PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Statements In The News 2004

SecaucusFats
12-22-2004, 09:38 AM
(CP) - Some unusual statements in the news in 2004:

"I'm a dead man walking. I've got to re-apply for everything, from the birth certificates (on down)." - Dane Squires after his sister misidentified a mangled body hit by a train in Toronto as being him.

"Everyone does the limo thing." - Jackie Davies, who went to her high school prom in Aylmer, Ont., on a tractor.

"There's nothing in my life so personal that I can't write down, whether it's a bowel movement or a period or cat (poop)." Singer Jann Arden, who published her second tell-all collection of diary entries.

"We must allow for same-sex marriages, multiple-people marriages and android-human marriages." - Computer technician David Boyd, who sought the federal Conservative Party's nomination in the riding of Dartmouth-Cole Harbour in Nova Scotia, Canada. He lost.

"I think drunken and stupid was the motivation." - Det. John Babiar, after two men on inline skates stole a Staffordshire terrier pup from the Toronto Humane Society.

"It's not like it's a brown paper bag. It's the holy grail." - Fitness gym owner Brent re: Lock on the Stanley Cup getting lost briefly in luggage on an Air Canada flight.

And although it was not listed in the article above, my vote for most unusual goes to:
" I voted for it before I voted against it." John F. Kerry

SF

Qtec
12-22-2004, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're a — you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004 <hr /></blockquote>

GW

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnakebyteXX
12-22-2004, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my vote for most unusual goes to:
" I voted for it before I voted against it." John F. Kerry
<hr /></blockquote>

How about this recent one from Bush?

[ QUOTE ]
"Now, the temptation is going to be, by well-meaning people such as yourself and others here, as we run up to the issue, to get me to negotiate with myself in public,"
<hr /></blockquote>

No 'negotiating with myself' for Bush (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/12/22/no_negotiating_with_myself_for_bush/)

SecaucusFats
12-23-2004, 12:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
"Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're a — you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004 <hr /></blockquote>

GW

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey did you ever see the movie "Little Big Man" with Dustin Hoffman as the star? For those of you who haven't (IMO) it is one of the finest movies of the era (70's).

The history of American treatment of native peoples is apalling. The Black Hills of South Dakota were ceded to the Indians "for as long as the grass will grow, the wind shall blow and the sun shall shine" (or something very similar). In any case, for the Native Americans, the grass stopped growing, the wind stopped blowing, and the sun stopped shining on the day a white man found gold in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

BTW, "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" was likewise one of the greatest books ever written regarding the subject of the relationship between "sovereign" native tribes and the feds.

Merry Christmas Q.

SF