PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning cloth and balls

cnw20
12-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Can I put the balls in my dishwasher?

Whenever I use the table brush it leaves alot behind so I always need to get out the vacuum - is there an easier way to do this or are their better brushes that I can purchase?

Billy_Bob
12-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Don't use dishwasher soap as it is abrasive and will damage the balls. Just stick them in without any soap.

Table: get a roll of wide masking tape. Then pull off a piece about a foot long, then make a circle with sticky side out. Place hand inside of circle of tape and press tape on table where there is lint or hair or whatever. This stuff will stick to the tape.

Paul_Mon
12-08-2004, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cnw20:</font><hr> Can I put the balls in my dishwasher?

Whenever I use the table brush it leaves alot behind so I always need to get out the vacuum - is there an easier way to do this or are their better brushes that I can purchase? <hr /></blockquote>

Do not put them in the dishwasher. This has been brought up before and some people have bleached out the color of the balls. I use a vacuum cleaner attachment (no beater brush) on my table.

<font color="red"> </font color>

Paul Mon

cnw20
12-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks

DavidMorris
12-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Don't think I'd recommend putting the balls in the dishwasher. DW's work primarily due to the very high heat involved. I have no idea of the heat tolerances of phenolic resin (Fred?) but I'd think it wouldn't be a good idea -- you might warp them or something. Aramith makes a ball cleaner you can get online or at any decent billiard supply store. There's also a popular mini-cleaner that attaches to an electric drill that cleans 3-4 balls at a time, goes for around $60 online. As for home-made solutions, you might try a vinegar or lemon-juice solution or a mild household cleaner and a soft cloth.

As for the table, brushing helps but it does leave a lot to be desired. Some people take a very lightly damp rag and wipe the table down. As long as you don't saturate the cloth you should be okay. You might also look into Quick-Clean (http://www.quick-clean.com) as I see it getting a lot of media attention lately. It's supposed to foam up and lift the debris from inside and under the cloth weave. Has anybody here used QC and can give a testimonial? I've been thinking of giving it a try on my table.

As far as Billy_Bob's suggestion of using masking tape, I would think the same thing could be accomplished easier and faster by using one of those cheap lint rollers that has the pull-off tape sheets.

Greg in VA
12-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I can assure you phenolic resin can withstand any temps that a dishwasher could generate. Phenolic resin is used in brake lining and can and does see very high temps.

Fred Agnir
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> Don't think I'd recommend putting the balls in the dishwasher. DW's work primarily due to the very high heat involved. I have no idea of the heat tolerances of phenolic resin (Fred?)<hr /></blockquote>

Dishwasher temperature is well below anything to be worried about for pool balls, I'd think. I think bleach or some chemistry in machine dish washer detergent turns the white into pinkish. That's the biggest problem.

Fred

DavidMorris
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Well, there you go. I figured I'd get an education on that. Brake linings? I had no idea. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kyle
12-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I've heard that the orange furniture cleaner is good for cleanig balls not sure of the name, the place I play at uses some kind of paste that is never buffed off properly.

SnakebyteXX
12-08-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...it leaves alot behind so I always need to get out the vacuum <hr /></blockquote>

There are small canister type vacs that work very well to keep the cloth clean. Because they're small it's not a big deal to keep one within easy reach of the table. I picked up a little 11 amp Panasonic unit that sits in a corner close to the table. It has a vacuum hose for ease of reach and a non-roller brush head that makes it easy to clean the entire table in about five minutes a day.

According to my table mechanic chalk dust is a highly abrasive kind of sand that if left unattended on your table will eventually penetrate into the cloth and shorten its life. Given enough time the chalk dust will also build up under the cloth making the playing surface uneven and further shortening the life of the cloth.

I make a point of vacuuming my table surface every morning before I start play. Sometimes if I notice any extra-heavy chalk streaks building up I will stop what I'm doing and vacuum them away. After chalking up I will also tap the shaft against my palm off to the side of the table to knock off excess dust and prevent it from falling on the cloth.

I also keep the table covered when not in use. The table is covered every night and stays covered until I'm ready to play in the morning. If I know that the table is not going to be used for several hours - it gets covered.

Call me crazy (or anal rententive) but so far my Simonis 860 still looks and plays great.

Just my dos centavos

Snake &lt;-- did I mention that we have five cats and a woodstove? Ashes and cat hair - oh, my!

JimS
12-09-2004, 07:30 AM
I've had a table for about 5 years.

I've always used Karseal Ball Cleaner &amp; Polish, by hand, using a micro-fiber towel, and it does a fine job on my Centennial balls. It takes the spots and marks off and leaves a fine polished finish. Takes only about 10 minutes.

I bought the Mini Polisher but I don't use it much and dont think it's worth $59.

I believe that most any good grade auto polish (with little or no abrasives) would do a great job cleaning and polishing pool balls. I've not tried any, as Karseal has worked just fine for me, so I've stuck with it. www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com) ....which is Muellers

I have 860 on a Diamond Pro 9 ft table. I use a Dirt Devil vac that has a revolving brush and I vac the table every day I play on it. I also wipe the table down with very damp towel (almost dripping wet) about once every 12 hours of play.

I followed this procedure with the table I had prior to this one and when we tore it down to move it out there was very little chalk dust on the slate. My table mechanic was impressed enough to ask about my cleaning methods.

The cloth is faded but I don't know how much of that fading is natural and how much is due to the wiping with a wet towel.

I believe that even though it is faded that it plays better clean that it would if I'd allowed the chalk dust to build up in and under the fibers. I can't prove it one way or the other but I choose to believe it because it seems reasonable....until experience proves me wrong /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

AustinFilAm
12-09-2004, 08:57 AM
For a polisher, I use a plastic ball rack (the container used by pool rooms when you check out a rack). Line the rack with a clean old towel. Then polish the balls with a random orbit car buffer. All 16 balls can be polished at the same time. The vibration from the random orbit buffer makes the balls rotate while polishing (depending on pressure used). Cost: $5 for the rack and $15 for the random orbit buffer at Harbor Freight.

PQQLK9
12-09-2004, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I have 860 on a Diamond Pro 9 ft table. I use a Dirt Devil vac that has a revolving brush and I vac the table every day I play on it. I also wipe the table down with very damp towel (almost dripping wet) about once every 12 hours of play. <hr /></blockquote>

I have been doing the same for several years with excellent results.

Brady_Behrman
12-09-2004, 06:52 PM
QUICK-CLEAN

we use quick clean a few times a week on all of our 55 Tables at Q-Masters. Cloth Last longer and hands stay cleaner. Look at the us open table we just put ion ebay. Cloth looks like new

Look Here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=7120273942

You can get quick-clean at, http://billiardclub.net/shop/index.php/cPath/295

Great Stuff!

Good Luck

Brady Behrman