PDA

View Full Version : Predator BK

yegon
12-15-2004, 12:38 PM
I was set to buy a Fury break jump cue but the Predator BK is still sneaking around the back of my head so I though I'd ask some things about it.

Is the shaft basically the standard 314 or are there some modifications so it can take the hard blows?

Did any one of you proud owners encounter problems with the ferrule? Any damage to it after using the cue to power break?

Can I adjust the weight of the cue with weight bolts by myself or is the weight hard set during manufacturing and can not be changed later?

Fred Agnir
12-15-2004, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I was set to buy a Fury break jump cue but the Predator BK is still sneaking around the back of my head so I though I'd ask some things about it.

Is the shaft basically the standard 314 or are there some modifications so it can take the hard blows?<hr /></blockquote> Modified. Stiffer taper.

[ QUOTE ]
Did any one of you proud owners encounter problems with the ferrule? Any damage to it after using the cue to power break?<hr /></blockquote> Not yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I adjust the weight of the cue with weight bolts by myself <hr /></blockquote>Yes, to a point.

Fred

Eric.
12-15-2004, 01:00 PM
I had a BK for a couple of years until it was "borrowed" from me /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I had a problem where the ferrule started to mushroom and eventually cracked from being compressed (breaking). I don't know if this is the norm or something unusual but Predator has a lifetime warranty. They took care of my ferrule and cleaned the shaft under warranty.

Eric

yegon
12-15-2004, 01:02 PM
what weight would you suggest to start at?

Ano no I do not know what works best for me :-) my break sucks and so does my game, but I would like to get a break cue to use it a few years so that after that I hopefully know what I want.

SteveFromNY
12-16-2004, 04:14 PM
I'd go with the BK. I break them pretty hard, and over the years I've been able to control my breaks to some extent. I've tried many a break cue, from sledgehammers, to mcdermott, cuetec, some other brands but I truly feel that the Predator gave me the most consistently hard breaks. I have however gone through a second replacement of the shaft free from predator because the first one bent badly after about 2 years of hard breaking (and I bend the shaft into the cloth after the break, can't stop that). The second shaft I received - the tip came flying off after about 3-4 breaks but for the power, nothing realy compared. What else have you tried?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I was set to buy a Fury break jump cue but the Predator BK is still sneaking around the back of my head so I though I'd ask some things about it.

Is the shaft basically the standard 314 or are there some modifications so it can take the hard blows?

Did any one of you proud owners encounter problems with the ferrule? Any damage to it after using the cue to power break?

Can I adjust the weight of the cue with weight bolts by myself or is the weight hard set during manufacturing and can not be changed later?
<hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick
12-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Predator has different lengths of weight bolts they will sell you pretty cheap. I have five I mess around with. You can change them out with a six millimeter allen wrench. I have the Fury also. I never use it anymore. I also have the Cannon by Shannon. I am liking the Predator BK the best now days.

yegon
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait a bit, save some money and go with the Pred. What tip do you prefer on it?

PQQLK9
12-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I have both and I like the Fury best.

SecaucusFats
12-19-2004, 12:36 PM
I have a Predator BK. With the standard tip, it broke just fine. I replaced the tip with a phenolic tip and now the break is awesome.

I also have a McDermott break-jump with a phenolic tip. The McDermott works equally well in break or jump modes. IMO, the McDermott is every bit as good as the Predator BK in breaking, while also providing a jump cue that works as well as any of the jump cues out there.

One caveat: If you use english when breaking, then you should stay away from phenolic tips, as doing so will usually result in a miscue.

SF