PDA

View Full Version : My new cue,, what to do??

Scuffer
12-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Hello all as I am new to this site.

I would like explain myself as a pool player who has played pool ever since I could see over the top edge of the pool table and was playing with my hands. I called it hand-ball then (Age 6-8) but this is because I was too small/young to be able to play with a standard pool cue since I was too short. I am now 30 years old and at 5' 11" I am able to play fine with a standard pool cue.

Everybody here at billiards digest seem to be very helpful and I will express my thanks to anyone who helps me with thier responses to my questions,,Thank-you.

My question(s) are these as I hope you may be able to help.

#1 I am now in search of a new pool cue. I have been using a Viking cue which is now about 13 years old and is around the VM30 model. It weighs 19.5 ounces and has the factory 12mm shaft. I have had great experience with this cue but I want to buy a new one to replace it now.

I am looking to spend 500-900 on my new baby and was wondering what you all thought?

#2 Some of the cues I am looking at have the "quick release" joint on them. Is this joint able to withstand the test of time?? Is it reliable, and most importantly is this joint good??? I know that any joint is prone to being cross-threaded but any thread is prone to that "if" your not careful. My Viking cue has a brass joint with a brass screw of 5/16" and brass insert in the shaft.Any ideas?

#3 I know there are those who say "customs" are the way to go in this price range and others may differ from that thought. I would like a cue which is well decorated and is pleasing to the eye but is a good shooter also. I need to stay in my price range (500 to 900). There are many cues available in the "production" variety and fewer in the "custom" variety from which I would like. Do any of you see it as being a bad thing for a person to buy a more expensive but well decorated production cue like a McDermott??

#4 To give you a idea of what my tastes are in a cue that I would like to buy this is a example of a cue which grabs my attention because of it's stunning looks and a reputible manufacturer. The cue model is a McDermott M16A or M1-6A. It has what I consider to be quite stunning looks and carries the McDermott lifetime warranty. What do you all think?? Am I at a disadvantage to even think of this brand of cue?

Please express what you all think about my ideas and questions as I REALLY appreciate it and as I said earlier Thank-you very much.

Sid_Vicious
12-11-2004, 06:03 PM
First, the Viking you have is a fine cue. If you are indeed looking for a nice cue with a good hit in that price range, get a Gilbert. I wouldn't buy a McDermott for the decorations, I have a Prestige 2 which has not the hit of my $300 Gilbert. JM2C sid

trailboss
12-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Sid has good advice.. Gilbert, Jacoby or Josey cues all around 300.00 will do the trick. All play well. JMO

1Time
12-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Price and looks of the cue aside, I HIGHLY recommend trying out as many different cues as you can to see what you like and what works best for you.

I'd sooner buy a used cue after trying it out and finding it's "the one" than to buy a new one through the mail on a hope and a prayer that it would "feel" and perform as well. However, I prefer to buy new but I'd only do so after comparing several different models and finding "the one". I'm sure you'll have an excellent selection at that price point but the important thing is to get out there and compare, compare, compare.

tateuts
12-11-2004, 08:43 PM
You can get a lot of different answers on customs, etc., but if you like the McD there is nothing wrong with your choice.

The McDermott quick release joint is their own unique version - it's an absolutely rock solid joint unlike anything else out there. Personally, I think it is the best playing steel joint out there. I wish everyone could try a cue with it. I had a McDermott EM with the QR joint and a leather wrap. That cue was better than 99% of the customs I've played with, and I've played with a lot. Everyone liked the cue. It wasn't quite long enough for me, so I sold it.

Here's also a link to their anniversary series cue - which is an updated copy of the McDermott Masterpieces which were very expensive. This cue is under $600 and has tons of inlay work, the QR joint, and a premium shaft. There were several models but I think the rest are long gone.

http://www.billiardstore.com/McDermott03/EM2Ab.htm

McDermott does a very nice job with leather wraps at a small additional charge too. Their repair department is reasonable and efficient.

The upper end McDermott's are good cues and have a nice
following among players and collectors alike.

Chris

cubswin
12-11-2004, 09:23 PM
If it was me I'd look at a schon for a production cue. www.erikleecues.com (http://www.erikleecues.com) has some good pricing on a few models. For my 500-900 I'd probably try to find a scruggs either new or used. You could, at least a year ago, get a nice looking cue from Tim in that price range.

I also like dzuricky cues, www.dzcues.com (http://www.dzcues.com) Think that they hit very well and nicely priced. I'd personally get something custom if I had 900 to spend on a cue. You get to add to the design, better resale if you get another cue, and usually better made than production cues. I've had both production and custom, and just like the customs better. Schon makes about the best production cue going, and Joss makes a nice one as well.

petel
12-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes Schon, great cues.

BLACKHEART
12-11-2004, 10:25 PM
A couple of things come to mind about what you've said. Regardless of what you think your present Q weighs...WEIGH IT. Many distributors with an order for a 19 oz.(for example) will grab the closest thing to it & slap a 19 oz. sticker on it. Your Q could weigh as much as a full oz. more or less than you've been told. Next, balance your present Q on your finger, to establish the BALANCE POINT. Since you now know the taper,tip,balance point, joint type & length, you are better prepared to search for a new stick...JER

Fred Agnir
12-11-2004, 11:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scuffer:</font><hr>I am looking to spend 500-900 on my new baby and was wondering what you all thought? <hr /></blockquote>If you like the Viking VM30, I'd say to go with another Viking with the SS joint.

If you want to go to a higher end cue at 500-900, I think a mid level Joss, a lower level Schoen, an SS joint Jacoby or an SS joint Pechauer are your next options.

Fred

onepocketfanatic
12-12-2004, 12:08 PM
My advise would be as posted in one of the earlier posts. Look at several different cues
My personal likes are Joss (josscues.com), Schon (schoncues.com), and Jerry Olivier (jocues.com)They all handle cues that are well within your price range.
If you are like me, the design of the cue has to appeal to my eye first, and then I will hit some balls with it.
I would suggest going on line and comparing some of the looks and prices on custom VS production cues.
Me personally, I would buy a custom cue if I were going to spend that kind of money. With a custom cue through (for example) Olivier you get a very wide choice of what you put into the cue (different colored woods, veneers,ivory, malecite,mother of pearl,shoot...even diamonds and rubys if you budget is big enough).
Again this is just personal taste, and for that kind of money I would rather have someone "build" my cue to my specifications and looks rather than purchase a production cue (though there is nothing wrong with production cues seeing as I personally own two of them).
I think you will be surprised at the selection of custom cues out there that are in your price range.
Look on-line and see what appeals to your eye, and price it. Good luck on your search and I am sure that for that kind of bucks you will have a pretty cue.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2004, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scuffer:</font><hr>

...#4 To give you a idea of what my tastes are in a cue that I would like to buy this is a example of a cue which grabs my attention because of it's stunning looks and a reputible manufacturer. The cue model is a McDermott M16A or M1-6A. ... <hr /></blockquote>

this one?

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/PAGES/McDCues/2001%20Series/M16A.htm

as an unabashed McDermott fan I am of the opinion that they are quality cues