PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by ccboard_admin

05-22-2002, 09:51 AM

Doctor_D
05-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Good afternoon:

The "Pause" in the backstroke prior to the execution of my shot is an essential component which was taught to me by Gerda from day one.

Dr. D.

05-22-2002, 11:46 AM

05-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Whitewolf is a wise person....randyg

Tom_In_Cincy
05-22-2002, 04:32 PM
Whitewolf
A "pause" in your back stroke has been used by some of the best players in the world. But, there are plenty of Pros that do not use the "pause".

If it helps you with your stroke and execution, go for it.

Personnaly, I have tried to use it and I guess that the "old dawgs, new tricks" thing is true.

05-22-2002, 05:02 PM
Are you all talking about taking a pause only in the last backstroke before you hit the cue? Or pausing every practice backstoke?

Vapros
05-22-2002, 05:49 PM
That's the way I do it. Without this pause - and it's a long one - I couldn't play at all. My natural backstroke tends to be crooked, so I have to take the cue away with great care, and then stop. That's when I shift my attention to the object ball and make my stroke. As far as I'm concerned, the stroke begins 'way back there. Everything else is just 'getting ready'. I'm sure others will take issue with that, but it's the way I have to do it. Without the pause, all I can hit is the rail.

Cuemage
05-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Hi Whitewolf,
Allison also showed me this in her lesson. I have adopted it, & my improvement was immediate. I recommend you use it if it helps you focus.

Tha Cuemage

05-22-2002, 06:20 PM
Instead of pausing on my back stroke and locking on, I prefer to lock on at the CB . As I swing down from my stance . I've already lined up the shot in the air, so I lock on at the CB ,stroke two or three times and lock on again at the CB to the exact contact point I'm aiming at.Then I stroke again to find the speed I want to use, lock on again and fire.Since I found this type of stroke I find my focus on the target is enhanced , and I miss fewer balls that I should usually make and have better position.

JimS
05-22-2002, 08:37 PM
It's about a pause just before the final stroke. Take some practice strokes, pause on the backswing of the final practice stroke and then stroke the shot. Check out a tape of Buddy Hall for a classic example.