PDA

View Full Version : Great Days Then Off Days :-(

Sid_Vicious
12-21-2004, 06:38 AM
Is it just me or do y'all have a great day at this game where the stroke is perfect and all the testy shots you might hit one out of two on, all go, works like this all day. I'm not really talking about the zone, but just a final honing of pure mechanics all come together, then you are excited for the next day when you have some competition by people you would like to impress, just because these people have always said "I knew you had in in you." only to find nothing of your previous game the day before. I don't think I have ever had two great days, or one good day followed by a great day, just seems that the one great day is always followed by disappointments. What's the deal with this???sid

eg8r
12-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Sid, I know what you mean, I struggle to string to good shots in a row. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

Deeman2
12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Sid,

I don't seem to have a good day, then a bad day. My patterns are much more like a few weeks of good shooting and then a day or so of not so good. I think I would really throw up my hands and scream if I had to worry every day about which player shows up. If it streches out more than a couple of days of really bad play, I'm doing something wrong in my basics.

I think, maybe with all the crap you have had lately, your mood may influence your game a bit. May be wrong..

Deeman

Rod
12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
then you are excited for the next day when you have some competition by people you would like to impress, just because these people have always said "I knew you had in in you." only to find nothing of your previous game the day before. <hr /></blockquote>

Well there you go, you built up strong expectations, created excess pressure and couldn't follow through. Why put yourself through that? You shouldn't be out to impress anyone, just play your game. If your game is good or better people notice.

It's possible your "new stroke" doesn't hold water either but time will tell there. For the time being don't go off trying to find or modify any more new strokes. I think you just put pressure on yourself and didn't deliver.

[ QUOTE ]
I have ever had two great days, or one good day followed by a great day, just seems that the one great day is always followed by disappointments. What's the deal with this??? <hr /></blockquote>

Most players don't have great days in a row. More likely they have a good day almost every day with a real good day on occasion and a not so good day sometimes. It's about consistancy, not about playing above your skill level. While some say that's what your capable of may be true but it's not consistant. Your in for a lot of failures if you believe otherwise.

I've had months or more of very solid play. I expected to play well. However I didn't go out to impress anyone. I had a time when I played extremely well for several months. I've had times when my game was good but nothing to write home about. Then there are the times I didn't play that well. Well what can I say? Not a big deal it can happen. It might have happened at a time I wished it didn't, but that's life. Finally I have had real bad days. They are very far and few inbetween. As a guess no more than 1 a year. Really I don't know, I dont' remember one. If I did and dwelled on it I would probably go nuts.

Just play your game.

BTW I have fun and once in a while impress myself. I just know when I nailed a shot real good. I know a room full of pro's could not have hit it any better. I know what it really took to execute that shot. For the record it doesn't have to be a super stroke just an extremely well executed shot.

Rod

Brian in VA
12-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Sid
I think the great days really raise ones expectations. This causes anything less than what you were doing to seem of poor quality. This raises your anxiety level and may make you press even harder. (Describing myself here.)

My game has come up a notch in the past 6 months and it's less about how much better I shoot and more about how less poorly I shoot. Seems like I've always been able to pull a difficult shot out but miss the easy ones. Now I still make those occasional "home runs" but I also don't strike out as often. It still hurts to suddenly start playing badly when I had been playing so well, the roller coaster effect, but I guess the lows aren't as bad. I'm raising my plateau! Hope you do, too.

Brian in VA

Sid_Vicious
12-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I actually made an impression Sunday, but the rock solid consistent playing I had on Saturday was off and on Sunday, maybe because I told myself I wasn't going to have the expected great day twice in a row, self defeat huh. My recent, new concept of a timed stroke is still working, only thing I am probably doing is over expecting and also over thinking when it drops of just a little in hopes of fixing it, and as we all know, thinking when stroking is poisonous to the mental state, at least eventually.

I am guilty though of wanting to show off my skills, heck that's a big part of the reason I play at all, to impress myself first and then the world second. Winning is a fine accomplishment but winning to me is not my main goal. If I play well and lose, I feel better than if I play poorly and get the win. I'm very pleased with where I am today with this game, it just seems like though that consecutive, strong days are not in my travels yet. Time will tell, thanks...sid

HallofFame
12-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Your basics are off. Stance, Aim, Stroke, etc.

You're NOT consistently performing the same routine on every shot, you MUST do this to play higher levels of pool consistently. Find a copy of Jimmy Reid's "No Time for Negative" and watch the segment where he approaches the shot; EVERY accomplished player performs the same routine EVERY time, no matter how erratic it looks it's ALWAYS the same.

Video tape yourself and you will find out what's wrong with your on and off play.

HOF

HOWARD
12-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Sid,

It is your confidence.

And also:

I believe it maybe your brain getting in the way.
People on the board will have many ways to overcome it,
but the real trick is find the right one.

Put those two together and you will be playing at that
higher plateau.

Howard

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Howard...That Saturday of satisfying pool actually, if anything, had me over confident. Both the over &amp; under confidence is where the troubles pop up. The more I play on this stellar league team I am on today seems to balance me very well, but nothing has given me two days in a row like that Saturday. Thanks for the advice, it's easier said than done, but experience has already given me a lot of what I'm finding to be my improved finishes. Something tells me that I'll be where I want to be by the May events in Reno ;-) sid

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
eg8r...I've seen you play, two shots in a row ain't nuthin' for you. I want to wish you and your lovely wife a wonderful holiday! It's snowing like crazy here today, Ft Worth and Arlington has of course gotten it way ahead of us here in far north Dallas. Be happy you aren't here Thursday and Friday, temps are supposed to hit 10-14 degrees, Florida sounds pretty good to me righe now.

Sid