PDA

View Full Version : Last-Pocket 8 Ball Rules & Strategy?

nhp
12-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Hi, there is a guy coming around the poolhall wanting to play last pocket 8-ball money games. I don't play this game at all, and this is the only game the guy will play, but he wants weight from me (1 game to 5 for $100). Does anyone know where I can look up all the rules, and perhaps some strategy to the game? The guy is willing to bet alot, but I don't know the game yet.

I know already that the last pocket you shoot your ball in the 8 ball must go in that pocket, and you cannot have the same pocket as your opponent. Does anyone know any strategy, or other rules I should know? Thanks

DavidMorris
12-09-2004, 06:09 AM
I was always under the impression this was a house or bar rule variation of the game. Was this guy Latin or Hispanic by any chance? My son-in-law, who is from El Salvador, says it's very popular in Hispanic culture and that it's the way many Hispanics play 8-ball. I don't recall ever seeing any "official" rules on it myself.

Fred Agnir
12-09-2004, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr>
I know already that the last pocket you shoot your ball in the 8 ball must go in that pocket, and you cannot have the same pocket as your opponent. Does anyone know any strategy, or other rules I should know? Thanks <hr /></blockquote>Right. If you pocket your last ball in your opponent's pocket, he gets to choose your last pocket, but it can't be the side pockets. That's the only way I've seen high-dollar last pocket play.

If he only plays Last Pocket 8-ball, why are you the one giving up weight?

Fred

nhp
12-09-2004, 04:06 PM
The way he plays by is- ball in hand, if you knock your last ball in your opponents pocket, you lose, if the 8 ball gets pocketed in the wrong pocket, you lose, if the cueball gets pocketed when you are on the 8 ball, you lose, and thats about all the rules he plays by.

The reason I am giving this guy weight is because he knows that I play better than him, but supposedly last pocket 8 ball is 'his' game, and he knows I will beat him at all the games I play. I am looking for strategy that I can use, because the guy knows good moves.

Troy
12-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I disagree with "if you knock your last ball in your opponents pocket, you lose" but house rules are just that.
The way I've played is if opponent's last ball goes in a pocket that is already declared as a "last pocket", that player gets the opposite corner. But as I said, house rules are just that.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> The way he plays by is- ball in hand, if you knock your last ball in your opponents pocket, you lose, if the 8 ball gets pocketed in the wrong pocket, you lose, if the cueball gets pocketed when you are on the 8 ball, you lose, and thats about all the rules he plays by.

The reason I am giving this guy weight is because he knows that I play better than him, but supposedly last pocket 8 ball is 'his' game, and he knows I will beat him at all the games I play. I am looking for strategy that I can use, because the guy knows good moves. <hr /></blockquote>

highsea
12-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Last Pocket is very popular with the Mexicans. I have played it some, but not a lot, so take this for what it's worth. I don't really have a "strategy", but a couple rules of thumb I try to follow:

I try to pick my last ball/8 ball series and my pocket early in the rack, and work backwards from there. I won't pick a side pocket unless I have an obvious out, i.e. a draw shot on my last ball that gives me an easy 8 in the same side.

The easiest out for me is a last ball that goes past the 8 into the 8's corner pocket, with the CB stopping or drifting up into position for the 8, so it's important to be on the right side of the last ball.

If I don't have a good out combination, bumping the 8 into a better position helps me and hurts him, because he is planning his out too, and this might throw him off.

If he is on the 8 and I have to give up the table, I want to put the CB in front of his pocket. e.g. force him to make the 8 on a bank shot.

Other than that, normal 8 ball strategy applies, don't runout until you can, etc. The main thing is getting position on your last ball so you have a shot on the 8.

Pretty obvious stuff really, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Harold Acosta
12-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Last Pocket 8 Ball for Money is what we call "Real Dirty 8 Ball."

It is practically the opposite of everything you know about 8 ball; so you really have to be a very "intelligent and saavy player."

1. Only 3 balls need to hit cushion at the break. Some people play it without this requirement (no balls need to hit cushion; just hit the rack). This has to be established before the game starts.

2. No frozen balls in rails are called. All you need to do is hit the object ball cleanly.

3. You do not need to hit any cushion after any shot as long as you hit your ball first.

4. Your ball ALWAYS have to go in first to continue shooting.

5. If your opponent shoots his last ball into your already called last pocket, you select the pocket he will shoot his ball into. This includes calling the side pockets. Obviously you will call the pocket in which your opponent would have the hardest time pocketing his ball into.

6. The 8 ball has to go in clean, without touching any other ball in route to the pocket. If it touches any ball, you lose the game.

7. You can bank the cueball and then hit your object ball and this is a legal hit. Neither ball has to touch a cushion.

8. When the 8 is the last ball for both opponents, you do need to hit the 8 ball but you dont need to hit a cushion (you could freeze the cueball to the 8 ball).

On another note. The guy who is inviting you to play could be a hustler. He might be trying to hustle you into a came you will not win. No matter how good you are.

Why I say that? Because the "real good" last pocket 8 Ball players of the world could probably give you 4 or 5 pockets and choose only 1 or 2 pockets and beat the crap out of anyone they play.

In my opinion this guy is hustling you or he is really a wimp or trash talker; trying to impress and scare you because you don't know the game.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

choker
12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
I've played this game in Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic, but I didn't know about Rule #6! I guess I was lucky and hit the 8 in clean, since there were no objections. That rule sure seems harsh, especially considering the loose standards that do not penalize "nudge" shots without contacting any rail.

nhp
12-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have seen this guy around for the past couple years, and friends of mine who know him really well tell me exactly how he plays. I can beat the guy in any game, but they said he would give me a hard time in last pocket 8 ball, especially with me spotting him.

1Time
12-11-2004, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Thanks for the replies everyone. I have seen this guy around for the past couple years, and friends of mine who know him really well tell me exactly how he plays. I can beat the guy in any game, but they said he would give me a hard time in last pocket 8 ball, especially with me spotting him. <hr /></blockquote>

1 game to 5 is a fairly steep spot to begin with. 8-ball is a game that "tends" to even the odds between a better and lesser player. Last pocket "tends" to even these odds even more. Thus, the 1 game to 5 spot becomes even more difficult to over come. As far as rules are concerned, it's simply best to make sure you each agree to all the rules before playing for a c-note. Presenting him with written rules before playing and having him agree to them would be best. I've played many games where the rules were not covered extensively up front only to have the lesser player try to bend them or make them up during the game in his favor. Of course that usually just made my victory all the better. However, again you're dealing with a pretty steep spot. Last pocket is tricky especially if you're not experienced at it. One-pocket and bank pool would definitely help you play better last pocket 8-ball. I wouldn't take the bet even if I could get away with spotting him the 7,8, and 9 in 9-ball. The guy's running a scam on those who are not aware of or under-appreciate the points I've made. I'm not saying he couldn't be beat, but I wouldn't try it... and I can routinely beat the average player on a bar table using the butt-end of a cue.

Steve - Detroit
12-12-2004, 07:21 AM
FWIW, R. Givens devotes a chapter to the game in his book, The Eight Ball Bible.