PDA

View Full Version : Nead BREAK CUE ADVICE

BritzSticks
12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys and Gals..:)..You May Remember Me as the Guy who was looking for all kinds of advice on Tables a few weeks ago, and It's 12 Days Until My BRAND NEW 9' BRUNSWICK GOLD CROWN IV Is Delivered into my New 575 sq' Poolroom addition that will be completed by Then...Can you tell I'm excited???..:)..I know I'm bragging a bit here, and don't mean too..Believe You Me, I am NOT a Guy with Deep Pockets...Just Great Credit..:)..OK..Today, I need advice on BREAK CUES. I already have a Jump Cue and it seems that Most Break Cues on Ebay are advertised as Jump/Break Cues and I don't know if I'm giving up anything, along the lines of Power, If I get a Jump/Break Cue as opposed to just a Break Cue. I am not familiar with what to look for along the lines of the Physics of Break Cues to Knowledgably purchase one. I would appreciate any Input here as far as What to look for and any specific Cue to get would be nice to hear about also. I have NO Interest in Spending $200 in this endeavor, if $50 will do it. I simply want to further "Standardize" My Break and would like to Not have to worry about whether I'm using a Good Enough Cue for the Job. I hope you're all doing great and Remember to KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN Through the Entire Shot!!!..:)...Thanks Again all..You Guys have Really been VERY Helpful!!!..All the Best, Nick..:)

crawdaddio
12-09-2004, 12:09 PM
It's a little more than 200$, but I highly recommend the sledgehammer. IMO it works MUCH better than comparable (but cheaper) jump breakers. The bunjee blaster is around 120$ and works OK, but not as well as a SH, mace, or grey ghost.

See thread:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=166285&page=0&v iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

~DC

Jude_Rosenstock
12-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Well, if this is strictly for home use, you might as well use a Dufferin House cue. You'll need a few house-cues for guests anyway and the Dufferin is as solid as the come. Something to keep in mind, you really can't compare the Dufferins you see at the poolroom to what you'll have at home simply because yours will get far less use.

I really like the Sledgehammer, The Predator Break cue and on the cheaper end, the Lucasi & The Falcon but all are 2 or 3 piece cues that are intended for the poolroom player. If all you're worried about is a solid cue to break with, just use a house cue and you'll be fine.

Jude M. Rosenstock

PQQLK9
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
ditto!

Rollthecheez
12-09-2004, 01:18 PM
I recently purchased a Players brand sneaky pete to use as a break cue. These are inexpensive (you can get one at www.ozonebilliards.com (http://www.ozonebilliards.com) for $36) and they do the job. I had a phenolic tip installed for $15 and this plus the stiff taper made it into a nice break cue.

catscradle
12-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I have a Sledgehammer and a Dufferin Phantom ($70.00) with the hardest leather tip I could find. The Dufferin breaks as well as the Sledgehammer and has better control. The only reason I use the Sledgehammer is because it jumps much better and I don't want to carry both of them around. If you've already got a jump stick, get a cheap cue like my Phantom and put a really hard leather tip or a phenolic tip on it.

SnakebyteXX
12-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Here's a link to site (Platinum Billiards) where a comparative test was run on available break cues to see which ones were fastest. Not sure if faster is better when it comes to break cues but at least you have something with which to compare.

"SPEED RATINGS

HOW AND WHAT WE TEST

As you can see from the chart, break cues are not necessarily the fastest cues. They may, however, have other advantages such as the jump/break feature, or perhaps stronger or stiffer construction.

Our robot precisely repeats a speed of stroke, and for this test it is set to produce cue ball speeds in the range of 24 - 25mph we believe this to be the average break speed among top players; we are aware that there are a few players that may attain cue ball speeds upwards of 30mph but this is rare and by no means average. We also have observed that a cue that is faster at one speed of stroke is consistently faster at all speeds.

With each cue, dead center strikes are made until the tip fully compresses and top speed is reached. Test weights of cues vary a bit but we try to keep them around 19 ounces and our equipment is set up so that changing the weight of a cue an ounce or so in either direction has an insignificant effect on cue ball speed produced."

Break Cue Test (http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_break.php?sid=d922ffef3841bb171a88494b21d99 d5e)

Rod
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we believe this to be the average break speed among top players; we are aware that there are a few players that may attain cue ball speeds upwards of 30mph but this is rare and by no means average. <hr /></blockquote>

There marketing strategy is give people expectations of a pro player. It ain't gonna happen and selling the idea of speed, which is much lower for most of the pool playing population. Even if one thinks they can hit this hard, 9 out of 10 times whitey goes all over the place.

I'll suggest as others, a good house cue works. In time you can find a inexpensive cue to break with and just put on a hard tip. You don't need phenolic, just a hard one. Learn how to break accurate first, no matter what cue is used. When you can squat whitey 8 of 10 times your good to go.

Rod

Fred Agnir
12-09-2004, 02:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> Here's a link to site (Platinum Billiards) where a comparative test was run on available break cues to see which ones were fastest. <hr /></blockquote>I know nothing of Platinum Billiard's robot, but I would hope that they've done the proper engineering to properly decouple the robot from the cue stick.

The results are too tight a group, IMO. The difference of the worst to the best almost suggests statistical equivalence across the board.

Either the difference truly is only a few percent, or the test has an inherent error. I guess until I see the setup, the numbers make me lean towards the latter.

I'm sure my good buddy Shane Sinnot will have a few choice words with me.

Fred &lt;~~~ inherently cynical

Jude_Rosenstock
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I agree in whole with what Fred has to say. What makes buying ANY cue difficult has, in large part, to do with the fact that you are essentially taking two pieces of wood and hoping they feel like one. If this is a break cue for home use, I see no reason to spend the extra money on a joint that will do nothing but cost more money. The very principal behind getting a break cue is to save your shooting cue some stress, not because the break cues out there have a significant advantage. In fact, my best breaks are often times with my shooting cue which makes sense when you think about it. It's the cue I'm most familiar with.

Get a few Dufferins. Your friends will be happy and you'll have your break-cue.

Jude M. Rosenstock

dooziexx
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Personally I like MACE the best. But if you are in a money jam, use your house cue for breaks. In my opinion, if you are not willing to spend the $$ for a quality break cue, then you might as well keep your money rather than wasting it on a $50 Player sneaky pete, Cuetec etc because a dufferin house cue is a hell of alot better cue than Players, Cuetec etc. MACE, Sledgehammer, Omen's Grey Ghost etc are all custom made jump/break cues and they are specifically made for that breaking and jumping.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> ...if you are in a money jam, use your house cue for breaks. In my opinion, if you are not willing to spend the $$ for a quality break cue, then you might as well keep your money rather than wasting it on a $50 Player sneaky pete....<hr /></blockquote>

I have a $44 J&amp;J sp w/ a Talisman breaking tip (hard leather) and I prefer using it to using a house cue.

Sometimes the house cues don't hold chalk.