PDA

View Full Version : ferrule materials..your preferances?

05-22-2002, 06:37 PM
what are your preferances? i am now curious about the effects of a ferrule on the hit of a shaft. i've owned ivory and a few other things but the only time i really cared about a ferrule was when one failed when i broke in a match. overall i don't like ivory really..i like the idea of natural materials but i think thjats the only material i easily noticed a differance in the "hit". is there a web site that explains the differant materials and pros/cons of each?
best regards and happy shooting,
^v^

05-23-2002, 11:27 PM
i thought a ferrule question would really get a few replies.... i am very curious about this. in the nearest pool hall i don't get many opinions on this really. i'm pretty much unusual in my curiosities. cues are weird to say the least...i think this is one of few tools left that science takes a back seat to "feel". i like soft hitting ferrules..even the abs meucci one that shattered when i broke in an important match(third place loser side fight for finals)..arrggg.
^v^
^v^

stickman
05-24-2002, 07:31 AM
I like the Aegis, or Ivorine. These are Thermoset plastics. These machine well, polish well, and due to the hardness, resist scrathing. They look good. The disadvantage is the brittleness. If you like a soft hit, you might like a pad under your tip with one of these. I don't break terribly hard, but if I did, I would probably use another stick.

My second choice is the ABS or PVC. These are in the Thermoplastics catagory. These are very durable and low cost. The disadvantage is due to their softness, they are easily scratched and marred by chalk.

Troy
05-24-2002, 08:34 AM
You may like the feel of a FIBER ferrule. They provide a medium hardness between Aegis/Ivorine and ABS/PVC.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: redwinebluebird:</font><hr> i thought a ferrule question would really get a few replies.... i am very curious about this. in the nearest pool hall i don't get many opinions on this really. i'm pretty much unusual in my curiosities. cues are weird to say the least...i think this is one of few tools left that science takes a back seat to "feel". i like soft hitting ferrules..even the abs meucci one that shattered when i broke in an important match(third place loser side fight for finals)..arrggg.
^v^
^v^ <hr></blockquote>

TonyM
05-24-2002, 04:44 PM
"i thought a ferrule question would really get a few replies...."

We have talked about this many times in the past. Maybe that's why you didn't get many responses?

Tony
-E-mail me if you want more info on ferrules

05-24-2002, 07:51 PM
thanks everyone for the replies..i'm sure pretty much every question i've asked has been posted before. i've had some rather basic ones. thanks to everyone for helping me catch up with the times. so much has changed.
best regards,
^v^