PDA

View Full Version : Strickland v Harriman - THE shot

Pizza Bob
12-21-2004, 06:40 AM
For those that saw the Strickland/Harriman match, from the World Summit of Pool last night – does it bug anyone that the announcers (Laurence and Wych) made such a big deal about the case shot of the match? It became the “Super Shot of the Match”. I mean, give me a break, Earl’s hit on the two ball was an excellent kick, but he no more had an inkling of going for the cheese on that shot, than of traveling to the moon. He got a good hit and got REAL lucky on the nine. I realize that it’s important for these guys to hype the match – that’s the way you get non-players interested, and hold their attention – but how about hyping the truly good (not lucky) shots, so non-players have a better appreciation of what these pros are doing. To make such a big deal about such a lucky shot, seems counter-productive and insulting to our intelligence. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wally_in_Cincy
12-21-2004, 07:32 AM
They sometimes do the same thing on the WPBA matches.

I agree. It is stupid.

Steve Lipsky
12-21-2004, 08:16 AM
Hey Bob. I have found, to reduce the risk of shooting the TV Elvis-style, it is better to turn off any pool broadcast before the Super Shot of the Match segment.

Hope all is well, Bob. Happy holidays to you and Sue.

- Steve

cheesemouse
12-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Pizza Bob,

When Harriman played that safe did you see the way his body langue tried to get that cueball to freeze tight to that o/b? You can bet your paycheck that when he saw he left a small gap, so Earl could get to that rail, his heart sank because he didn't want to leave any air at all...Harriman left some air to a champion and it got slammed up his a$$...call it what you want. Everyone that plays at that level knows the score. Danny was sitting in his chair thinking "man, I wish that dam cb would have froze up tight".
When I saw the nine drop I thought "great shot Earl". Was it lucky or did Earl just take advantage of the only shot he had, the one Danny left him....I guess everybody sees things differently....so be it...
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JimS
12-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Where I come from we call that a "slop shot". That's all it was....slop. That don't make it bad. It don't make Earl bad. It was a nice hit, not a great hit. I'm not a good player but I believe I could have made the kick 80%. The cheese going in was slop.

I think Cheesemouse is right about Danny wanting real badly for the cb to freeze against that 7 ball, I saw that prayer get laid down too, but I don't agree that Earls shot was a great shot. It was a slop shot and the announcers calling it a great shot turned me off. But then TV pool usually does turn me off. I want Mark Wilson and Danny DiLiberto to do my announcing....when I get to be king and the world turns according to my whims. When that happens 9 ball will be call shot. Skill not luck.

Pizza Bob
12-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Granted, by not freeezing the CB he left Earl the kick, which he made - a great shot. But there is no way you can convince me that he played the nine. That being said, the hype attrributed to the shot was misplaced. It was a nice kick - that's it!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rich R.
12-21-2004, 10:09 AM
If you look at Danny's face, when they turn the camera toward him, after the shot, you will see him smiling and almost laughing.
Making the 9 was luck. Danny knew it was luck, but, that is part of the game of 9-ball. That is part of what makes 9-ball exciting to some people.
BTW, I think Earl knew it was a lucky shot too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

JimS
12-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I can't feel happy or excited when I hit a shot like that. I feel kinda sheepish, almost embarrased. When my opponent hits a shot like that I just feel kinda like Danny...smile, shrug the shoulders as if to say.."that's why they call it 9 ball". Life is tough and then you die. So it goes. Good Grief! They told me life wouldn't be fair. Sheesh! AAARRRGGGHHH! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif lots of emotions flow through including how much I'd like to swat that sloppy a$$ hole! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rukiddingme
12-21-2004, 10:38 AM
slop or not it was the shot of the match...cheese please...lol
ruk

Deeman2
12-21-2004, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Where I come from we call that a "slop shot". That's all it was....slop. That don't make it bad. It don't make Earl bad. It was a nice hit, not a great hit. I'm not a good player but I believe I could have made the kick 80%. The cheese going in was slop.

<font color="blue"> Yep, but the check still spends the same way. </font color>

I think Cheesemouse is right about Danny wanting real badly for the cb to freeze against that 7 ball, I saw that prayer get laid down too, but I don't agree that Earls shot was a great shot. It was a slop shot and the announcers calling it a great shot turned me off. <font color="blue"> A bunch of us feel this way. </font color> But then TV pool usually does turn me off. I want Mark Wilson and Danny DiLiberto to do my announcing.... <font color="blue"> Good call...just don't let Danny bring Jimmy M. with him! </font color> when I get to be king and the world turns according to my whims. When that happens 9 ball will be call shot. <font color="blue"> If people were interested in watching a skill game we'd still be playing straight pool and jump sticks would be a fond memory. </font color> Skill not luck. <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

Steve Lipsky
12-21-2004, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> BTW, I think Earl knew it was a lucky shot too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Although I haven't seen the match (and thus the shot), I think Earl looks at these things a little differently. I say this only because of his reaction when Efren made the two-rail kick against him to win the Sands championship (Reno? not sure) a while back.

After Efren made what might be the luckiest tournament-ending shot in documented "major" play (at hill-hill no less), Earl was amazingly enthusiastic in his applause and appreciation. I expected quite the opposite, lol. Earl kept saying something like, "If I have to lose, I don't mind losing like that!" It was really strange... he just had a victory ripped from him on a shot that Reyes might not make 1 in 100, and he seemed genuinely happy for Efren.

I can't think of any top player that would exhibit the same reaction in that spot. It has nothing to do with being nice (or not)... it's just how you look at certain parts of the game, I suppose.

- Steve

Rich R.
12-21-2004, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I can't feel happy or excited when I hit a shot like that. <hr /></blockquote>
Jim, I agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that it was exciting for all of the players. The players involved, and watching, know that a shot like that is just an extremely low percentage, luck, shot. However, for good or bad, that is part of 9-ball and it makes it exciting for the viewing public.

Personally, I wish we were all watching straight pool on TV, instead of 9-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
12-21-2004, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I think Earl looks at these things a little differently. <hr /></blockquote>
Steve, I think Earl looks at a lot of things "a little differentyl", but we won't go there, right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Do you think that Earl's ego is large enough to believe that he, and players like Efren, can make these shots on a regular basis?

eg8r
12-21-2004, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve, I think Earl looks at a lot of things "a little differentyl", but we won't go there, right now.

Do you think that Earl's ego is large enough to believe that he, and players like Efren, can make these shots on a regular basis? <hr /></blockquote> I am sure Steve will answer, but I think the way the top pros look at shots like the one mentioned is a bit different. I think they "expect" something to happen. They know they are going to hit their ball and they expect something good to happen.

In contrast, I think most of us, in the same predicament would "hope" something good would happen.

eg8r

Steve Lipsky
12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Eg8r, that's pretty much it. The part that surprised me about Earl, though, is that my impression of him is that he wants the game to be "fair". In other words, someone who makes a mistake should pay for that mistake.

Harriman didn't make a perfect safe, so he let Earl take a kick and make something happen. In Earl's mind, even if he didn't have a definitive plan to make the 9, he still deserved to have something good happen.

But his reaction to Efren's shot still baffles me. Efren made the mistake here; he safed himself (albeit a little unluckily), and was then forced to take the crazy kick. I would have thought that in Earl's mind, Efren did not "deserve" to win the game.

Maybe Mr. Eastwood is right... "deserve's got nothin' to do with it." /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Steve

sliprock
12-21-2004, 01:09 PM
For me, the shot of the match was the safety that Harriman played. If I remember correctly, he spun the ball 2 rails out of the corner and to a spot directly behind another ball. The only problem that I saw was he hit the ball about an eighth of an inch too easy. Some might say that he should have frozen the ball to the back of the obstructing ball. I'm saying that you can take any player in the world and I'll bet they don't hit that safe any better than Harriman did. Unfortunatly, The champions can make you pay if you let them see a rail. About 15 years ago,Shannon Daulton told me that he spent most of his practice time working on safes, and the rest on kicking his way out of safes.

nhp
12-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Can you please describe the shot in this diagram to the best of your memory?

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/

daviddjmp
12-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Last night I lost a 9-ball tournament match like that. The nine was the only ball on the table, my opponent had a tough cut in the side, the 9 hit the far point and proceeded to carom off the short rail and into the other side! There was nothing to do but laugh (wryly).

Pizza Bob
12-21-2004, 04:04 PM
nhp:

To the best of my memory, here it is:

START(
%BN5J6%Fi1J5%ID5J7%Pj3J0%UK0Z8%VO1K0%W_0C8%Xi8I4%Y O9J6%Z^3C5
%[C7G8%\D6J1%]C8C7%^C3F9%_E0L7%`G7T3%aJ6[3
)END

Obviously there were more balls on the table (Earl was shooting at the two), but they aren't really relevant to this shot. Earl kicked off the long rail, hit the two-ball. The cue caromed into the opposite long rail and kicked into the nine, which was sitting just off the head rail. The nine actually hit the head rail, about half a diamond from the pocket, but still went in. Great kick.....lucky nine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

cheesemouse
12-21-2004, 04:43 PM
ruk,
"cheese please...lol"

I'm serious...it was a great shot given the situation. Earl added up his percentages, probably knew which side of the two he wanted to hit, hit it with the speed he thought would give him the best outcome, and then hit it just right to take advantage of the few things the shot had going for him. What I'm saying is Danny was sitting in the chair thinking less than the most positive thoughts, he knew he had left a shot that could easily go against him. It did, he smiled, graciously shook Earls hand, and then cashed fourth place money.

Some guys here think it was a total HAIL MARY lucky shot that should have left everyone present groaning in there seats. I'm saying they are wrong.....
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-21-2004, 06:11 PM
My memory might not be what it use to be, but this is what I remember;

The shot:
START(
%BJ6N9%CO8F6%DQ9Y0%E\8S0%Ff5S7%Gf1J1%H]6J8%ID3J4%Pg8I8%U`0D1
%Vg0I0%WL2O0%X_0C5%YI6Z6%ZK6O3%]D7L5%^H8[1%_D1D3%`C5F8%aC7H9
)END

The end result;
(notice that the 2 ball is now behind the 7 ball and the cue ball is up table)

START(
%Bh2J5%CO8F6%DQ9Y0%E\8S0%Ff5S7%Gf1J1%H]6J8%IB7B7%PI6I9

)END

WEI Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html)

Fleece3
12-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Actually that was a SUPER SHOT. Forget about the nine going in for a minute. Follow the two that Earl HAD to hit. Had the nine not fallen, Danny would have been coming to the table with no shot. Watch it again and you will see what I mean.

TAFKaENIGMA
12-23-2004, 12:31 AM
The Cheeserodent continues to amaze TAFKaENIGMA.
To actually think that Earl in any way PLANNED, or even remotely thought that the 9 had a good chance of going in might be the most absurd thing that TAFKaENIGMA has heard.

Believe TAFKaENIGMA. Earl was happy just HITTING the 2. This IS Earl "i am not philippino" Strickland we are talking about. He doesn't have the kicking skills that THEY do to actually hit a specific side of the ball.
To think that he'd chance hitting the 2 thinnly and risk missing altogether is pathetic.

He took a flyer, and lucked out. Yes he deserves to be rewarded for taking advantage of the less than perfect safe by Danny, but it was a divine intervention from the gods when the 9 fell in.

Figures he was cheering like he was the god of pool himself, only to get SHISHKEBOBED the very next match, and actually had the NERVE to complain about Mike Davis getting some rolls.
Is Earl the only one who is ENTITLED to get a good roll.

Cheeserodent AND Earl both need to get a grip.

Chris Cass
12-23-2004, 01:32 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

C.C.~~likes the Cheese and Earl.

Chris Cass
12-23-2004, 01:38 AM
Hi Bob,

Just getting the hit was all that was intended and he did it. Luckbox the 9 ball for the win was just a gimmey for hitting the shot the right way. As far as the supershot goes? These shots don't impress any of the pool players that know the score.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks they need more honest, be it tough love or not broght to the announcers job. ESPN seems to get pocket protector type people announcing the matches. It's for the average joe anyway. They make it easy for them to go out and try to play after watching how easy pool can be. lol

Rich R.
12-23-2004, 04:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> Actually that was a SUPER SHOT. Forget about the nine going in for a minute. Follow the two that Earl HAD to hit. Had the nine not fallen, Danny would have been coming to the table with no shot. Watch it again and you will see what I mean. <hr /></blockquote>
Fleece, there is no doubt that it was a super shot, in itself. The 9-ball falling in a pocket, however, was definitely luck.

If the 9 doesn't fall, with or without a shot, Danny still comes back to the table and the game continues.

BTW, I have no problem with players making a lucky shot once in a while. That is part of 9 ball. If you play 9 ball, you have to accept the fact that it is going to happen. Hopefully, it will happen in your favor, occasionally.

cheesemouse
12-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Good morning Art with an 'F',

It's always a pleasure to boot up in the morning and see that the boys in the 'mental ward' are allowed an Internet connection...."what a country".....I suppose they even have a nice little pooltable for you and your other personalities to match up on. I would suggest you not give up to much weight to yourself before the meds are passed out.
[ QUOTE ]
Believe TAFKaENIGMA. Earl was happy just HITTING the 2. This IS Earl "i am not philippino" Strickland we are talking about. He doesn't have the kicking skills that THEY do to actually hit a specific side of the ball.
To think that he'd chance hitting the 2 thinnly and risk missing altogether is pathetic.
<hr /></blockquote>

What is pathetic here is that you seem to believe that when the Philippino invasion happened in the early 80's and Jose/Efren changed the game of nineball by showing their remarkable skills at reversing safties to their favor that the rest of the pool world would just throw up their hands and throw in the towel. A more rational thought process would suggest that the rest of the pool world would incorporate this kicking skill into their games also. To continue to believe that the Pino's hold some mystical kicking advantage still 20 some years later is; what can I say?....Pathetic...

Now Art don't get all bend out of shape to the point where nurse Cratchet takes your personal slid on tip away...just kick back and wait for one of your buddies....errrrr other personalities to show that wants to match up for a nice game of "hey, that didn't move 15 inches, I get to hit it again" pool....

In the spirit of the holidays....HOHOHO....Yes, the Cheese still believes in Santa Claus and so does Earl in the name of Danny who left him that kick.....

cheesemouse
12-23-2004, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

C.C.~~likes the Cheese and Earl. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey CC...I like you and Earl too.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to let you know...I took off a nice little jackpot 8ball event last weekend and I was thinking about you all the way. In the vain of this thread...I reversed a couple of loose safties by my youthful opponents to win a couple of matches. When will they ever learn...hehehe

In the Calcutta I bid up all the young guns and didn't end up buying one of them. I then got myself pretty cheap... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif For a $20 entry fee and some good solid play the return was over $600...not bad for one long day of "HARDBALL".....thanks buddy!!!

PQQLK9
12-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Cheese, you are my hero /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesemouse
12-23-2004, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Cheese, you are my hero /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you...thank you....'at ease'...I'll be in the area a while.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
12-23-2004, 09:00 AM
That's too cool Cheese,

Glad your thinking of me there with you playing. I'll be the guy that's tiptoeing in the boat as we float ever so slow across the pond shooting the hell out of them lil duckies. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks of Elmer Fudd and that hat. lollollol

SpiderMan
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> If people were interested in watching a skill game we'd still be playing straight pool and jump sticks would be a fond memory.
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

In the context of straight pool I guess I could agree, but not in ball-in-hand games. I don't believe a player should be rewarded with ball-in-hand for a sloppy safety.

Or did you mean that jump cues (and the BCA's 40" rule that bred them) should be a thing of the past, and we should go back to shaft jumps as practiced for decades (I think I recall seeing a Sigel shaft jump on an ancient tournament tape)?

I guess this is similar to major-league baseball's strike zone being modified, in attempt to achieve balance between offense and defense. No one cared much about the jump shot until it became an "excessive" advantage in offensive play, then regulations were added that limited it's effectiveness. As players become more and more proficient with 40" jumpers, then more changes will be favored.

SpiderMan

Kato
12-24-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm sorry, but are you saying that Earl can't kick? He kicks as well as any Philipino, Oriental, or Floridian.

R.J.

nhp
12-25-2004, 01:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> The Cheeserodent continues to amaze TAFKaENIGMA.
To actually think that Earl in any way PLANNED, or even remotely thought that the 9 had a good chance of going in might be the most absurd thing that TAFKaENIGMA has heard.

He took a flyer, and lucked out. Yes he deserves to be rewarded for taking advantage of the less than perfect safe by Danny, but it was a divine intervention from the gods when the 9 fell in.

Figures he was cheering like he was the god of pool himself, only to get SHISHKEBOBED the very next match, and actually had the NERVE to complain about Mike Davis getting some rolls.
Is Earl the only one who is ENTITLED to get a good roll.

Cheeserodent AND Earl both need to get a grip.
<hr /></blockquote>

What is THE point of YOU CAPITALIZING every other WORD like THIS?

Just THOUGHT I'd let YOU know that EARL would DRILL you in ANY game so QUIT hating on a GUY that is a CHAMPION and you are AN AVERAGE joe in the POOL world.

TAFKaENIGMA
12-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Love how a very precise version of what happened was given (earl kicked and got LUCKY) and all of a sudden, TAFKaENIGMA hates Earl.
If TAFKaENIGMA wanted to say that TAFKaENIGMA hated Earl, then TAFKaENIGMA would have said just that.

Instead, what was said is that,champion or not, Earl got lucky. Along with an opinion, and nhp couldn't handle it.
TAFKaENIGMA thinks that since nhp got defensive when someone criticized his idol, that nhp is the one who has no talent for anything.

jjinfla
12-25-2004, 10:01 AM
The "Shot of the Match" is just something that is appealing to the viewers. And that shot sure did have pizzaz.

And those of you who don't think that Earl aims for part of a ball when he kicks just don't get it. You just don't give the man credit for being able to do that.

How many of you would have the same opinion if Harriman had made that shot?

Jake

TAFKaENIGMA
12-25-2004, 10:12 AM
As close as he was to being frozen to the ball, and considering that it was hill hill, there is no way that Earl was gonna risk trying to hit half or a quarter of a ball or do anything fancy.
He was just looking to hit it.
If it had been 1-1 or 2-2, then his attempt might have been more to a specific side of the ball, but not hill hill.

jjinfla
12-25-2004, 04:43 PM
He may have been close to the ball but if it wasn't in the way then it really didn't matter once he lined up his shot. But you are probably right. He most likely just closed his eyes and hammered away.

Jake

nhp
12-27-2004, 05:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> Love how a very precise version of what happened was given (earl kicked and got LUCKY) and all of a sudden, TAFKaENIGMA hates Earl.
If TAFKaENIGMA wanted to say that TAFKaENIGMA hated Earl, then TAFKaENIGMA would have said just that.

Instead, what was said is that,champion or not, Earl got lucky. Along with an opinion, and nhp couldn't handle it.
TAFKaENIGMA thinks that since nhp got defensive when someone criticized his idol, that nhp is the one who has no talent for anything.
<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry but that was LAME. You speak of yourself in the third person because you are LAME. Earl is not my idol, I am just expressing that you shouldn't have a crying fit because he kicked at a ball when he was hooked and ended up winning the game, and the set. It would have been the same thing if he kicked a ball in and ran out. Did I mention that you are LAME? I feel that you are LAME because you are hating on a guy who is a champion, and you are not. Until you stop being LAME and become a champion like Earl, then you can have all the crying fits you want and I won't say a darn word (that last part not really true). Thanks for your time, weirdo.

jjinfla
12-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Did anybody happen to notice that had the 9 not fallen Danny would not have had a shot? I agree, the 9 falling was pure luck, mainly because Earl said so. He said 9-ball is a lot like golf - a lot of luck. Jake

TAFKaENIGMA
12-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Is LAME some type of major insult where you come from? Because it's not a powerful word at all. Personally, TAFKaENIGMA thinks that LAME is a word that only major sissies use. You could have done way better than that. Maybe called TAFKaENIGMA a chump, or a retard, or even an idiot, but LAME?
Also. Just so you understand...(if that is at all possible) If Danny H. had been the one who flushed the toilet on that 2 ball kick, then TAFKaENIGMA would be busting on him. It is not about hating Earl. It's about the truth of the shot. It was LUCK.

Also, if you must know. Anyone who ever knew TAFKaENIGMA under TAFKaENIGMA's former name. (which TAFKaENIGMA is forbidden to talk about due to a record company's ownership of that name)
TAFKaENIGMA always talks in what YOU call the 3rd person, but in TAFKaENIGMA's world, it is called the 1st person.

nhp
12-28-2004, 03:36 AM
If I wanted to insult someone who is mentally insufficient, I would have done it. I used the word lame so I could truthfully describe what I think you are. The reason why I think you are lame, is because you are angry that someone lucked in a 9-ball. Stop your whining, that is so lame. Also, in case you were wondering, nobody cares about who you were or who you are now. If where you come from talking in third person is like talking in first person, that's also pretty lame. I guess you're just a lame kind of guy. Congratulations.

Deeman2
12-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Elvis is that you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Qtec
12-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Isnt it entirely possible that Earl knew he couldnt make full ball contact? He probably knew that if he hit it at all, he would be hitting it thin.
I think he played the safety and the 9 was just a bonus.

Sometimes when you have limted options, it actually helps.

Qtec

TAFKaENIGMA
12-28-2004, 07:57 AM
TAFKaENIGMA will take being lame a compliment when compared to someone such as yourself who holds the esteemed much coveted title of a sissy. We all know that you had to try extra hard to achieve it.

What a true blessing to have some uneducated sissy get all bent cause their idol got dissed.

nhp
12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> TAFKaENIGMA will take being lame a compliment when compared to someone such as yourself who holds the esteemed much coveted title of a sissy. We all know that you had to try extra hard to achieve it.

What a true blessing to have some uneducated sissy get all bent cause their idol got dissed.
<hr /></blockquote>

You have no validity labeling me a sissy. I thoroughly explained why you are lame, and yet you have no explanation as to why you think of me as a sissy. And then you decide to call me uneducated. You probably dropped out of the 7th grade. I am in college in my 4th year going for a Masters, with a 3.5 GPA. After myself already explaining to you that Strickland is not my idol, you repeating that comment is a sign of your desperation to find some sort of insult to stick on me, yet you seem to having a very hard time. It's probably because you realize how silly this charade you are putting on really is. You talk about yourself in third person and think you were or are some sort of artist. I have a new label for you, 'lame' has been lifted. You are now pathetic.

TAFKaENIGMA
12-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Just using the rules you layed down. You said TAFKaENIGMA was hating on Earl, when TAFKaENIGMA wasn't even close to hating earl. It was an opinion of the skills involved to accomplish the shot. You on the other hand thought that it was a hating Earl issue, which it was not.
Going by that, your argument follows no rules, so neither shall TAFKaENIGMA's

PATHETIC. What an honor to have a sissy such as yourself bestow this title on TAFKaENIGMA. TAFKaENIGMA can only hope to one day hold the title that you have.

You getting a masters in how to lose an argument?
That is the only thing that TAFKaENIGMA can possibly see you doing well, aside from getting all bent cause you can't win, and the fact that TAFKaENIGMA is a superior intelligence than you.

3.5 GPA, now THAT'S pathetic. TAFKaENIGMA would have expected at least a 4.0 from someone such as yourself who is obviously high up in the brain dept. (yeah right)

What did your undergrad courseload look like. Must have been easy.
Let TAFKaENIGMA guess.
Toilet flushing 101.
Burning toast 110.
How to use toilet paper 100. (the one that shot down his GPA folks)
How could you possibly mess that class up. It was a beginners course.
But anyway...back to the original topic.
Strickland got lucky, any way you slice it. Yes, he deserves his reward, because you must first know how to hit the ball.....in order for you to have the CHANCE to get lucky. But it was still luck.

Try to keep your cool this time.

Deeman2
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
"Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King- Democrat, shortly before beating his aged mother half to death.

Qtec
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Artist Formerly Known as ENIGMA

<hr /></blockquote>

The Artist now Know As ENEMA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TAFKaENIGMA
12-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Now THAT was funny!!!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

voydent
12-29-2004, 10:44 PM
ok... i just signed up to join the msg board because i want to say, TAFKaENIGMA... i like your style....

Earl hasn't got what it takes to even THINK about planning that kind of shot. for him, making the contact with the 2 is already 'lucky'. too much ego in him. gosh do you still remember when he won world champion a few years ago? jumping on the table screaming IM DA KING OF DA WORLDDDD. yeah whatever. he's just lucky.. im tellin you..

Fleece3
12-30-2004, 02:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr>

Figures he was cheering like he was the god of pool himself,
<hr /></blockquote>

5 US Open Titles
6 World Titles
5 Mosconi's
Ran 11 Racks for a million (rather he got it or not)

Love him or hate him, make no mistake about it...Earl IS a pool god!!!

Deeman2
12-30-2004, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote voydent:</font><hr>
ok... i just signed up to join the msg board because i want to say, TAFKaENIGMA... i like your style....

Earl hasn't got what it takes to even THINK about planning that kind of shot. <font color="blue"> and you do? Whatever anyone of even basic pool knowledge can say about Earl, he was and is one of the finest plyers to ever lift a cue. You don't get that lucky over a 25 year career every time. </font color> for him, making the contact with the 2 is already 'lucky'. too much ego in him. gosh do you still remember when he won world champion a few years ago? jumping on the table screaming IM DA KING OF DA WORLDDDD. <font color="blue">I've seen enough of the guys who act like they are not even excited about a victory. Why is is not alright for Earl to celebrate a victory. I have seen him very congratulatory when others got lucky and hit a wing shot on him. </font color> yeah whatever. he's just lucky.. im tellin you.. <font color="blue"> I assume he was lucky the last time you drilled him, right?

Deeman
not a great Earl fan but give the man his due... </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

TAFKaENIGMA
12-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Earl WAS a pool god. Not any more!

nhp
12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone read part of your bio before I start: [ QUOTE ]
Your favorite multiple personality, armed with razor sharp tongue, and wit. <hr /></blockquote>

please..... razor sharp wit? Hahahahaha, you are as dull as Bush on paint thinner....

[ QUOTE ]
Just using the rules you layed down. You said TAFKaENIGMA was hating on Earl, when TAFKaENIGMA wasn't even close to hating earl. It was an opinion of the skills involved to accomplish the shot. You on the other hand thought that it was a hating Earl issue, which it was not.
Going by that, your argument follows no rules, so neither shall TAFKaENIGMA's
<hr /></blockquote>

Nowhere did I state any "rules". All you can do is pull random things out of your ass in your silly attempts to insult me. And yes, you were hating on Earl, and you still are. In your last post you said that Earl is nothing now. Earl is still one of the best players in the world, just thought I'd point that out to you.

[ QUOTE ]
PATHETIC. What an honor to have a sissy such as yourself bestow this title on TAFKaENIGMA. TAFKaENIGMA can only hope to one day hold the title that you have.
<hr /></blockquote>

Just so you know, you are going to have to turn up your insult attemps a few notches, way past the 4th grade level you are stuck in right now, if you want me to even consider you someone worth spitting on. If this is an example of your "sharp tongue and wit" I feel really sorry for you....honestly....really sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
You getting a masters in how to lose an argument?
<hr /></blockquote>

Worst comeback, in the history of all mankind. Tafkaenema's sharp tongue and wit strike again.

[ QUOTE ]
and the fact that TAFKaENIGMA is a superior intelligence than you.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hehehehe I can't let this one slide....I find it hilarious when people try to insult another person's intelligence, with serious flaws in their grammar. First, in order for your being a "superior intelligence than me" made into a fact, you will need to prove it. What I just quoted you on above, disproves it. Therefore, what you stated was an opinion, and I will try to prove into a fact that you are the dullest, least interesting, and most unfunny and boring dimwit to ever set foot into a pool forum.

"TAFKaENIGMA is a superior intelligence than you."

To rephrase this- "Tafkaenema is a greater than intelligence than you."

So you are 'a greater than intelligence then me'? Wow, you must be so smart that you can create your own way to structure a sentence. I feel sorry for you.

[ QUOTE ]
3.5 GPA, now THAT'S pathetic. TAFKaENIGMA would have expected at least a 4.0 from someone such as yourself who is obviously high up in the brain dept. (yeah right)
<hr /></blockquote>

Heheheh, you really must like being humiliated. You just proved that you probably didn't even finish high school, much less the 5th grade with your grammar skills.
"at least a 4.0"? Silly enema, 4.0 is the highest you can get, that means straight-A's, every semester. A 3.5 (my GPA) is still an "A" average, it just means that I have a couple "B"s along with mostly "A"s. Oh, but a 3.5 is sooooo pathetic, it gets me on the dean's list, which means I get a letter commending me for my being a good student, I go to an award ceremony, get a certificate, and I also get a HUGE discount on my car insurance for being a good student. But that's pathetic, right? Yeah, especially comming from a dimwit like you who has never set foot on a college campus except to probably unplug the toilets.

[ QUOTE ]
Strickland got lucky, any way you slice it. Yes, he deserves his reward, because you must first know how to hit the ball.....in order for you to have the CHANCE to get lucky. But it was still luck.
<hr /></blockquote>

Now you're saying exactly what I said. What is wrong with you? You are weird....

[ QUOTE ]
Try to keep your cool this time. <hr /></blockquote>

Or else what? Man....I really hope you don't think that pose a "challenge" to me, or that I am afraid of your sad attempts to insult me, or to make yourself sound intelligent. You are as dim as they come. Just so you know what you look like to me- A guy with a low IQ who talks in the third person about himself like some geeky Dungeons &amp; Dragons nerd, who thinks he is witty and smart. I really feel sorry for you, if this act your putting on is real, and not a joke.

Fleece3
12-31-2004, 01:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> Earl WAS a pool god. Not any more! <hr /></blockquote>

REALLY?!?!?

2003 World Championship 1st place
2004 World Championship 3rd - 4th place
2005????

Answer me this. What player could Strickland be playing where you would bet against him-----NONE!!

I understand your dislike for Earl.

However, arguing that he has "lost it" or is overrated. Well that simply lacks credibility

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Funny. Your still trying to justify things that we all don't care about. Like your actually gonna get people to believe that your a good student, when no one gives a damn.
But yet you try.
If TAFKaENIGMA were to belittle your intelligence again, you most likely would spew off every class you ever took with every grade you recieved.
So easy to get you all bent, but i'm glad to see that you didn't hurt yourself in what must have been a tremendous effort on your part to get that reply out.
What did it take you? A few hours?

<hr /></blockquote>
"TAFKaENIGMA is a superior intelligence than you."

To rephrase this- "Tafkaenema is a greater than intelligence than you."
<hr /></blockquote>

Is this really how you think that this phrase should be said?
What planet did you learn english on.

Tafkaenema is a &gt; intelligence than you....is how you think the phrase should be?
TAFKaENIGMA needs no more evidence of your lack of IQ. You have single handedly handed TAFKaENIGMA all the evidence that TAFKaENIGMA or the rest of the board might ever need.

You should know that if your trying to get TAFKaENIGMA all bent out of shape, it doesn't work.
Secondly, you should know that with every reply you spew out that you reinforce the thought that you have no intelligence at all.
Only "insecure/need to try and prove themselves" people are the ones who try and list all their accomplishments at the drop of a dime.
On top of that, you butchered the english language way worse than TAFKaENIGMA ever would.

Give it up buddy. Every time you open your mouth, your burying yourself even more.

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Well...he's not on the upside anymore.
Yes he's a fantastic player, but he is not longer dominant in the way he used to be.
Plus the competition is definitely deeper than it used to be, making it even more difficult to win.

Actually....We bet against Earl at Derby City, years ago when he had to play Tommy Stevenson and Tommy ripped him up!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-31-2004, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> ...We bet against Earl at Derby City, ...<hr /></blockquote>

You accidentally used the first person. You're slipping /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 10:25 AM
LOL

Actually it was meant to be like that. Whenever another actual person is involved, then it is a WE. If it is only TAFKaENIGMA or a combination of TAFKaENIGMA's personalities, then the 3rd person is used.

Saves the trouble of having to come up with something like THE TAFKaENIGMA GROUP or some other form of saying WE.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-31-2004, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr>
..If it is only TAFKaENIGMA... then the 3rd person is used.

<hr /></blockquote>

Are you a pro athlete? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 10:54 AM
LOL. Nope. What would lead you to ask a question like that?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-31-2004, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> LOL. Nope. What would lead you to ask a question like that?
<hr /></blockquote>

Athletes tend to refer to themselves in the 3rd person.

Joe Morgan comes to mind.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Joe Morgan:</font><hr>"When Joe Morgan is healthy Joe Morgan will get his hits" <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PQQLK9
12-31-2004, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TAFKaENIGMA:</font><hr> LOL. Nope. What would lead you to ask a question like that?
<hr /></blockquote>

Athletes tend to refer to themselves in the 3rd person.

Joe Morgan comes to mind.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Joe Morgan:</font><hr>"When Joe Morgan is healthy Joe Morgan will get his hits" <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

My favorite was Bob Dole /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-31-2004, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> My favorite was Bob Dole /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Oh man, no kidding. I forgot about him. I dressed as him for Halloween one year. Pen in right hand and everything.

I was going around saying "Let me tell you something about Bob Dole ya little punk. Bob Dole was fighting Nazis when you were still in diapers" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 12:00 PM
LOL!!!

You guys are too funny!

nhp
12-31-2004, 12:45 PM
One thing I've noticed about you, Tafkaenema, is your replies are all mediocre at best. I have yet to see you use any substance for anything you say. Either you make stuff up and throw it at me, or you use something I've said that obviously applies to you, and you try to use it against me.

You're weird. You're a cornball. You think you were an "artist", and you only talk in the third person. Let me explain something to you- THIS IS A BILLIARDS FORUM, WAKE UP IDIOT. Go take your act to some computer game discussion forum, that's where you belong.

[ QUOTE ]
What did it take you? A few hours? <hr /></blockquote>

If I remember correctly, 5 minutes. It's not hard to find things about you that are stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really how you think that this phrase should be said?
What planet did you learn english on. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL and you insulted MY IQ!? Are you telling me you are so dull that you thought I was trying to rephrase what you wrote in a correct way? Wow, I didn't know you were that...nevermind. Did you ever stop to think why I rephrased what you wrote for you? It was a translation, dummy! I put exactly what you said into other words, so you could see the childish grammar you were using. Just so you know, you are supposed to say "....superior intelligence to you." I already explained in my last post, that by already including the word 'superior' you are already saying 'greater THAN', so you had no need to add the 'than' at the end of your sentence, the proper grammar would be 'to'.

[ QUOTE ]
You should know that if your trying to get TAFKaENIGMA all bent out of shape, it doesn't work. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you are bent out of shape. Like I said, your 'razor sharp tongue and wit' is mediocre at best. Everything you write is either just plain stupid, or sometimes so stupid, that you seem to be leaning towards the sociopathic-psychotic side.

[ QUOTE ]
TAFKaENIGMA all the evidence that TAFKaENIGMA or the rest of the board might ever need. <hr /></blockquote>

Uh, that's why everyone in this thread is disagreeing with you about the topic....

[ QUOTE ]
Only "insecure/need to try and prove themselves" people are the ones who try and list all their accomplishments at the drop of a dime. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you for complementing me. I myself never considered being a good student an 'accomplishment', I've been going to school for so long that it's the norm for me now. But, if you want to call it that, thank you. Also, did you forget that you insulted me about education, before I even mentioned my being a student? Of course I'm going to defend against your stupid and irrational statements, and bringing up my GPA was an obvious given.

[ QUOTE ]
On top of that, you butchered the english language way worse than TAFKaENIGMA ever would. <hr /></blockquote>

Please show me where and how I did? Oh wait, I forgot you have an IQ of 4. You thought that me translating what you wrote was me trying to rewrite your sentence to show you correctly how to do it. Silly enema, crack is not for kids.

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Nice cop out. Changing what you said so that it was SUPPOSED to be a mistake. Trying to cover up a gross grammatical error on your part, when there was nothing wrong with TAFKaENIGMA's original statement.

If your looking for TAFKaENIGMA to get all upset and start throwing out vulgarities, then you are mistaken.
Anyone can curse anyone out, and TAFKaENIGMA is sure that you would lose an argument in that manner as well.
Obviously vulgarities are what YOU have wanted from the very beginning.

If you'll look back, you'll see that you began an attack on TAFKaENIGMA for capitalizing words, and a presummed hatred of Earl.

Since then, you have done nothing but blow out hot air.

It's so easy to set you off, that you are like a button that is pushed. With you getting all upset, a predictable result.

Sorry to dissapoint you if you thought for a minute that you might get some anger out of TAFKaENIGMA, but that will never happen.
TAFKaENIGMA will continue to let your responses be prime examples of how someone should NOT argue if they think that they are going to win.

Even better. Leave it up to the other posters on this forum who happen to read this thread.
TAFKaENIGMA asks those people to reply.

WHO is pushing who's buttons in this little dispute?

nhp
12-31-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(TAFKaENIGMA) Nice cop out. Changing what you said so that it was SUPPOSED to be a mistake. Trying to cover up a gross grammatical error on your part, when there was nothing wrong with TAFKaENIGMA's original statement.
<hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
(nhp) To rephrase this- "Tafkaenema is a greater than intelligence than you."

So you are 'a greater than intelligence then me'? Wow, you must be so smart that you can create your own way to structure a sentence. I feel sorry for you.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey bozo, just to refresh your 5-second memory, why don't you soak this up for a little while.

Yeah, that's right, it's a quote from my post, in which you are saying I made a grammatical error. If you really are that stupid, reread about 7 times and you should get it. Notice how RIGHT BELOW THAT, I am making fun of it. In other words, I am relating it to you. Calling me a cop out still? There's not much you can do when I shove hard evidence right in front of your face, as you try to make up lies. You are way dumber than I thought.

[ QUOTE ]
If your looking for TAFKaENIGMA to get all upset and start throwing out vulgarities, then you are mistaken. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I'm waiting for you to admit that you're a joke and to say the reason why you talk in third person is because you were beaten up by a toddler when you were in 5th grade.

[ QUOTE ]
If you'll look back, you'll see that you began an attack on TAFKaENIGMA for capitalizing words, and a presummed hatred of Earl. <hr /></blockquote>

Silly enema, getting emotional are we? Let me refresh YOUR memory. You first made a post 'attacking' Cheesemouse. Also in your post, you made up lies about Earl Strickland, claiming he does not have the skill to hit a certain side of the object ball when kicking. I have seen many of his matches, and I will tell you, yes, he does have that skill, much more than you think. I happen to know that Earl got lucky on the shot in discussion, because he admitted he got lucky. Now of course you realize that you are admitting how sensitive you are, by claiming I attacked you on using "capital letters". I did that in a joking manner, and also in a joking manner, I thought that I'd let you know that Earl would drill you relentlessly in any game of pool you'd like, which is the truth. Goofballs like you can't play pool, you're too caught up on internet porn or something like that.

[ QUOTE ]
Since then, you have done nothing but blow out hot air.
<hr /></blockquote>

Since then, you've "attacked" me, so I respond to you in kind. Don't act like your innocent in this, you blubbering 4-year old.

[ QUOTE ]
Even better. Leave it up to the other posters on this forum who happen to read this thread.
TAFKaENIGMA asks those people to reply.
<hr /></blockquote>

It figures, you can't handle something on your own so you want help from other people? Why don't you go back and read the thread yourself? I will admit that it's both of our faults we are 'arguing', because you have an attitude problem, and I don't like you because all you do is lie. Hell, I'll bet you can hardly hold a cuestick in your hands. You spend all your time on this forum talking about how bad Earl plays, why don't you go and practice pool like I do?

DavidMorris
12-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Okay, guys, would it be too much to ask for the two of you to take this to PM, e-mail, or to the alley out back?

I got a headache already! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TAFKaENIGMA
12-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Hopefully you are better at pool than you are at arguing,
cause you are horrible /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
But TAFKaENIGMA will bet that you don't play well either.

(we'll see how long it takes for him to fire back with all his pool accomplishments)