PDA

View Full Version : The Hustler"

Candyman
12-19-2004, 05:57 PM
It just came on ESPN CL at 8:00est.

trailboss
12-20-2004, 04:37 AM
This is the Classic that got it all started! I don't think I will ever get tired of this one!

Chopstick
12-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Read the book. I can't tell you how much better it is than the movie.

dg-in-centralpa
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Jackie Gleason was good in his own right, but George C. Scott stole the movie. He was absolutely fantastic. He did a lot of good movies at this time.

DG - loved him in Dr. Strangelove

jjinfla
12-25-2004, 08:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Read the book. I can't tell you how much better it is than the movie. <hr /></blockquote>

Funny you should say that, I just finished reading the Dell paperback. The only real difference I found is that in the book Sarah did not die. Otherwise the movie followed the book pretty close.

Jake

johnnyt
12-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Jackie Gleason was a very good pool player in his day. He made his money to pay rent and such on the tables before he made it as a comic.
Johnnyt

Chopstick
12-26-2004, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Read the book. I can't tell you how much better it is than the movie. <hr /></blockquote>

Funny you should say that, I just finished reading the Dell paperback. The only real difference I found is that in the book Sarah did not die. Otherwise the movie followed the book pretty close.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

It's been about tenty years since I read it. What about all the philosophy of winning and losing and the billiards match at the rich guys house. I don't remember that part in the movie. The part where Eddie found the heart to win in billiards match was the highlight of the book for me.

RailbirdJAM
12-26-2004, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johnnyt:</font><hr> Jackie Gleason was a very good pool player in his day. He made his money to pay rent and such on the tables before he made it as a comic....<hr /></blockquote>

The very mention of Jackie Gleason's name always puts a smile on my face. As a really big Jackie fan, I've got quite a bit of Gleason collectibles. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

"Born in a poor section of Brooklyn and abandoned by an alcoholic father, he dropped out of school at an early age and supported himself as a <font color="green">pool hustler</font color>, professional boxer and carnival barker before establishing himself as 'Jumpin' Jack' Gleason, a nightclub comic and vaudeville emcee...." Born in 1916, Jackie's favorite pastime as a youngster was working as the "rack boy" in a corner billiard parlor. I always wanted to know if any of the players Gleason learned the game from were pool greats, attracting him to the game initially. Jackie was a teenager during the Great Depression era, and gambling must have provided an income opportunity in those hard times.

Right before he passed away, Dan Rather did a "60 Minutes" interview with Jackie, who was then living in Florida. In one video clip, recorded in Gleason's home, Dan and The Fat Man played a game on his pool table, which had RED cloth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jackie gets ready to slam the rack, pauses, then looks up at Rather with a deadpan expression across his face, "So, Dan, what are we playing for?"

One of my favorite black-and-white photos is of Arnold Palmer and Jackie Gleason in front of a huge crowd of smiling onlookers, as Jackie is doing his "And Away We Go" routine, always the comedian.

Jackie Gleason was the PERFECT choice to play that role in "The Hustler." He definitely knew how to walk the walk and talk the talk. Ironically, the role didn't portray any of his comedian tendencies, but I'll bet Jackie really enjoyed playing the character of "Minnesota Fats," knowing that he possessed a strong passion for the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RailbirdJAM

Harold Acosta
12-26-2004, 10:31 AM
I never liked Jackie Gleason, except for this movie.

Popcorn
12-26-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't think he really played that well, maybe the speed of the average half way decent player found in most any pool room. I used to see him all the time when he lived at Inverary. I had some friends who would play golf with him on a regular basis and got introduced. I wanted to talk to him about putting on a pool tournament in conjunction with his annual golf classic. I was shocked that he had no interest at all, not even in lending his name without any financial involvement. I think most of his pool player mystic came from the movie and not from his real life. I.E. Robert Diniro actually being a tough guy. We have all run into the guy who tells us he paid his way through college hustling pool.

dr_dave
12-26-2004, 03:46 PM
FYI, I wrote a Billiards Digest article about the movie and some of its more interesting shots. If you're interested, see my August, 2004 article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html).

jjinfla
12-26-2004, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>
What about all the philosophy of winning and losing and the billiards match at the rich guys house. I don't remember that part in the movie. The part where Eddie found the heart to win in billiards match was the highlight of the book for me. <hr /></blockquote>

That was in the movie too. Only Sarah went there while in the book she didn't.

Jake

SPetty
12-26-2004, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> One of my favorite black-and-white photos is of Arnold Palmer and Jackie Gleason in front of a huge crowd of smiling onlookers, as Jackie is doing his "And Away We Go" routine, always the comedian.<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.jammemorabilia.com/disc5308.jpg

Scott Lee
12-27-2004, 02:17 AM
SPetty...You have ALL the good pictures! LOL

Scott

RailbirdJAM
12-27-2004, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>http://www.jammemorabilia.com/disc5308.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

Wow, SPetty, that's the one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Check out the spectators. All eyes are on Jackie, to include Arnold Palmer who unwittingly plays "the straight man" for the routine. This photo really captures the comedian in action.

From reading various articles about him, Jackie Gleason did play pool very well. I'm sure he didn't need too much advice from Willie Mosconi who provided support as the technical consultant in "The Hustler."

Has anybody seen the new DVD version of this movie? There are lots of really cool trailors and video clips filled with interesting tidbits and making-of-the-movie smut! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM