PDA

View Full Version : Merry Widow Cue

trailboss
12-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone, What is it that identifies a cue as a Merry Widow? I have heard this term used and I am curious as to what it is. Thanks!

SecaucusFats
12-21-2004, 10:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Hi everyone, What is it that identifies a cue as a Merry Widow? I have heard this term used and I am curious as to what it is. Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

A "merry widow" features a butt that is made from a single piece of wood (no splice). The butt on a merry widow is usually, but not always, made of ebony.

SF

Fred Agnir
12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Hi everyone, What is it that identifies a cue as a Merry Widow? I have heard this term used and I am curious as to what it is. Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>Normally, it's a plain butt cue. Traditionally it's single piece of wood for the butt, but many cuemakers are making a Merry-Widow style cue in three piece butts, with a wrap of some sort to give the illusion of a single piece.

Ray Schuler's version of a Merry Widow is an oak butt with a linen wrapped handle.

Sherm Cues has a different spin on a Merry Widow style:

http://www.shermcue.com/cueviewer.html# (Cue #1)

Fred