PDA

View Full Version : moori tips

05-22-2002, 12:38 AM
hey everybody, i've heard a lot of different opinions on moori tips and i was wondering what you guys thought of them. i have never tried them but i have been thinking about trying one out...thanks for your replies

Doctor_D
05-22-2002, 02:26 AM
Good morning:

I use the Moori Medium Tips and I am very pleased with them.

Dr. D.

Fred Agnir
05-22-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: pureza_5:</font><hr> hey everybody, i've heard a lot of different opinions on moori tips and i was wondering what you guys thought of them. i have never tried them but i have been thinking about trying one out...thanks for your replies <hr></blockquote>

I was desperate to put a new tip on my shooting cue, and I had a Moori M lying around. I put it on and... it performed no miracles. It's a good tip, and I think it holds some mystique as the first good layered tip to come around. But, I personally don't give it any higher marks than a Talisman M, Instroke M, or Everest.

Fred &lt;~~~ still likes Triangle

05-22-2002, 01:48 PM
I agree with Fred. Though Mooris are fine tips I can not see any difference in feel, spin, squirt, or longevity between them and Talisman or Instroke. I do find Mooris to be a bit more consistent in rated hardness than Talisman. Talismans are quite a bit cheaper and easier to find.

05-22-2002, 02:20 PM
I use Moori MH on a Predator shaft and a Talisman Pro M on an extra Predator shaft with the same shaft preferrence.

I think the Moori hits and grab the ball better. Also the layers are even unlike the Talisman. The Talisman also gets a lot dirty in the side of the tip easilly with chalk compare to the dark brown shiny color of the Moori.

The Talisman grain is not as fine as the Moori when shaping. Although the Moori is expensive but w/c I got mine for $12, I think the Moori is more worth it than the Talisman if you can find one and price is not the factor. I have stash 30 Moori MH and would not change my tip to Talisman unlike the extra one for my extra shaft so I can test it.

Don't get me wrong the Talisman Pro M I use is better but I only use them on my cheap Dufferin Sneaky Pete. Unlike Moori they hit better.

MikeM
05-22-2002, 03:02 PM
I love my Mooris, but I have never compared them to another brand of layered tip. My first good cue was a used Schon with two shafts, both with Mooris. My only reference for comparison were my house cues with LePros. Huge difference. My game improved immediately. I hope to get a hold of a Talisman soon and will be able to compare the two.

MM

05-23-2002, 09:24 AM
ah moori, ya'll -- seems many folks are quick to say i got moori'd and it either playes great or it plays worse. how a tip plays is also related to what its put on, both shaft &amp; ferrule &amp; also your type of play. two of the most advertised cues on the market, Predator 314 &amp; Meucci Red Dot (look for the new black dot) come with the LePro tip unless otherwise ordered. to properly test i put moori tips(only used Triumph mh) on my Meucci, Predator &amp; Schon cues. after many hours of play/pratice the results were suprising.in my opinion on charted drills several stroke &amp; aim adjustments had to be made to play within my average with the Meucci RD. this was also true with the Schon. the Predator played best of all with a 1 to 2 ball average increase with the least amount of adjustment. now i must say that after this i trial replaced the std. meucci ferrule with an ivorine 3 ferrule &amp; went back to the Thriumph tip and was amazed at change in the feel &amp; hit.
Would i use MOORI, u betcha, Can i justify cost, not really. Would i recommend Moori, only to a serious player who has a solid smooth stroke.
I replace tips, ferrules, remove dings &amp; polish shafts for most of our league players and also many of the local bars. I also do a lot of free work with kids and ladies who want to learn a how to play. some time back i started using a red marker on the tips on my pratice cues in order to help the kids &amp; ladies focus on tip placement on cue ball. Many of the local players started asking question about this "new tip" and wanted to know "whats the difference". i could not find it in my heart to tell them COLOR so i jokingly said that its a new tip that gives a better hit, more spin with less deflection, best i've ever seen. to date i've sold dozens of my "new SU2 (screwed u 2) tips and everyone raves about them. BE IT CUE, BE IT SHAFT, BE IT TIP its only what gives you confidence that counts.

SPetty
05-23-2002, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: simsd:</font><hr> Many of the local players started asking question about this "new tip" and wanted to know "whats the difference". i could not find it in my heart to tell them COLOR so i jokingly said that its a new tip that gives a better hit, more spin with less deflection, best i've ever seen. to date i've sold dozens of my "new SU2 (screwed u 2) tips and everyone raves about them. BE IT CUE, BE IT SHAFT, BE IT TIP its only what gives you confidence that counts.<hr></blockquote>Hi simsd,

You are sooooo bad! This is funny /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-23-2002, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

I was desperate to put a new tip on my shooting cue, and I had a Moori M lying around. I put it on and... it performed no miracles. It's a good tip, and I think it holds some mystique as the first good layered tip to come around. But, I personally don't give it any higher marks than a Talisman M, Instroke M, or Everest.

Fred &amp;lt;~~~ still likes Triangle <hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

For non-layered tips, I also like Triangles. I put a fiber pad underneath mine to mute the sound. It feels like a softer tip that way.

For layered tips, I've had great success with the Talisman M and H, but the H sounds too hard for me, even with a fiber pad.

I just put a Moori MH on (w/fiber pad), and this sound, feels, and hits very nicely. I don't think I like the price that others are paying for it though.

BTW, tips last a year or more for me on my shooting stick. I blame excessive tip wear on scuffing and Tip Pik-ing.

Fred <hr></blockquote>

What a big lier! B4 he likes Moori now he doesn't!

Fred Agnir
05-23-2002, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>
What a big lier! B4 he likes Moori now he doesn't! <hr></blockquote>
Hey JR, I don't know why I bother replying, but you quoted my posts. Where does it say that I don't like Moori tips?

Fred

05-23-2002, 02:29 PM
I use a Moori H and find them to be best for retaining shape and responsive for my soft stroke, I also have taken some LePro's, soak them in milk for 3 days and compress them in a vice for 3 days until they dry and these also retain their shape longer and feel darn near a Moori. Anyone else use any pre-tip conditioning?

TalismanTony
05-23-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi Smooth stroke,

Soaking in milk may be Ok for single layer tips but soaking a layered tip in just about any liquid would cause the layers to swell and the tip to seperate.

Just a headsup for others reading here.

Kind regards