PDA

View Full Version : 9 ball rules

spinachd
12-08-2004, 11:06 AM
I was in a tournament last year and I was told by the tournament director that you cannot pocket the object ball and call a safety. I haven't been able to find any rule that says that however I am new to 9 ball and I was wondering is this true?

SPetty
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
That's absolutely true. There is no such thing as "safety' in nine ball. If you pocket a ball on a legal shot, then you continue shooting. If you don't want to keep shooting, then you don't pocket the ball.

Deeman2
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spinachd:</font><hr> I was in a tournament last year and I was told by the tournament director that you cannot pocket the object ball and call a safety. I haven't been able to find any rule that says that however I am new to 9 ball and I was wondering is this true? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">There are no "official" rules that cover all tournaments. It's up to the tournament director, in most local cases, to lay out the rules. If you are playing specific rules like Texas Express or BCA or APA each have speciic guidelines. Most of us used to play that a safety could be called when a ball is pocketed but I think now you are just stuck if you make the next ball by accident or on purpose. I'd like to hear how most people play this myself. </font color>

Deeman

Rod
12-08-2004, 11:41 AM
If you pocket any ball playing 9 ball with a legal hit, it's still your turn. The TD was correct.

Rod

Jude_Rosenstock
12-08-2004, 12:16 PM
This is a nine-ball specific rule although you will see it applied to 8-ball under APA rules (not BCA) and may occasionally find it in some localities for other games.

Contrary to what most people believe about how pool should be played, nine-ball IS NOT a call-shot game. In otherwords, if a legal is made on the lowest numbered ball and any ball is pocketed, the shooter must continue shooting. The only exceptions to this rule apply to when the nine-ball is pocketed, the cue-ball is pocketed or a push. Assuming the first two are obvious, in a push situation where a ball is pocketed, although the hit is legal, it is at the discretion of the incoming player to accept the shot "as is" or to have the original shooter proceed.

Therefore, any ball pocketed on a legal shot in normal play entitles (or forces) the shooter to continue. It is the necessary trade-off one gets for playing a game that does not require calling shots.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Troy
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
I can only add that the exception is a "push-out" on the first shot after the break. Any ball pocketed stays down unless it's the 9-Ball -- the 9-Ball gets spotted.

Troy

spinachd
12-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Thank you for clearing that up for me!!