PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 10, cuffed for scissors in school

SnakebyteXX
12-11-2004, 06:23 PM
December 11, 2004

PHILADELPHIA -- A 10-year-old girl was placed in handcuffs and taken to a police station because she took a pair of scissors to her elementary school.

School district officials said the fourth-grade student did not threaten anyone with the 8-inch shears, but violated a rule that considers scissors to be potential weapons.

Administrators said they were following state law when they called police Thursday, and police said they were following department rules when they handcuffed Porsche Brown and took her away in a patrol wagon.

"My daughter cried and cried," said her mother, Rose Jackson. "She had no idea what she did was wrong. I think that was way too harsh."

Police officers decided the girl hadn't committed a crime and let her go.

However, school officials suspended her for five days. Administrators will decide at a hearing whether she may return to class, or be expelled to a special disciplinary school.

The scissors were discovered while students' belongings were being searched for property missing from a teacher's desk.

School district officials have promised a crackdown on unruly students this year, and new policies give administrators the power to expel students for infractions as minor as violating the dress code, chronic tardiness or habitual swearing.

Administrators say the steps are needed to regain control over a notoriously unruly school system, but some parents have complained that discipline has been overly harsh and that school officials have been too quick to call police about minor problems.

Link (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/12/11/girl_10_cuffed_for_scissors_in_school/)

SnakebyteXX
12-11-2004, 06:38 PM
When my daughter was in the fifth grade she was suspended for the day for an incident that involved tossing a small packet of ketchup (closed) at a friend seated across from her in the lunch room.

She was actually written up by the principal for the egregious crime of...

"Using ketchup as a weapon."

Honest to God.

She's 26 now and in spite of her criminal record from elementary school she hasn't had any further brushes with the law.

Apparently she learned her lesson.

Snake

nhp
12-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Wow, those people are idiots. Unbelievable.....

dg-in-centralpa
12-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Cuffing the kid was harsh, but what was she doing carrying a scissors to school? It probably taught the other kids a lesson.

DG

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2004, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Cuffing the kid was harsh, but what was she doing carrying a scissors to school? It probably taught the other kids a lesson.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

It taught the other kids a lesson all right. It taught them that adults are idiots.

Stop the Insanity !!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 06:36 AM
We agree on this one Wally...sid

hondo
12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a lawsuit to me. YeeHaw! Seriously,
my wife forgot and started to take scissors on
a plane last year and now she's on a list with
Cat Stevens. Shoot low, boys, they're ridin Shetlands.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>
December 11, 2004

PHILADELPHIA -- A 10-year-old girl was placed in handcuffs and taken to a police station because she took a pair of scissors to her elementary school.

School district officials said the fourth-grade student did not threaten anyone with the 8-inch shears, but violated a rule that considers scissors to be potential weapons.

Administrators said they were following state law when they called police Thursday, and police said they were following department rules when they handcuffed Porsche Brown and took her away in a patrol wagon.

"My daughter cried and cried," said her mother, Rose Jackson. "She had no idea what she did was wrong. I think that was way too harsh."

Police officers decided the girl hadn't committed a crime and let her go.

However, school officials suspended her for five days. Administrators will decide at a hearing whether she may return to class, or be expelled to a special disciplinary school.

The scissors were discovered while students' belongings were being searched for property missing from a teacher's desk.

School district officials have promised a crackdown on unruly students this year, and new policies give administrators the power to expel students for infractions as minor as violating the dress code, chronic tardiness or habitual swearing.

Administrators say the steps are needed to regain control over a notoriously unruly school system, but some parents have complained that discipline has been overly harsh and that school officials have been too quick to call police about minor problems.

Link (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/12/11/girl_10_cuffed_for_scissors_in_school/) <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Thank God her record didn't ketchup with her.

quote=SnakebyteXX] When my daughter was in the fifth grade she was suspended for the day for an incident that involved tossing a small packet of ketchup (closed) at a friend seated across from her in the lunch room.

Honest to God.

She's 26 now and in spite of her criminal record from elementary school she hasn't had any further brushes with the law.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 02:14 PM
I wonder if Bin Laden is getting a kick out of this. Think about it, our leaders have stated all along that we wouldn't allow terrorism to alter our sensible and free ways of life, and NOW we are putting hand cuffs on ten year old girls for scissors, and she didn't even threaten anyone, just made a child's simple mistake! This is way out of hand!!!sid

Deeman2
12-13-2004, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> When my daughter was in the fifth grade she was suspended for the day for an incident that involved tossing a small packet of ketchup (closed) at a friend seated across from her in the lunch room.

Honest to God.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Snake,

You guys are always ahead of the curve on critical security issues like this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman </font color>

eg8r
12-14-2004, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if Bin Laden is getting a kick out of this. Think about it, our leaders have stated all along that we wouldn't allow terrorism to alter our sensible and free ways of life, and NOW we are putting hand cuffs on ten year old girls for scissors, ... <hr /></blockquote> I don't think the zero tolerance rule was put into effect after 9/11. If I remember correctly this stupidity started after Columbine.

I wonder if Bin Laden gets a kick out of all the people blaming our leaders for everything under the sun after 9/11?

eg8r