PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting Talisman Tips

buddha162
12-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Hello,

I have 4 Hard Pros coming my way in the mail (thanks 9ballgirl for the heads up), and am wondering if the previous discussion on their tip failures have evolved at all.

I remember reading that the delams were occuring mainly in Medium tips, and that Hard Pros were more resilient. And I'm talking about all types of failures, including Marty's "Type 3" failure that I witnessed on a WB a few months ago (the tip made a horrible sound, and the user claims it hits just fine).

Just looking to see if there are any improvements since last year to their formula, if there are new precautions I need to take, etc. If not, I might just keep the Talismans for emergencies and order more Moories.

Thanks,
Roger

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 02:09 PM
"delams were occuring mainly in Medium tips, and that Hard Pros were more resilient."

All my failures were hard tips, but that's been maybe one or possibly two years back,,,time flies...sid

trailboss
12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
A lot of Pros play with Moori and a few with Sniper and Triangle and I think Lepro is coming back with a better tip also!

stickman
12-13-2004, 06:49 PM
I can't say about the hard tips, but have an unacceptable number of failures with the med. pros and WBs. I went a long time without any problems but can't say this now. I will use up those I still have and replace them with Everest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 06:57 PM
How does the Everest play compared to a Moori? sid

Cueless Joey
12-13-2004, 07:03 PM
We quit trying them. No need to toy with them when Everest is 100% reliable.
Now, Kamui tips are slowly getting popular. Very good tip as well. Plays like the old Moori.

stickman
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
The Everest is the best tip I've ever tried. I only tried one Moori. It was a Moori III med. It didn't hold chalk well, and didn't seem to have the grip I wanted. The Everest hits like a medium, plays like a soft, and holds shape like a hard. I love it. So far, I've had no delaminations on them either.

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I'll give one a shot, thanks...sid

Troy
12-13-2004, 08:24 PM
After my initial learning curve, I have had no problems with Talisman Pro tips. Zero customer de-lam reports, many repeat customers, mostly Pro Medium.
My Pro Soft has lasted a very long time, but I play mainly 1-P. When I do play 9-Ball, I use it to break 'cuz I'm known to be too lazy to get out the break cue.

Troy

JimS
12-14-2004, 06:02 AM
I've put on a half dozen Pro hard and/or x hard and have had no problems. Love the feel...the feedback to the grip hand.

SpiderMan
12-14-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Hello,

I have 4 Hard Pros coming my way in the mail (thanks 9ballgirl for the heads up), and am wondering if the previous discussion on their tip failures have evolved at all.

I remember reading that the delams were occuring mainly in Medium tips, and that Hard Pros were more resilient. And I'm talking about all types of failures, including Marty's "Type 3" failure that I witnessed on a WB a few months ago (the tip made a horrible sound, and the user claims it hits just fine). Sadly too, some of these players think they have Mooris on their cues. There are a few dishonest tradesmen around.

Just looking to see if there are any improvements since last year to their formula, if there are new precautions I need to take, etc. If not, I might just keep the Talismans for emergencies and order more Moories.

Thanks,
Roger <hr /></blockquote>

Roger,

I've not tried any Talismans made in the past year or so, so I don't know if they have made any improvements. SPetty did give me some samples of new Talismans (received, I think, as a bonus when making another purchase) but I have not yet installed one. Sid V has a lot of cues, so maybe he'll volunteer one soon.

For the record, I've seen similar failures in both mediums and hards. I carry an eye loupe everywhere, and most of these failures were in tips I examined on cues in use. The majority of these players were not aware of the failure onset, ie the tip just gradually becomes more "dead" due to partial breakdown, and the player gradually gets used to the change in feel. In some cases I can hear the dead tip being used, and when that happens I ask to examine it.

Sid Vicious is very sensitive to equipment changes. He has brought tips to me that he said had exhibited a change in sound or feel. Whenever this happens, we go to a binocular microscope and usually find a type-3 failure.

So far, it's never happened with a Moori, but eventually happens to about 1/4 to 1/2 of his Talismans. Again, many players would not notice the change, and would report that these tips are working fine. And there's sense in that too - if a player isn't sensitive to a particular failure, then for him it's not a failure.

SpiderMan

buddha162
12-14-2004, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> We quit trying them. No need to toy with them when Everest is 100% reliable.
Now, Kamui tips are slowly getting popular. Very good tip as well. Plays like the old Moori. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Joey,

I've been wondering about the Kamui's. Do they come in Hard? And if so, are they harder than the newest Moori "Quicks" or no?

What about Tiger hard tips? See, I need a hard layered tip, at least as hard as the new Moori Q's, something that will fight the shrooms as long as possible.

(btw, your last email got lost in my inbox, check it soon though)

Thanks,
Roger

buddha162
12-14-2004, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
So far, it's never happened with a Moori, but eventually happens to about 1/4 to 1/2 of his Talismans. Again, many players would not notice the change, and would report that these tips are working fine. And there's sense in that too - if a player isn't sensitive to a particular failure, then for him it's not a failure.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I will certainly consider it a failure if a layer sponges up. I've seen it before, and noticed it right away.

Looks like I'll stick with the Moories, no point taking a chance at 10 bucks a pop.

Thanks again Spiderman,
Roger