PDA

View Full Version : Cue Components Conundrum

cheese_ball
12-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Hey fellow cuemakers...
I've been having a problem as of late with Cue Components out of Las Vegas. I have ordered from them now on three different occasions, and have had a terrible experience all three times. The first time, I never got what I ordered.. still haven't to this day. Second time, I bought their so called "great ivory cheap" what a bunch of garbage! There were more fissure cracks, and stained nonsense on this ivory than on any other grade I've ever seen... So this is the best Ivory for cues huh? Yeah right! This third time was the worst though...
I ordered 15 shaft blanks from them, 7 of which were so warped they would have made better bows for children than cue shafts! When I called to complain, I was told that the matter would be taken care of. This was three months ago! I still haven't seen any replacement shafts! To make matters worse, I called in again two weeks ago, and now I'm black listed! WTF!!! Can anyone say bunch of low-life scumbags? Have any of you had this same, or similiar experiences with this company? Is there somewhere I can go to buy my parts that won't treat me this way???

PQQLK9
12-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear that Cheezy. I ordered a bunch of Moori tips from them when they were in FL trading as Barringer Cues and they were very nice to me.

Below is an excerp from their contact page (beware /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

If no answer, please leave your name, number and a very brief message. We delete long and drawn out messages. The above photo depicts a typical days shipping at Cue Components.

Our phone policy: Please do not call to pick our brains or to just shoot the breeze. Time is precious and we're very busy. You do not need to call us to place an order; you can do that more efficiently and quicker online. If you have a question about a product, feel free to call. We do not provide 'how-to instructions' or 'free lessons' on cue construction over the phone. If we know you and we've built up a friendship, we are more inclined to offer out our advice and knowledge. Unless you've purchased from us or have taken our courses, we do not offer any phone support to anyone we do not know. Do not waste our time or yours with trying to pick our brain (what little we have left). Please respect our wishes.

Basically.... tire kickers, brain pickers - go away. Sincere people are most welcomed. We are very nice people and will go out of our way to serve you. We do not want to deal with leeches who waste our time (you know who you are). When and if you make an investment in us we will make an investment in you. It's that's simple. Solicitations: If you are selling advertising, long distance service, magazines, accounting or legal services, web development, financial planners, investment counsel or anything else that requires us to part with our hard earned money.... We already have an extensive advertising program and our budget for this year is already fullfilled; please try us next year. We already have the least expensive long distance phone service and yes, we're very happy with it. We subscribe to many magazines and do not need any more to only throw away. We are our own accounting and legal firm since we have vast experience in both fields as well as family attorneys. We do not require web development as we do it all ourselves and we can teach you a few things. And, if you offer financial planning/investment counseling - we are fully capable of losing our own money without your assistance, thank you very much. Anyone else, kindly remove our phone number from your list. Basically... go fly a kite.

Chopstick
12-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Something happened to those guys when they moved to Vegas. They were pretty good when they were Barringers in FL. I ordered a bunch of Mooris from the Vegas operation and they took forever.

Cueless Joey
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Cheese you are not the first.
I ordered shafts from them before.
Supposedly AAA grade. They were crap.
A friend of mine ordered their "baseball bat" shafts.
They were crap and he spent money to send them back.
We have found a much better supplier of shafts which we keep private.

Popcorn
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
A guy goes into the doctors office and says, "Doctor, when I do this it hurts". The doctor says, "Don't do that".

ragbug74
12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
I had a similar situation where I didn't get all the items I ordered at one point last year. It took them 3 months to even respond to my requests to their customer service e-mail address. They blamed it on their move, but I didn't buy it. Since then, I've not ordered again from them and don't ever plan to. Atlas Billiard Supplies is a very good source that I've always had great success with.

tateuts
12-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I've referred a few people to them for spliced blanks but I sure will stop.

Chris

Bob_Jewett
12-20-2004, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> A guy goes into the doctors office and says, "Doctor, when I do this it hurts". The doctor says, "Don't do that".
<hr /></blockquote>
I like the quote:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
-- Albert Einstein

cheese_ball
12-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Joey-

Where do you find good shaft wood these days? Would you mind clueing me in? I realize you won't post such knowledge, but can you e-mail the info. to me?

To All-

If I'm not the only that has had problems, why does this company exist any more? Why would anyone support these pricks? Has anyone ever had any GOOD experiences with them since they moved to Vegas? Are there better sources for the products I need?

Someone mentioned Atlas Billiard Supplies to me before, does anyone know anything about them? Are they friendlier? Better quality control? What makes them any better than Cue Components? Thanks in advance for any information that you cuemakers can provide!

iusedtoberich
12-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I have ordered a few times from CC in one week's time span using their ebay listings. I bought hercules tips, ivory ferrules, and a couple pieces of ebony. My short experience with them was non-eventfull. This was about 4 or 5 months ago, after they moved west.

Altas has always been great to me. I've used them for repair supplies for over 5 years, without any problems. The only reason I tried Cue Components is because at the time, their prices were substantially less.

Popcorn
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Wait a minute, I remember you now. Your the guy that made an insulting post to me some time back, how you were in the business and know so much about cues and the cue business actually calling us idiots.
------------

If you think that is a fine cue, I'll sell you 100 of them for $100.00 a piece. Is it a deal? I KNOW exactly where these cues are coming from, and who makes them... do you? If you'd like to know, please send me a private message, as I can not reveal this info. publicly.

if this is FINE work, how do these compare to your cues?"
----------------

Now you come on here and have never heard of Atlas billiard supply, You don't know how to buy shaft wood, your doing business with maybe the worst people around and don't know any better. With all due respect, I don't think you know a G.D. thing about cues, building cues or the business in general. I was too polite to you before when you insulted me, you are just a goof.

Harold Acosta
12-21-2004, 08:19 PM
I suggest you submit a complaint at the Better Business Bureau.

cheese_ball
12-22-2004, 01:13 PM
What can the BBB do if the CO. is out of state? I will try to file a complaint today, and I'll post the results. I heard another complaint from a local cuemaker today that blacklisted as well. He complained about the quality of some turning blanks that he recieved, and was promptly blown off for two months. When he inquired again, he was told that there was no record of his transaction, and that they won't take a return after 14 days. What BS!!!

cheese_ball
12-22-2004, 01:21 PM
I stick by my previous statement. HOWEVER, I am not a cuemaker. I DO work in the industry, and obviously have more inside knowledge than you do. I am looking for an answer that I don't have this time; and you are being anything but helpful. No one likes a crybaby. Quit wasting my time, and post your gripes somewhere else.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Hey fellow cuemakers...
<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> I am not a cuemaker. <hr /></blockquote>

Surely you can see how one could become confused.

Wally &lt;~~ confused but doesn't really care

cheese_ball
12-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Thank you, that was very helpful... I wasn't sure where most of you get your parts from... I have been ordering from Dominiak, but he (or his son) usually grades the shafts before I get them. I order 100-200 blanks per order. The last time 1/3 of the A+ shafts I recieved were no better than the A grade. Also, I have recieved a large batch from him that were supposed to be pre-tapered and ready for final sanding (the shop I work WITH doesn't have the proper equipment to cut a consistent taper yet). They were very rough, and had to be run through a pole-sander before we knew what we had. For the price though, I can't argue. Dominiak has always been fair! I wouldn't mind another source, though for us quality is more important than price. Any suggestions?

BTW&gt; Thanks again Popcorn, and now that I'm taking my foot out of my mouth... I'm NOT a cuemaker, though I am an apprentice. I've been working in the billiard industry (mostly manufacturing) for quite some time, though I am certainly not an artisan like most of you. I've decided that to build a good hitting cue is difficult, and I've more or less mastered that. The hard part for me is coming up with new, beautiful designs that scream to be played with. This, I'm not so good at. I'll leave the artisitic work to you guys! Hopefully my partner will pick up where I left off, and cover the design aspects.

Thanks again to all of you, and have a kick-ass Christmas, or Chanukkah... Quanza... did I miss any? And a good New Year!!!

Popcorn
12-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I directed you to the az cuemakers forum in the past.

Harold Acosta
12-23-2004, 06:16 PM
You file the complaint at the BBB where the company is located. I once purchase something from a company in the eastern part of the U.S. I filed a complaint with the BBB of that State and got my money back.