PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson - Innovative New Billiards Line

SPetty
12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
(Sorry - I'm beating PQQLK9 to the punch...)

Smith & Wesson Launches Innovative New Billiards Line; Cues Feature Advanced AVWS Weighing System and Titanium Ferrule

SPRINGFIELD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 8, 2004--Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 152-year old firearms manufacture, has entered the recreational billiards market with a new line of Smith & Wesson Billiard Cues and Accessories through a license with Leisure Pursuits of Wayne, New Jersey. "Recreational billiards customers are a perfect fit with the overall Smith & Wesson branding strategy to cross product lines and communicate with new potential customers." said Tom Taylor, Smith & Wesson Vice President of Marketing. The Smith & Wesson Cues are manufactured utilizing advanced composites and the finest natural materials; and feature a patent pending new weight adjustable system.

Working closely with technical consultant Karl Sloezen, (a 20 year veteran of the World Professional Billiard Tour and former top 20 ranked competitor), Leisure Pursuits designs and manufactures Smith & Wesson Cues using the most advanced cue manufacturing technology available. The cues and shafts are warp proof and damage resistant through temperatures between -113 and 167 degrees Fahrenheit. Unique to the Smith & Wesson Cues are two important features. The first is the patent pending Advanced Variable Weight System (AVWS) that allows you to change the weight of the cue from 18 ounces to 21 ounces without affecting the balance. Secondly, a Titanium Ferrule maximizes the transfer of kinetic energy for added control and consistency on spin and straight shots. All Smith & Wesson Cues come equipped with slim taper shafts in graphite or engineered maple that provide a more level and consistent stroke, and increased resistance to material fatigue.

Jack Mulvihill, President of Leisure Pursuits stated, "We are thrilled with the opportunity to work with Smith & Wesson on this project, and believe that the combination of our innovative cue features and designs, and the overwhelming strength of the Smith & Wesson brand name, provides the retailer and consumer with a powerful new choice in the Billiards Industry"

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=2004120800556 5&newsLang=en

Wally_in_Cincy
12-08-2004, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
...Titanium Ferrule...

<font color="blue">That should have a lovely sound </font color>

...engineered maple shaft

<font color="blue">Similar to engineered wood that you can buy for decks now perhaps? ??? </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I think I'll just buy one of their guns </font color>

Barbara
12-08-2004, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>

Working closely with technical consultant Karl Sloezen, (a 20 year veteran of the World Professional Billiard Tour and former top 20 ranked competitor)<hr /></blockquote>

Never heard of this guy.

But this will give CarolNYC a real reason to say, "Lock and load!".

Barbara

Rod
12-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Apparently they don't buy into the end mass squirt stuff. LOL

I wonder what the weight is compared to a linen ferrule?

Rod

Pizza Bob
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
"Did I sink nine balls, or only eight? Did I punk? Do you feel lucky?"

Just what the world needs...another miracle material, made in Taiwan cue. S&amp;W went off the track during the Clinton Administration, with their former British owners, it looks like they're bound and determined to screw-up yet again. Message to S&amp;W: Stick to what you know - GUNS!

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PQQLK9
12-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Only because I just returned home from my Optomologist and my eyes are still partially dialated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif. My Google alert(billiards) had that story in my email.
I don't know what the cues will be like but S&amp;W may put up some good sponsorship money.

Cueless Joey
12-08-2004, 03:03 PM
It might be a good hustler cue.
Core the whole thing out with maple. Replace the ferrule.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nostroke
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Barb-That is the tall slim 45ish guy that used to and maybe still does own Family Billiards in Bergen NJ. He was partners with Tom Ruocco way back im pretty sure. Like Tom he is a pretty good straight pool player. Bob M probably knows him

Rich R.
12-09-2004, 03:55 AM
The press release never did state the caliber of this cue.
Also, will a holster be available?
Does anyone know these things? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooltchr
12-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Makes sense, I guess. The airlines have already determined that a pool cue is classified as a weapon. I can see some pretty interesting advertising campaigns coming.

With a S&amp;W, you'll be shooting the lights out at the pool room! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
12-10-2004, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> "Did I sink nine balls, or only eight? Did I punk? Do you feel lucky?"

Just what the world needs...another miracle material, made in Taiwan cue. S&amp;W went off the track during the Clinton Administration, with their former British owners, it looks like they're bound and determined to screw-up yet again. Message to S&amp;W: Stick to what you know - GUNS!

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>

It's just wholesale prostitution of their (good?) name, like Chuck Yeager (who apparently would endorse a horse turd if you paid him to). Have a look at S&amp;W knives, they allowed their name to be put on cheap junk mass-manufactured by Taylor Cutlery. Will these cues be any better?

SpiderMan

highsea
12-10-2004, 05:17 PM
S&amp;W had some real problems in the '70's, I think they were owned by AMF. The quality was really bad. My gunsmith wouldn't put one on the shelf until he had done a full action job on it. I have a S&amp;W clip knife, and it's pretty decent (for a SS blade).

What I want to know is, will all these cues be single-shot, or can I buy an automatic?

WaltVA
12-10-2004, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> S&amp;W had some real problems in the '70's, I think they were owned by AMF. The quality was really bad. My gunsmith wouldn't put one on the shelf until he had done a full action job on it. <hr /></blockquote>
I think it was a British company (Punta Gorda?) that took them over and was responsible for the QC problems - I remember taking the sideplates off brand new out-of-the-box models and stoning off burrs you could see without magnification.

I think AMF was responsible for the QC problems at Harley-Davidson.

Walt in VA