PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup--So Far, So Good

9 Ball Girl
12-16-2004, 09:48 PM
U.S. 2, Europe 1

Tony R. has been calling me from Holland and he's having a good 'ole time over there. Anyway, he says that the Holland fans are cool and he loves the Scotch doubles format which they played today (actually, it's already Friday over there). Anyway, if I can remember next time, I'll post some stats.

CarolNYC
12-17-2004, 03:40 AM
Thanks Wendy,
We were in touch before he left, then I left a message on his cell!
Please give him my regards when he speaks to you!

Carol~what would I do without Wendy /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Tony and Charlie lost to Feijen and Davis but the US took the other 2 matches.

Apparently Gabe is playing well.

US 2 - Euros 1

thecardman
12-17-2004, 03:07 PM
End of play Friday and the USA lead Europe 5-4.

It was 3 singles matches tonight with Mika Immonen beating Johnny Archer 5-3, Charlie Williams beating Niels Feijen 5-1 and Gabe Owen holding his nerve to run out the hill-hill rack in beating Steve Davis 5-4.

Owen seems to be playing well and using his nervous energy to positive effect. It is my first time seeing him play and I have to say that I'm very impressed. I look forward to watching more.

Tomorrow - 3 more Scotch Doubles in the afternoon and 3 more singles (the 3 players from each side that didn't play this evening) in the evening session.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> ..Owen seems to be playing well and using his nervous energy to positive effect..
<hr /></blockquote>

Howdy scouse Mac,

I imagine he is quite nervous. Did you notice his hands shaking at all? He was visibly shaking at the US Open when he took a sip of water. I would be too.

Lghtning4u
12-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Anyone know if it is televised in the US?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lghtning4u:</font><hr> Anyone know if it is televised in the US? <hr /></blockquote>

Not live.

They have shown about 6 hours of highlights on ESPN the last 2 years. Look for it next week or in January.

dg-in-centralpa
12-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Wendy,
I just saw that Tony lost another match. If you get to talk to him tonight, let him know that we are pulling for him.

DG

9 Ball Girl
12-18-2004, 05:02 PM
You got it!

thecardman
12-19-2004, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Did you notice his hands shaking at all? He was visibly shaking at the US Open when he took a sip of water. I would be too.<hr /></blockquote>

Let's be honest here, Wally, who wouldn't be shaking at the Open??? I don't think a single person here wouldn't be!

Yes, Gabe has been shaking quite a bit while at the table, but that isn't stopping him from being a real straight-shooter!

With only one session to go, the US are 10-8 up. Morris beat Immonen 5-3, Feijen beat Archer 5-2 and Chamat beat Robles 5-3. I am thinking tonight will be a nervous affair - and I, for one, can't wait!!!

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thecardman
12-19-2004, 03:13 PM
America won the 2004 Mosconi Cup beating Europe 12-9.

The Sunday evening session saw 3 of the scheduled 5 matches being played. In the first, a very nervous Gabe Owen (still shaking!) beat Germany's Thomas Engart 5-2 to put America on the hill at 11-8. This was followed by a very confident and fast-playing captain Oliver Ortmann beating Earl Strickland 5-1 to bring the overall score to 11-9.

Finally, it was Charlie Williams' turn to play Steve Davis. Davis never had much luck and, on top of that, was making some serious errors. This led to a 5-2 win for the Dragon and an overall score of 12-9 to the USA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, from a Euro fan to you guys across the "pond" congratulations on the Mosconi win (we'll get you next year!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif), have a great Holiday Season and have a very Happy New Year when it comes.

9 Ball Girl
12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Tony R. called me last night (actually very early this morning for him) and he told me to tell all of you that he's winning the Mosconi Cup for all the CCBers. And thanks all of those who are supporting them.