PDA

View Full Version : Draw (English)

judobob1
12-12-2004, 07:57 AM
I used to play a good game when I was younger...good position and english when needed. After being away from the game for about 15 years I can't seem to draw the ball more than an inch if I'm lucky....can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...please help.

Rich R.
12-12-2004, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote judobob1:</font><hr> I used to play a good game when I was younger...good position and english when needed. After being away from the game for about 15 years I can't seem to draw the ball more than an inch if I'm lucky....can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...please help. <hr /></blockquote>
Hit the cue ball, very low, with a smooth stroke and follow through.

Don't poke at it and hitting it harder will not help.

12-15-2004, 10:12 PM
I quit for 20 years myself. When I was younger (and lived at the hall), I played extremely well. With that said, it took me quite some time after coming back from a 20 year layoff to get even 1/4 of my old stroke back.
Though my brain knew what to do, and how to perform, my body did not have a clue. It took a lot of practice for me to start playing half way decent again.
My stroke came back in small steps, and I am still working on it. I am having to retrain my muscle memory all over again.
I agree with the above post. Hit the cue low with a SMOOTH stroke, and follow through. Trying to hit the draw with a jerky and hard move will not help your cause.
Above all, don't get frustrated or discoraged (easier said than done). If you have trouble drawing the ball, practice with the easier draw shot first (the closer the cue ball is to the object ball, the easier to draw the rock). As you get better, start moving the balls farther apart. I hope this helps, and good luck.