PDA

View Full Version : Digital Straight pool counter

DeadStrokeMan
12-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Two displays are on the table face (skirt) - Player1 and Player2. Only one display is lit at a time signifying which player is "at bat". When a ball is dropped, the pocket sensor increments the count on the "active" players display by one. When a foul is committed - the player can simply hit the "-" button his display to remove the offending "missCounts" (such as cue ball drop ect.)

Now - anyone interested in a unit? I ask because I have the means to invent such a thing - question is ...Is it worth my efforts?

Each pocket has a "sensor" in the bottom of the bag/hole that registers the "drop" - which is digitally pulsed by wire to the host IC which then pulses the "active" player display. It would have a small wire that runs from pocket to pocket under/around the table and to the displays.

Rich R.
12-09-2004, 04:06 AM
The table manufacturers are the ones to ask about this. The question is, would they be willing to add such a feature, with the added production costs, to their tables.
You would have to invent it and then shop it around.

buddha162
12-09-2004, 06:37 AM
In every pool hall in Taipei, each table is equipped with an electronic score board. It basically has buttons for 3 sets of numbers per player: runs per rack, total run, and fouls. The ph I shot at had these boards in plus sizes, so everyone can see what an embarrassment to the game I was.

The device you describe (with pocket sensors) probably is overkill, imo, but you never know.

-Roger

DeadStrokeMan
12-09-2004, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> In every pool hall in Taipei, each table is equipped with an electronic score board. It basically has buttons for 3 sets of numbers per player: runs per rack, total run, and fouls. The ph I shot at had these boards in plus sizes, so everyone can see what an embarrassment to the game I was.

The device you describe (with pocket sensors) probably is overkill, imo, but you never know.

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

Actually not that rough in terms of 'cost/development'. Just irratating when we looze count all the time /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jude_Rosenstock
12-09-2004, 08:14 AM
WOW, this is exactly what I've been talking with my friends about FOR YEARS! It's about time someone with the knowhow is thinking of doing this. In my opinion, I wouldn't bother with automatic ball-counters. There are so many instances where scores would have to be corrected because a pocketed ball didn't count or the sensor didn't pick-up a pocketed ball that I wouldn't bother with it. Besides, I think it's in a players best interest to manually keep track of how many balls were pocketed in a given rack. It makes sense for bowling because NOBODY who bowls less than once a month enjoys keeping score.

However, there are plenty of advantages remaining. In fact, this is a hot topic since the room I play in just replaced all of their tables with new Brunswicks with table-top counters that are sticky because they haven't gotten much use yet. They're also a little sharp and have been scratching our knuckles quite a bit. With a digital counter, you can have it flush with the table and have the "dial" ANYWHERE including in a remote device anchored to the cocktail table where a player would sit. Not only that, you can still have a remote display above the table, showing the score for spectators. I have a number of display ideas that would make it easy to keep track of a straight pool score yet still be ideal for single rack games like nine-ball.

If you decide to do this, please feel free to contact me. I think it would be a wonderful concept to finally modernize pool's scorekeeping (my knuckles will be happy as well).

Jude M. Rosenstock

Billy_Bob
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
I notice all the kids are glued to their electronic games these days. I think if pool tables became electronic, it might help to attract these types. Also I heard that there is a "poker" set of balls. Might be able to tie in games like poker or whatever. Then there is the laser/aiming multi-rail bank thing (or sensing where each ball is on the table and maybe an electronic cue - could get feedback on aiming or whatever???)

Popcorn
12-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Doesn't sound like a difficult thing to make but I don't think there would be much of a market for it. You should work on a one pocket scoring device. There are a lot of scoring mistakes made playing one pocket. I put on a one pocket tournament once and had a small rack by each players chair for the balls they made. I didn't want anyone trying to steal anyone balls or arguments about the score.