PDA

View Full Version : Pool Table Disassembly.

Stretch
12-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi all! Pops wanted to buy a second hand pool table and asked me to look around for something. Well i found it! Done deal....now i gotta move it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It's a beauty little 4x8 Canada billiard and Bowling Aniversary Eddition. 3 piece slate one and a half in. thick, brand new cloth..... Sweet /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm getting a good table mechanic to set it up of course, but not till spring. I just gotta tear it down and move it for now......i've never done it before. I know it's a two man job, preferably more lol. but i was just wondering. Can any of you experienced people give me a general step by step how-to of it. It's amazing all these years of playing on them, and i don't know a whole lot about it.

I want to save the cloth if i can even if it means pulling a million stapes, and i know where the rail bolts and pocket bolts are. Outside of that...not much. Is it that tuff a job?? St.

SPetty
12-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Actually, it's not really too tough to disassemble a table. I've participated in disassembling at least five different times.

You might want to have a "bolt bucket" handy...

Remove the rails from the table. Sometimes you've got to figure out how to take them apart at the corners and pockets, but depending on what you're doing and who's helping, you can sometimes just take off the whole square rail assembly and transport it that way.

Remove the cloth from the table. On the table you describe, it's probably a bunch of staples. It's possible that they've used some adhesive around the edges - if so, tug gently...

Remove the slate from the frame. There will be bolts that go through the slate into the frame. Remove these and the slate should come right off.

That leaves the frame. You should now be able to see enough of it to tell how to take it apart enough to move it.

Just reverse the process to put it back together. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
12-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Stretch, SPetty forgot to mention one very important thing.

DON'T DROP THE SLATE!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
12-10-2004, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Stretch, SPetty forgot to mention one very important thing.

DON'T DROP THE SLATE!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

And Rich forgot to mention another important thing.

If you're going to store the slate for any amount of time, do not have it directly touching the ground. Put some 2x4s on the ground and then put plastic over the 2x4s and then put the slate on top of the plastic. And I'm talking heavy milled plastic that you get at a hardware store, too. You don't want the slate to wick any moisture off the floor.

Barbara

Stretch
12-10-2004, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Stretch, SPetty forgot to mention one very important thing.

DON'T DROP THE SLATE!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

And Rich forgot to mention another important thing.

If you're going to store the slate for any amount of time, do not have it directly touching the ground. Put some 2x4s on the ground and then put plastic over the 2x4s and then put the slate on top of the plastic. And I'm talking heavy milled plastic that you get at a hardware store, too. You don't want the slate to wick any moisture off the floor.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Barbara. I didn't know that about slate and i will be storing it in his basement (soon to be Pool Room). I'll be sure now to take the precautions you suggest.

And thanks Rich and Spetty! Not quite as daunting as i thought. Now to find a truck........any of you guys got a truck? Watcha doin next weekend........

.....Geezes it's quiet all of a sudden.....;) St.

Rich R.
12-11-2004, 05:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> ........any of you guys got a truck? Watcha doin next weekend........

.....Geezes it's quiet all of a sudden.....;) St. <hr /></blockquote>
Sorry Stretch, I don't have a truck and I believe I'm busy, on whatever weekend you plan on moving the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Moving those slates is no fun at all, especially going up and down any steps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Get as many strong hands, to help, as possible. Cold beer is always a good insentive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
12-11-2004, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Cold beer is always a good incentive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>That's how I've moved a piano and a cast iron bathtub in the past... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry
12-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Hi Stretch,

I don't expect you'll have much trouble taking down your table and you should be able to reuse your cloth as well. I had the same concerns when I picked up my 9'er, I took down my 8'er and set it up for the new owner with no problems. The cost of someone coming up here to set up my table was too high so I did it myself and had no problems at all, and when I go to put new cloth on the table i'll do it myself as well. The most difficult part was setting up the 8'er because it was not a commercial table or a high end table, I had to shim the slate after the frame was leveled, but with my 9'er, once I leveled the frame the slate went on level as well with no shims. Good Luck, Terry

Stretch
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Hi Stretch,

I don't expect you'll have much trouble taking down your table and you should be able to reuse your cloth as well. I had the same concerns when I picked up my 9'er, I took down my 8'er and set it up for the new owner with no problems. The cost of someone coming up here to set up my table was too high so I did it myself and had no problems at all, and when I go to put new cloth on the table i'll do it myself as well. The most difficult part was setting up the 8'er because it was not a commercial table or a high end table, I had to shim the slate after the frame was leveled, but with my 9'er, once I leveled the frame the slate went on level as well with no shims. Good Luck, Terry
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Terry,great hearing from you. I figured i'd look around for one of them staple pullers today. You think i could find one? And fighting the Christmas retail frenzy now? ARG! Talk about stupid salesmen too, oh well that's another thread lol. That table is sure going to look nice in the room we're putting it in. Not going to bother till Spring though, Man i got 10 million things on the go now! St.~~thinks he can make it through Christmas before escapeing to Florida~~