PDA

View Full Version : Production Cues

OnTheTable
12-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi, my first post here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.I'm looking around for a cue and the range of cues is pretty open.Can u make an opinion about the best production cues available on the market.Thx

trailboss
12-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Under 100.00 there is Players, Action And a bunch of sneaky petes.. the above all play decent. Above 100.00 you have Lucasi, Mcdermott, Viking, Muecci, Joss and Schon. I am sure there are others that are good as well. It all depends on what you like. Try some of the above out and see if you find one you like. No such thing as a magic cue.

Jude_Rosenstock
12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
I think if you're going to buy yourself a cue because you have a serious interest, you should only look at Trailboss' recommendations ABOVE the $100 mark. It really is difficult finding a solid cue for under $100 and all of the ones he mentions that are above are really perfect for the new cue owner. Keep in mind, as you move further down his list, they get far more expensive. I don't believe there is a Joss and definately no Schons for under $200 but they're GREAT cues worth the money. If you're looking for something that's relatively cheap, easy to take care of and you're not sure of how extensive your interest is, take a look at Cuetec. They're coated in fiberglass which is both good and bad. Most players (including myself) prefer a wood feel BUT they don't warp or dent which is the most common demise of a person's first cue. No matter what, you should try to stick to a reasonable price range until you begin to develop your preferences.

Jude M. Rosenstock

daviddjmp
12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I think Jude hit the nail on the head. Schon would be my personal choice, street price on the STL-1 which is their basic cue is around $450. This cue would last you a long time and hold its value fairly well-

woody_968
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
First of all welcome to the boards /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As far as your question goes if you are asking which production cue is best for you, that would be impossible to asnwer as we all have different tastes in cues. Which company makes the best cue could be answered, but you will get alot of different answers LOL.

IMO and as some have already said I think Joss, Mcdermott, Schon, Falcon and a few others make good cues for the money. Most players will tell you Meucci of old was pretty good, but the ones they make now are lacking in quality control to say the least.

I would recommend getting out and looking at/hitting with as many as you can to try and find out what you like. You may also check around for local people with used cues to buy, as long as you know what to look for or have someone you trust that does.

Woody

Rod
12-08-2004, 04:37 PM
I'll add one more you should consider. They are well made at a fair price. Seyberts sells them Seyberts (http://www.seyberts.com/pechauer/2003/p03.htm)

Rod

woody_968
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I cant believe I left that one off my list /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

OnTheTable
12-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Well, it's kinda tough for me to try most of these cues because I'm from Romania (S-E Europe) and we don't have a billiard store in the entire country!!!.The ones that I've tryed so far are 1Joss (an older model i couldn't find on the net) Lucasi and McDermot.I like the solid hit of the Lucasi.I don't want you to tell me which is "the magic cue" in the production line of cues, but to share your honest oppinions about production cues.I like Schon and Joss, a bit high on price but i hear they hold they're value in time.Thx

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnTheTable:</font><hr>
..I like the solid hit of the Lucasi.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah the Lucasi has a solid hit. It has a thicker taper than the McDermott. The McD does not hit quite as solid but I prefer the McD taper.

If you get a Lucasi try to stay away from the linen wrap. They have a history or unraveling and it sounds like you might have difficulty finding someone to fix it. Do you have any qualified cue repairmen around?

frankbullett
12-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Maybe since this is your first cue this won't make a difference but there are two things I like about McDermott, but not to say all the others aren't good also. They will do any combination of weight and tip size between 11 and 13mm in .25 mm increments and 17-21 oz weight. They also guarantee against warpage for the life of the cue and will install the tip of your choice if you send it to them and they don't have it in stock. It makes it sort of a production/custom cue opportunity for a production cue price. I called around and could not find another "production" cue company offering that kind of package. Also, I recommend dealing directly with the company rather than taking a chance that a discount house would mess up the order.

dooziexx
12-09-2004, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> I don't believe there is a Joss and definately no Schons for under $200 but they're GREAT cues worth the money. <hr /></blockquote>

Jude,
I have the hookups to get brand new Joss cues at $200 and under. Some are as low as $120.
-Erik

dooziexx
12-09-2004, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I think Jude hit the nail on the head. Schon would be my personal choice, street price on the STL-1 which is their basic cue is around $450. This cue would last you a long time and hold its value fairly well- <hr /></blockquote>

For a brand new Schon STL1, I sell them at $380 shipped.

trailboss
12-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Now you say you want a cue that will hold its value! Sorry to tell you that Joss and Schon do hold thier value much better than others but, not as much as you paid for them. The only cue that I know of that will bring more than you paid for it is a Southwest!

petel
12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> the above all play decent. Above 100.00 you have Lucasi, Mcdermott, Viking, Muecci, Joss and Schon. <hr /></blockquote>

The above listed is a good group and Schon does not fit here, they are several tiers above these mentioned. I recently sold my Schon for $50 more than I paid for it. I then immediatly purchased another Schon. Schon is clearly a premier cue and you can not go wrong. Buy the cheapest and you own the most expensive without the frills. Absolutly no difference.