PDA

View Full Version : BREAK CUE CLARIFICATION QUESTION

BritzSticks
12-09-2004, 07:15 PM
OK Gang..Let me redo my Break Cue Question. I'm trying to deduce whether the cost of a quality Break Cue is Justified. I have Dozens of Cues laying around. If I just pick a low Value Nicer Straight Cue out and put like a Water Buffalo Tip on it, will that get me essentialy to where I Need to Be, having a perfectly usable Break Cue. Or is there a Noticable Difference if I Invest in a Quality Cue, like a Sledgehammer or something?? Are Break Cues Basically like Other Cues in that it basically just depends "Whos Drivin'" or is there Something to Really Be Gained by Investing in a Quality Cue due to design elements or something of that nature???? For a Couple of years, I've just been using another of my Cues as my Break Cue in Tournaments and Elsewear, and have really NO Experience with a Cue Specificaly made for Breaking..Once Again..Any Imput is Greatly appreciated...Later Gators..Nick..:)

cueball1950
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I bought a cheasp sneaky pete that is wood to wood joint that looks just like a house cue when put together. it weighs 21 oz and all i did was put a talisman break tip on it. I have tried preditor and still liked my sneaky pete better...jmho.............................mike

Billy_Bob
12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
You need to go to a dealer who will let you try different weight break cues. Then try breaking 9-ball racks with the different weights to see which weight works best for YOU.

People are different. Some do better with a heavier cue, some do better with a lighter cue.

Then I would suggest getting a cue which has a metal to metal screw, metal to metal rings at the joint, euro tapered 13mm or 14mm shaft (more sturdy for hard hits), quarter shaped tip, break jump tip like a Tiger break/jump tip, and a quarter shaped shaping tool (some cheap tip repair kits have a sandpaper shaper which is quarter shaped.

dingle
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Weight is more important than anything. Some say lighter is better, but I believe this really depends on how you break. I'd go lighter if you shoot with a cue that is 20 oz. or more. Otherwise, why not use the same weight and tip size as your playing cue.

I wouldn't recommend a sneaky pete or wood to wood joint if you break really hard. I had a players sneaky pete that the butt end spit about 3 or 4 inches up when I broke.

bomber
12-10-2004, 12:04 PM
i prefer to do something that most people cringe about...i would just rather break with my playing cue....i play and break with a Capone Custom...no matter what anyone says to me, i wont change....i am comfortable with the cue and i break with it better than any other....damage or no damage, i will always break with it.

RedHell
12-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. No matter what people say, if one of my cue can't stand the break, it doesn't deserve to be in my case.

Still I use a break cue, why ? Simple.. TIP ! I prefer a harder tip (read XtraHard) on my break than my playing cue. Plus as I play with a medium talisman, breaking with it would have the tendency to flat it down. This is the only reason why I switch cue.

Even more, everytime I have upgraded in cue quality, my playing has become my breaking cue. Since I bought my Reeves at the Open, my Falcon was re-tipped and is now a break cue.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2004, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> ... Since I bought my Reeves at the Open, my Falcon was re-tipped and is now a break cue. <hr /></blockquote>

BTW I played some 14.1 with Bob_in_Cincy Wednesday night and he showed me his Reeves cue. It was very nice. Cocobolo butt, 4 cocobolo points with venners in a birds eye handle. Nice rings including above and below the wrap.

I forgot to hit a few balls with it before I left. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedHell
12-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey Wally,

To bad you didn't hit with it. I would be curious to have you comment on the amount of deflection the cue has. In my case, I'm currently using the default Reeves shaft/tapper. I had to adjust to a very strong deflection level.

As an update, I finaly conctacted Jimmy Reeves and he is currently turning me a shaft to my specs. I requested that he reduces the diameter to 12.75 and increases the taper by 2 inches. I expect that this will reduce the deflection considerably. He seemed to agree...

Right now, I just can't wait to get it.... Yet another adjusting phase.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2004, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> ...To bad you didn't hit with it. I would be curious to have you comment on the amount of deflection the cue has....
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm not good enough to tell you that Red Hell. Besides that I would not be able to write the equation for dr_dave and Fred Agnir. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedHell
12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure you could !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif