PDA

View Full Version : New to the game and would appreciate advice.

jack
12-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Just had my table set up and I have picked a Viking que. I would like to purchase and install my own tip. Could anyone suggest a top quality tip and accompanying tools in order to properly install and design?

Thanks,
Jack

monkeydude20
12-22-2004, 12:46 PM
In my oppinion, you'd have much better luck and a better feel to your cue if you would go have a tip put on your cue at a pro shop. Most all of them do very good work that will last a long time. I had it done for my cue just recently and I couldn't even tell that it wasn't the original tip.
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jack
12-22-2004, 12:53 PM
That makes good sense to me. I may have underestimated the degree of difficulty/precision in replacing the tip.

Thanks for the help!

Jack

PQQLK9
12-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Was it a new cue that you bought? What kind of tip/condition is on there now?
It's not hard installing a tip with the right type of adhesive but most tips are 14mm and need to be trimmed. (not too easy without a lathe or proper tool.
I suggest a pro and watch him do it. Good luck.

johnnyt
12-22-2004, 02:11 PM
I agree. Let a pro put a tip on. Its well worth it for the $10
Johnnyt

woody_968
12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jack:</font><hr> I have picked a Viking que. <hr /></blockquote>

Does this mean you have chosen it, but not yet purchased it? If so just order the cue with your tip of choice. Is there a certain brand that you like?

Jude_Rosenstock
12-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Just wanted to mention that most of us lifelong poolplayers go to a pro-shop to have our tips replaced. We're not suggesting this to you because you're new. We're suggesting it to you because the labor is always relatively cheap and far superior to what any of us novice cue-repairsmen could accomplish. Also, most of the time, cue-repairsmen will have a lathe and a cue vice. This makes the process about 1,543,454 times easier (give or take).

Jude M. Rosenstock

Chris Cass
12-23-2004, 02:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> Just wanted to mention that most of us lifelong poolplayers go to a pro-shop to have our tips replaced. We're not suggesting this to you because you're new. We're suggesting it to you because the labor is always relatively cheap and far superior to what any of us novice cue-repairsmen could accomplish. Also, most of the time, cue-repairsmen will have a lathe and a cue vice. This makes the process about 1,543,454 times easier (give or take).

Jude M. Rosenstock <hr /></blockquote>

HAHHAHAHAHA Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.~~well said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-28-2004, 01:08 AM
All the advice for a tip man to install the tip is good as long as you know the guy has a good rep. Also, don't think that by taking it to a retailer like Billiards and Barstools(local to Dallas) is sure fired. I have seen horrible installs from brick and mortar shops and they many times charge outrageous prices.

If you'd like to start installing your own tips though, you might consider the Willard tool. It may seem pricey for what you seem to get once you see it out of the box, but is does a nice job, given that you are patient during the first few installs until you get the methodology down.

If you are replacing the original tip and you liked the last tip, put on a LePro. Vikings come stock with LePro tips and they are a lovely match(IMO)...sid

Stretch
12-28-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> All the advice for a tip man to install the tip is good as long as you know the guy has a good rep. Also, don't think that by taking it to a retailer like Billiards and Barstools(local to Dallas) is sure fired. I have seen horrible installs from brick and mortar shops and they many times charge outrageous prices.

If you'd like to start installing your own tips though, you might consider the Willard tool. It may seem pricey for what you seem to get once you see it out of the box, but is does a nice job, given that you are patient during the first few installs until you get the methodology down.

If you are replacing the original tip and you liked the last tip, put on a LePro. Vikings come stock with LePro tips and they are a lovely match(IMO)...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Yes a good Tip Man is well worth the price, does a great job and everything else. If your not a hands on guy then that's the way to go. Me, i've always done them myself. Not that i can match a lathe installed tip for speed and finish, i can't. Simply because i believe that one should be adept at all aspects of tip work. It's your Tool after all. I put an edge on all my knives and tools, clean and sight in my own weapons, and operate, clean, and maintain all my own machinery. To me it's part of the whole deal. Part ritual, part familiarization, part pride of ownership. If i had a parachute i'd make damn sure i knew how to pack one too! lol. St.~~if you want to do anything right, ya gotta do it yourself~~

Sid_Vicious
12-28-2004, 09:52 AM
A good tip man doesn't necessarily stay a good tip man. There are/were(one has passed on now), two renowned tip guys here who has/had a religous following and I have personally found that they do inferior work many times, especially with impending age(Spiderman can attest to one as well.) We've both replaced some of these previously installed tips and found glue voids under many tips, some are very poor jobs. When I do my own I have never had a problem, never a lost tip and every replacement I have done on mine or other people's cues have sheared off tough with absolutely no deficiencies. Many players follow local tip guys just because that's where everyone says they should go, and I am certain that some players actually play with a slappy hit and never know the difference unless the tip pops off, which some eventually do. I'm not trying to sell Spiderman nor my tip services, but I'll wager that you'll never see a less than solid, well groomed tip which will stay until it's cut off with either of our installs. Sure, you might say, "They install lots more tips so their sample rate is higher, hence you'll notice more failures." I buy that theory just so much far but some of these finds of inferior work are so gross. Any tip man worth his salt shouldn't have a third of his glue surface missing, that's unacceptable, and I don't care what kind of free replacement guarantee policy they give, I don't want to have to wonder. Maybe Spiderman will chime in on this one...sid

sliprock
12-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Where do you live?

Maybe someone on here can give you some contact info for a trusted tip man close to your home.