PDA

View Full Version : Get pool into the limelight at younger ages

05-21-2002, 05:59 PM
Often to be really good at something you have to start at a young age. Most really good baseball, basketball, football, & soccer players etc started playing on teams and leagues while in grammar school. Most of the bowling alleys I was ever in all had leagues with inexpensive rates for grammar & high school students. I went to Northern IL. for 1 semester. They had bowling leagues that met your pe requirements.

I can understand no leagues for grammar school children. There is too much of a potential for damage to cloths etc. But maybe some of these billiard organazations should start organizing leagues for high school & especially college students. I realize this would be a slow process. But I believe it would bring pool more into acceptance as a sport like bowling. Without the school leagues I doubt if bowling would ever have become as popular as it is. And that helped to get sponsors and build up the prize pools. Just thought I post this while the board seems a little slow.

05-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Hey Eddie,
I'm totally with you on this one. I've been trying to convince my boss to start school leagues for 2 years, and he hasn't budged on it. It's not just good for the sport, it's good for everyone, especially the room owners!

Ralph S.
05-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe alot of the major colleges and universities already have some type of pool or billiard leagues in place.
Ralph S.