament. Yes, I think he is sticking around 'Vegas this week also.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Hello,

First off, I'd like to mention that Tony from Talisman was just playing a joke on us with this Big Jeff thing. I spent 10 days looking for this joker, and I had at least a half dozen operatives on the lookout for him as well, but there was simply no Big Jeff there. If there was, I would have found him.

SPetty
<hr></blockquote>

05-21-2002, 01:28 PM
I also played in the open in vegas......

Frustrating as it was, I played nearly PERFECTLY. I missed 2 balls in 4 matches and only won 2 or them.. Damn Canadians!

SpiderMan
05-21-2002, 01:39 PM
I forgot to Log In before that last post.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> "Big Jeff" called me on my cell phone after he checked in, I think it was Monday or Tuesday afternoon. He drove all the way from Wisconsin, and was staying at Circus-Circus. I never ran into him at the Convention Center, but then I had back-to-back matches through Friday night. I had planned to meet him at the Orleans to give him a quick lesson in buffet-busting, but we never managed to hook up. Jeff said he was not playing in the tournament. Yes, I think he is sticking around 'Vegas this week also.

SpiderMan

&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: SPetty:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hello,

SPetty
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>

CarolNYC
05-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Dearest Fred,
I believe in luck and fate and all those kinds of things but as to YOUR MATCHES, it was ALL YOU,baby! You were awesome,played every shot perfect and had the finesse that I hope to get one day! It was an honor for me to part of your cheering crowd-and always will be! Stay well, my friend and hope we will meet again!
Carol~missing the singing of the birds in Vegas!

Barbara
05-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Quote SPetty:

We watched one of Spiderman's matches together. Yep, the boy's got legs!
________

You know, it's a shame Spiderman's jeans weren't just a bit tighter. Then we could've seen whether his legs made a perfect a$$ out of themselves!! LOL!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif!

Babs~~~Barbara's evil twin...

Barbara
05-21-2002, 05:20 PM
No way!! SPetty and I were looking for him!! We even almost went up to this huge guy but SPetty said that he would be wearing a Talisman shirt and this guy wasn't.

What did he look like? How tall was he? What was he wearing??

Barbara~~~wanted to score some free tips...

05-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Surely not "Buffalo Bill" Jason G from NYC? Or if so, what's up buddy?

Barbara
05-21-2002, 07:12 PM
Is this the same Jason that Fran introduced to me at Corner Billiards one Sunday last summer?? (you're like 6'3" or something taller??)

Barbara

SpiderMan
05-22-2002, 12:39 PM
Barbara,

Have a look at the sixth picture in this album, I promise you'll know immediately whether you had the real "Big Jeff".

SpiderMan

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/lst?&amp;.dir=/SpiderVault&amp;.src=ph&amp;.view=t

05-22-2002, 02:05 PM
yes it is.. hello Barbara... Try 6'6" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Nope..Ill take the nickname though

Barbara
05-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Okay, there's no way I saw THAT guy! Geesh! His hair is longer (and a LOT thicker) than Pete's!! I would've noticed that, at least.

SPetty, did you see this guy?

Anyone out there see this guy??

Barbara

SpiderMan
05-23-2002, 07:08 AM
As I mentioned, he called me Mon or Tues and said he was at Circus-Circus, but I never saw him on the convention floor either. After a 30-hour drive, maybe he slept all week?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Okay, there's no way I saw THAT guy! Geesh! His hair is longer (and a LOT thicker) than Pete's!! I would've noticed that, at least.

SPetty, did you see this guy?

Anyone out there see this guy??

Barbara <hr></blockquote>

Rod
05-28-2002, 05:42 AM
SPetty and all I sure wish I could have been there, to meet you and others. I know you all had a great time. If it counts I was thinking of you all. As I said in another post I could have been there thursday for a few hours but it just didn't seem worth while to try and track down all of my fellow CCB buddies in such a short amount of time. I'd always be thinking I need to keep moving around not to miss anyone. I just hate cramming 4 days into one. I had a little withdrawl this last week myself. You all did accomplish what you went for, that is have fun, play pool and let the chips fall where they may, so to speak. Speaking of all of you I have met just a few. Fran is a class lady, even though I had to play with her break cue, lol long story. I never met Rip but he sent me a book, playing off the rail. BTW that book is signed by me and Rip and was meant to be passed along to everyone. I offered to send it to someone just as Rip did to me. Any regulars just tell me and it's on its way to you! The deal is you do the same. Colorful charachters you have up there Rip, LOL. SPetty, $40 for a hoppie isn't bad.
Being lavished in the sky box is even better, poor Rip being left alone to endure the hardships of a bleacher.
Yes Spidey does have legs, he views the game differently than most of us.
CC what can I say, I know you wanted more but I think your talent speakes for its self.
Carol sounds like she is connected to bungie cords and just keeps bouncing back, got to admire that.
Fred feeds off of enthusiasm and so would I, you played well Fred and a good finish.
Amongst others I'd like to meet Barbara, Randy G, and Cuechick just to name a few. I can't remember everyone so I apologize.

I haven't figured out how, as you mentioned, how anyone gets caught up in playing slots or whatever. They obviously just don't get it.