PDA

View Full Version : Depression and Competing?

Sid_Vicious
12-11-2004, 10:38 AM
What's the opinions in playing a tournament when you are really depressed over NPR issues. Is it a negative idea or a relief from the realities of the day???sid

Ives
12-11-2004, 11:00 AM
I think everyone needs an escape from the everyday problems that life can throw our way. For me it might be playing golf or flying rc planes or ,,,, playing pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif As far as tournaments go, I think it depends on the specific reason for feeling down. If your playing badly it might just make the bad feelings even worse. If its just a case of the unexplained blues than a few turns at the table might be just the thing to pick you back up.

Billy_Bob
12-11-2004, 11:04 AM
What is NPR?

I think the thing to keep in mind is that you have the option to play in the tournament or to not play in the tournament.

And if you play in the tournament, you have the option of playing seriously or just playing for fun/socializing and don't care if you win/lose.

Sometimes I have had nothing to do and went to a tournament just to socialize. Didn't really care if I won any games or not. And when I do this, I usually enjoy the evening out.

Your choice...

PQQLK9
12-11-2004, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> What is NPR?<hr /></blockquote> Non Pool Related /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ives
12-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I think he meant " Non Pool Related".

Sid_Vicious
12-11-2004, 11:20 AM
It's issues totally non pool related, fueled along side two nights of sleep totaling approx. 1 hour(ouch!) I'm thinking it's probably going to be the thing to do since it's a friendly bunch with a low buy in, but it did dawn on me whether it might also be depressing to choke runout and winning shots badly and end up feeling both pool depression and also life depression. I've actually shot pool in this kind of funk before and finished in money, go figure. I can't say I had fun when that happened, it just unfolded for me, many "gifts" from my opponents if you know what I mean..sid

Wally_in_Cincy
12-11-2004, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Is it a negative idea or a relief from the realities of the day???sid <hr /></blockquote>

To me it would be a relief.

BTW I hope you fell better soon, life's too short to be depressed.

Stretch
12-11-2004, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> It's issues totally non pool related, fueled along side two nights of sleep totaling approx. 1 hour(ouch!) I'm thinking it's probably going to be the thing to do since it's a friendly bunch with a low buy in, but it did dawn on me whether it might also be depressing to choke runout and winning shots badly and end up feeling both pool depression and also life depression. I've actually shot pool in this kind of funk before and finished in money, go figure. I can't say I had fun when that happened, it just unfolded for me, many "gifts" from my opponents if you know what I mean..sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well me, if i'm stressed out already i'm not looking for any added tournament related stress. I just find that i don't compete at my best when things are out of whack elswhere so i don't bother. Practice however, that's what i love to do to relax. It's like going out to the wood pile and workin it out. St ~~

stickman
12-11-2004, 09:28 PM
For me, I don't play well when I'm not right with the world. I play anyway. It helps take my mind off the things that bother me for a while anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Subconsciously, it may affect my playing, but as I say, I play anyway.

tateuts
12-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Generally speaking, it's the kind of depression that matters. If you're just feeling a little down, being around pool and people can perk you up. I don't know about competing, but just being around people who are not down can help pull you out of it.

I had a serious depression when I quit smoking. There was not a single thing I enjoyed, and I was either down or a negative A-Hole to my family, friends, and employees no matter what I was doing and it lasted pretty bad for three or four months. I think I apologized to everyone later on, but it was rough. I actually saw a psychologist about it (my wife made me), and all he talked about was how rough it was for him to quit smoking too.

Pool can be an escape. Sometimes the act of escaping cause the problems that cause the depression. Any kind of depression that doesn't go away in a week or two is something to take seriously.

Chris

nhp
12-12-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What's the opinions in playing a tournament when you are really depressed over NPR issues. Is it a negative idea or a relief from the realities of the day???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid- I was at the height of my depression after a breakup with a girl I really liked, and went on to win a big tournament. Throughout the entire 2-day tournament, I was so focused and in the zone, I didn't think of her once.

Sid_Vicious
12-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Chris...I powered off the cause of the depression this morning and had a good day today riding motorcycles and playing pool. I've actually been depressed for more than two weeks but today I empowered myself to kill off a non caring relationship, and I truly popped out of this funk. Thanks for relating to me and letting me know your ordeal. Now I'll wonder about my own task of stopping smoking, cuz it got hightened during all this, but that is going to be another day, not today...sid

Sid_Vicious
12-12-2004, 04:53 PM
nhp...I played in a raging mad a couple weeks ago due to the same source as the subject in this thread, and that night I played closer to my best than I can remember, only time it was better was when the bliss was the chapter of my life, and I played even better then. Thing is, you can't create the same, or even a hint of the feelings you feel if that person is all f'd up and hateful. I understand this now and things were good today. As Eddie said in COM, "I'm back!"...sid

Sid_Vicious
12-12-2004, 04:59 PM
stickman...I play anyway too, just this time I hit a level below any depression I'd encountered in several years, but the outcome in that day at the PH indeed had me joking and hitting balls not so bad, made a small piece of change with one guy and was complimented on my game. Thanks...sid

dg-in-centralpa
12-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Sid - for me, if I'm somewhat depressed from job related stress, I'll take it out on whoever I'm shooting in league. I've had some of my best days when having a bad day at work. I want to crush my opponent so he feels as bad as I do.

DG

stickman
12-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Sid, I'm glad you had a good outing. Keep doing things you enjoy and be good to yourself. You'll beat this temporary condition. Only you have the control over whether you're happy or sad. Exercise it, and don't relinguish that control. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jim

Cali
12-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I never really know till I get shooting. If I am shooting well and in a crappy mood I usually go ahead and play. IF everything works out I usually place thus making me feel a whole lot better about myself. Do this without using unprescribed drugs or alcohol so if you do lose you don't sink deeper. On the other hand if you are feeling under the weather I have sometimes found out I could not concentrate on anything , not even pool and found myself in a worse mood after going 2 and out. Take your pick. Jon

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 06:02 AM
"this without using unprescribed drugs or alcohol so if you do lose you don't sink deeper"

Yikes, no alcohol!? I do understand, but alcohol is my friend, before and after this kind of junk. I'd be out of my norm for sure. Thanks, I'm just making light of this topic now when I can, I do appreciate your help...sid

tateuts
12-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Sid,

Good to hear it. I hope you find the right one. In the meantime, pool is a great diversion for this kind of thing.

My friends used to pull me out of a girlfriend funk better than anything. I just couldn't stay down with all their joking around.

See you and take care,

Chris