PDA

View Full Version : I have met the enemy & he is me

Bob_in_Cincy
12-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Well, once again I have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. In a league tournament (small group, bar box 8-ball), I missed two 8-balls & as a result, I lost the match. However, in between the two missed 8-balls, I did a break & run. This was against the top player in the league. I had him cold & blew it. I was not at all nervous as I sometimes get when know I'm playing a strong player. This is just one example of how I'm my own worst enemy. A good friend who's in the league & tries to help me with my game says that most times I beat myself, & it's true. Bad shot selection, missed shots, blown safeties, blown position, you name it, I do it. And sometimes it's in the middle of what otherwise is a pretty well-played rack. Other times, I simply play terrible the whole night. I read the books, study the videos, practice, etc. & nothing seems to change, results-wise.

I know I'm not a strong player, but I can play better than I do many times. I do have nights when I play pretty well ( for me), but they are the exception, not the rule. I was lamenting this to another player that I know while in the middle of self-destructing in a tournament. He said simply "The difference is confidence & concentration", & he may have something there. I do know that my confidence level fluctuates badly.

I know that there are some folks here that are fighting much more important battles than this, but this has been a problem for me for quite a while & I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks.

Regards and Happy Holidays to all,
Bob

Barbara
12-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Bob,

You're not the only one to discover this.

Classic Ken Kingan (aka rackmup) (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=91184&Forum =All_Forums&Words=anal%20cranium%20biopsy&Match=En tire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&M ain=91184&Search=true#Post91184)

Barbara

Ives
12-15-2004, 09:03 AM
If you ever figure out how to beat this problem, bottle it up and sell it. You'll be a rich man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ives >>>>> putting in his pre order for 2 bottles early !!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Don't feel too bad dude. I lost Monday by missing about 5 very makeable shots and scratching 3 times in 6 games. I hardly ever scratch in barbox 8-ball.

Keep plugging, shoot smooth and follow through.

Did your lesson with Scott Lee help any?

Bob_in_Cincy
12-15-2004, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

Did your lesson with Scott Lee help any? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it did. But I can't seem to consistently do what I was taught. I know that comes from lack of practice, which I hope to correct.

Bob

Bob_in_Cincy
12-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Barbara,

Thanks for that link. Pretty funny. I am well aware of the fact that I frequently suffer from a cranial-rectal inversion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob

Barbara
12-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Bob,

After you've taken a lesson from someone who has corrected your mechanics or taught you something new, you need to sequester yourself for a few weeks and drill what you just learned into your stroke or brain or whatever. You're going to need to totally ingest this new stuff before you can use it in the outside world.

Barbara

c.holtz009
12-15-2004, 10:11 AM
I think the biggest thing about playing a strong player is to set aside all the "what if's" and just play. I used to have the same problem, and after some mental training, and learning to play the table, and not the player, I seem to be having a lot more success.
Last night I was playing a high ranked player, and played dead even with him all night. He used to break me within the first hour of play because I knew he was a strong player, and It would play on my mind because I would get intimidated by the strength of his game.
I know if anyone can keep this mindset during a game, if they can run racks, they can beat anyone.

Chopstick
12-15-2004, 10:14 AM
<font color="blue"> "There are more pool games lost than there are won."

What you're getting at is the most important aspect of playing the game. It is a skill to be aquired like drawing a ball or any other. Simply...how to win. You can practice all the other skills but without this one you will never succeed.
</font color>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

He said simply "The difference is confidence &amp; concentration", &amp; he may have something there.

<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">
No, that's not it. My man, what you have is fear of success. You aren't convinced in your own heart that winning is something you should do, so you find a way not to.

Get the old book The Hustler. There's a lot about winning and losing and the heart of pool in there. Winning is not something that comes automatically. You may over whelm someone with superior skill but that isn't really winning. When it comes to the real test a skillful player who doesn't have a winning heart will fold every time.

Trust me, I've been there. It sucks but there is a way out. The book is a good start.

</font color>

Oh, and PS You're not you're enemy. I'm you're enemy, so you better cowboy up! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Bob, (and all my old buddies at the Roost)
I sure miss that league, lots of great players and a fun time every week.
So you had a break and run, and two missed 8 balls. That is just great.
When you give yourself a chance to win, you have elevated your status as a player. When you give yourself a chance to win and then WIN, you have elevated your game even futher.
Small steps Bob, small steps.
When you only play once or twice a week and have maybe 2 hours of practice, you play will be 'at most' consistant. When you increase your playing and practice time, and focus on ridding yourself of those trouble shots, then your game skills will increase and you will be able to win those close games.

Good Luck, and have a safe and happy holiday.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-16-2004, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
...I was lamenting this to another player that I know while in the middle of self-destructing in a tournament. He said simply "The difference is confidence &amp; concentration", &amp; he may have something there. I do know that my confidence level fluctuates badly.

<hr /></blockquote>

Bob,

I think if you can improve your concentration your confidence will follow. When we played 14.1 the other night you made some great shots and excellent position plays, but many of your runs were ended by missing fairly routine shots. I can imagine that can only be attributed to lack of concentration.

I have suffered from this as well but as the years go on I have trained myself somewhat to concentrate on every shot. Obviously lack of concentration still happens, but it is much less frequent for me than it used to be, so at least we know it can be done.

anyway, hope this helps

DickLeonard
12-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Bob I have to agree with Barbara on this idea of sequestering yourself.

When I was playing and was changing any part of my game I would not play a game for at least 10 days, otherwise your body reverts back to its old style of playing and it's one step forward and one step backwards. ####