PDA

View Full Version : Eye sight and pool; post your eye sight here

One
12-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Here is a site where you can test your eye sight: http://www.mdsupport.org/snellen.html

I got 20/13 in the morning and 20/17 when very tired. When I have 20/17 my eyes are blurry and I play pool REALLY BAD, and the eye sight is still better than average!

I wonder how good eye sight pool players have. Do most pros have 20/10?

SPetty
12-12-2004, 10:18 AM
My left eye is far-sighted. My right eye is near-sighted.

My left eye has astigmatism that makes things look short and fat - flattened. My right eye has astigmatism that makes things look tall and skinny.

I can't play with glasses.

I never see a clear pool ball with clear edges.

I have difficulty with aiming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cane
12-12-2004, 05:47 PM
I play in contacts and my corrected vision is 20/20 in my right and 20/25 in my left. Checking the reputations of the local Lasix Docs right now. Had a friend that was 2080 in both eyes uncorrected went to 20/20 and 20/15 after his surgery. Made a huge difference in his shotmaking. I don't think my shotmaking sucks much now, but if Lasix can make it suck less, then I'm gonna do it. One Opthalmologist that I went through a screening with said that, with the kind of eye problems I have, which are slight, that he felt "confident" he could get me to at least 20/15 in both eyes. Hell, I've never seen that good. I'm a little hesitant, though... it took me six months of wearing contacts to quit having to chase my head around the room with my finger to get the contacts in. The idea of letting someone cut my cornea with a razor blade, then blast my eyes with a laser just doesn't set easy with me!

Later,
Bob

Fred Agnir
12-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Generally, discussions on eyesight only include multiples of five, as the difference between 20/15 and 20/17 is moot.

Maybe it's different for far-sighted people.

Fred <~~~ 20/400 before LASIK

SpiderMan
12-13-2004, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>
I got 20/13 in the morning and 20/17 when very tired. When I have 20/17 my eyes are blurry and I play pool REALLY BAD, and the eye sight is still better than average!
I wonder how good eye sight pool players have. Do most pros have 20/10?
<hr /></blockquote>

When you play "really bad", it's not because you can't see the shots. As you note, 20/17 is better than average, and I know plenty of folks who play well with less-than-average vision. You noted that your vision is 20/17 when you are "very tired". You are playing "really bad" because you are "very tired", not because you can't see /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For the record, I play in contacts. I use the cheap throwaways (AccuVue) that don't correct astigmatism, of which I have a little less than 1 diopter in each eye. This is in addition to a myopia prescription of 2 diopters.

With my full-prescription glasses (which correct my astigmatism) I see more clearly, but I find I play better in contacts. After all, you don't have to see more than 8 or 9 feet to play pool, and since glasses are a centimeter or so away from your cornea, there is a shifting correction due to head placement/angle. It's enough to annoy me.

SpiderMan

One
12-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Reasons why I play bad when tired:

1) I need to open eyes long enough to finish aiming.

2) Eyes are too blurry to see the cueball and tip accurately enough.

3) There is not a consistent wetness in the eyes.

4) I need to focus harder which gives me a headache sooner.

If you play with experience and you don't focus on the cueball and tip when you aim, then you don't need good eye sight. 20/400 could be enough. But if you play with logic then the better eye sight the better you will play.

You need to concentrate hard when you play, otherwise you will play worse. Focus hard enough so your pupils get bigger and receive more information faster.
I focus the same way in pool as in reflex tester games. It should feel like your eyes are running at a faster refresh rate than normally. This will get you a headache after a while, but it is worth it.

wolfdancer
12-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Fred, what did you do with your seeing-eye dog? I've got a use for him. My eyes ain't that bad 20/400, but without galsses, i bump into things, like furniture,etc.
I'd like to do the LASIK bit, but I'd be less scared to have a root canal done,without novacaine. My eyes water, if I even get my hands near them...which is why, I could never put contacts in...and what if my eyes moved during the procedure??? How did you manage?....and what is your rating now? thanks...