PDA

View Full Version : Chris Nitti Cues

Chopstick
12-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I just went over to Chris Nitti's shop here in Orlando at lunch. I was very impressed with his work. He doesn't use CNC. Everything is custom made. I don't really like the designs of the new cues. I like the old style cues like Joss when it was one company, Szamboti, Gina, and Balabuska. Turns out that Chris likes them also. He pulled out a Szamboti style cue that he just made and it was an absolute knockout. He said he was making a couple more in his next batch. I bought one. I should have it around March. I added an ivory joint and buttcap. It's gonna be killer.

TommyT
12-16-2004, 02:45 PM
I recently bought a high level Nitti. 8 points of ebony recut with 8 points of ivory. I was stunned by the workmanship and the cue is knockdown gorgeous. I almost forgot to mention it feels real good. I think he's gonna be around awhile and his cues will be in demand.

TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
12-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Very cool. I used to own a Nitti cue. They are great cues. I would like to see it when it is done.

eg8r

Chopstick
12-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Many years I saw a guy playing with a Szamboti and I just loved it. It was the only cue I ever saw with an ivory joint and buttcap. Chris was showing me examples of his work and he asked me if I liked old style cues. I said yes and he said he was making some copies of some old Szamboti designs and he pulls out a steel jointed version of the cue I saw years ago. I asked if he could put an ivory joint on it, he said sure "how about the buttcap, you know Szamboti used to do the buttcap in ivory also." I almost fell over. It's like finally getting the girl you lusted after in high school. I am excited about it.

Jimmy B
12-17-2004, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Many years I saw a guy playing with a Szamboti and I just loved it. It was the only cue I ever saw with an ivory joint and buttcap. Chris was showing me examples of his work and he asked me if I liked old style cues. I said yes and he said he was making some copies of some old Szamboti designs and he pulls out a steel jointed version of the cue I saw years ago. I asked if he could put an ivory joint on it, he said sure "how about the buttcap, you know Szamboti used to do the buttcap in ivory also." I almost fell over. It's like finally getting the girl you lusted after in high school. I am excited about it. <hr /></blockquote>

He shouldn't copy anyone elses' designs and you shouldn't order one. Although Gus is dead and can't complain about it I don't think it changes the fact that it's stealing.

JB

Popcorn
12-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I am not completely sure but I don't think Szamboti made that many Ivory joint cues. He made me one and I had to argue with him to get it, he didn't want to make it. I have only seen two with ivory joints. Mine and one I saw a guy come into the pool room with. I went over to look at the cue when he took it out and it turned out he was a neighbor of Gus and got the cue as a birthday present from him. The guy couldn't even play and had this beautiful cue. I think Barry Szamboti reads here sometimes I would be curious if his father made very many Ivory jointed cues.

Popcorn
12-17-2004, 10:09 PM
You know something interesting, Szamboti made me a copy of a Balabushka cue I had seen and when I got the cue it had some colored veneers above the butt cap that were not supposed to be there. When I called him about it he said he did not want it being mistaken for a Balabushka.

Barry
12-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Dad did make more ivory jointed cues than people would think. In the beginning he made them flat faced with a large 3/8-10 screw. Then he changed to the pilot, same as his stainless steel joints. all together I bet there are around 125 to 150 ivory joint cues by Gus Szamboti. That's out of around 1200 cues made.

By the way, I think Chris Nitti makes some really nice cues. He's also a nice guy with a great hairstyle!

Merry Christmas everyone,
Barry

Chopstick
12-18-2004, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr>
By the way, I think Chris Nitti makes some really nice cues. He's also a nice guy with a great hairstyle!

Barry <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

He is also a great admirer of your father's work, as am I.

SPetty
12-18-2004, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr> He's also a nice guy with a great hairstyle!<hr /></blockquote> To save others the trouble... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://nitti.ez-serve.com/images/site_content/Workshop/handfinish-combo.gif

thirtyeyes
12-20-2004, 05:32 PM
What's the normal wait time for Chris Nitti to do a simple custom cue?

Chopstick
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr> What's the normal wait time for Chris Nitti to do a simple custom cue? <hr /></blockquote>

As far as I know he does batches of thirty or so cues every three or four months. I guess it depends where you fall in that cycle and depends on what you want. You may call him at the right time and he has one on hand. He sells out all of his batches every time. I placed my order at the beggining of the next batch so for me, and I guess anyone else the next delivery will be March. He doesn't have any on hand now. I tried to jump on this one on his web site but it was sold already. Ebony, ivory and birdseye maple. Simple, elegant. Nice piece of work.

http://nitti.ez-serve.com/images/site_content/For%20Sale/full-sneak.jpg

Chris Nitti Cues (http://www.nitticues.com)

Chopstick
12-21-2004, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr> He's also a nice guy with a great hairstyle!<hr /></blockquote> To save others the trouble... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://nitti.ez-serve.com/images/site_content/Workshop/handfinish-combo.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's an old picture. I wouldn't say he has less hair now but he definately has more face. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric.
12-22-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr> He's also a nice guy with a great hairstyle!
<hr /></blockquote>

Is that look a requirement to get into the ACA? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;kiddin

Barbara
12-22-2004, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barry:</font><hr>By the way, I think Chris Nitti makes some really nice cues. He's also a nice guy with a great hairstyle!

Barry <hr /></blockquote>

Hey!! There's nothing wrong with that hairstyle! At least your wife and his wife aren't picking two-foot long hairs out of the tub drain! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Barbara

SPetty
12-22-2004, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> At least your wife and his wife aren't picking two-foot long hairs out of the tub drain! <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not getting that complaint lately either! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif