PDA

View Full Version : Why has woofing become SO important?

Tommy_Davidson
12-23-2004, 12:38 AM
> It has become apparent to me that MOST players engage in this activity,so much it's almost looking like they would rather stand around and haggle back and forth for weight,argue and participate in a pissing contest then actually getting in the box. Why is this? How hard is it for people to get a game anyway? You ask someone to play,either they say yes,no,or maybe later,no haggling or needling is necessary. If they say no,move on to someone else. If they say yes,don't stand there and try to jew the guy out of a bigger spot than you need to make it a 50/50 proposition. This is pool,not Def Comedy Jam,where two contestants have to insult each other to win,it's not buying a used car,where you try to get a better deal,or is it? It also seems that the better the players,the worse it gets. I'd rather put myself in bad action and try to outrun it,than to have to resort to that kind of chicanery. It's only entertaining to me if I am watching it on occasion,not dodging it. If someone tries this crap on me,they get no action even if I have the best of it. it seems like a move to me. Am I wrong? Tommy D.

marek
12-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi!
Similar here but I usually dont argue much and accept my opponents conditions as a test of my abilities, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, the most important thing is to have fun of playing great game and try to overcome the deficit.. Its great for mental improvement trust me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
12-23-2004, 01:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tommy_Davidson:</font><hr> &gt; It has become apparent to me that MOST players engage in this activity,so much it's almost looking like they would rather stand around and haggle back and forth for weight,argue and participate in a pissing contest then actually getting in the box. Why is this? How hard is it for people to get a game anyway? You ask someone to play,either they say yes,no,or maybe later,no haggling or needling is necessary. If they say no,move on to someone else. If they say yes,don't stand there and try to jew the guy out of a bigger spot than you need to make it a 50/50 proposition. This is pool,not Def Comedy Jam,where two contestants have to insult each other to win,it's not buying a used car,where you try to get a better deal,or is it? It also seems that the better the players,the worse it gets. I'd rather put myself in bad action and try to outrun it,than to have to resort to that kind of chicanery. It's only entertaining to me if I am watching it on occasion,not dodging it. If someone tries this crap on me,they get no action even if I have the best of it. it seems like a move to me. Am I wrong? Tommy D.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Tommy,

Common, you didn't just jump off the turnip truck yourself. You've been around the bolck. The woofing is the start of match and then if a game is met the rest will follow.

It's with all gamblers and not just pool players. It's the mental edge that they try to gain the advantage and the more people involved the better it gets, for the instagater.

It started out in the fistfight when you were 12. Most calm down unless they become gamblers. Then it's worse. It's the show and they're performing. If they can get under their opponents skin? It can become a useful spot or advantage. The objective is to rattle you into making a bad bet or decision.

What I can't stand is the guy who woofs and then you agree to a spot and then, he doesn't play. That drives me into tilt and I won't play with them in any game. That to me is waisting my time and just serves to aggravate me. I'll then go off and start in on them personally and that's not good.

Funny, you mention this. I went to Chris' Billiards one day and this guy comes up to me right as I reached the top star of the enterance. Telling me I came to play some and what weight he'll need and that I'm a champion. I got to the point now that I told him, yep, I am a champion and you'll need more than what your asking for to win.

He didn't know what to say then. It was all about showing his friends that he wanted to mess with the road dawg, me. Nothing like that at all. I agreed to the race to 9 in 9 ball and giving up the 7 ball and not even seeing the guy shoot.

No matter what I said he told me that his girl didn't want him to gamble. All, a waist of my time and I didn't want to cause any eyes getting on me. I wanted to merely, watch the room and it's players before I set myself up into action. That's the best way to get money.

The bad thing was I had been playing there more than 20 yrs ago and he was the road dawg as far as I was concerned. My friends from the past soon ruined any action I could get in the place anyway. My homeboy, told me the other day he wanted me to get better so we could go back and make some games and possibly other rooms in the area I knew of.

Bottom line is gamblers try any and all means to get to know their opponent or future opponents. It's a sign of a good gambler and a idiot if they don't play when they get what they asked for. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~not woofing at his opponent now and respects it's power. I just have to be really wise and choose my ground and anything is possible. if anyone could win, it would be me.

randyg
12-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Chris is a wise man. That was a GREAT answer.....Happy Holidays..randyg

Fred Agnir
12-23-2004, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tommy_Davidson:</font><hr> It has become apparent to me that MOST players engage in this activity,so much it's almost looking like they would rather stand around and haggle back and forth for weight,argue and participate in a pissing contest then actually getting in the box. Why is this? <hr /></blockquote> As my teamates would say, "to get into their kitchen."

That is, to get into their head. Mental warefare. It isn't exclusive to pool by a long shot.

Fred

Chris Cass
12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Why thank you Randy and to you and yours too. Your a nice man my friend and I'm telling you. One day, I plan on attending your course. Just let me take care of this business and you can count on me. Until then, I wish you added success in your business in the coming year. Too bad the tax man will be there with his hand out but hopefully, you'll do just fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best Regards,

C.C.~~hasn't missed much if any with this bodi. It's like wow. mind boggling. lol I can even get down on the ball. I will say I do get over the shot in a straight line. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
12-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh, it's a move Tommy rest assured. Most don't want to play unless they've got the nuts. Even when they do some may not step up to bat like you said. Many of these so called players can't rely on their skills to take it off. They seem to think trying for a mental edge works and sometimes during the game. There gonna have to get up pretty early to outsmart this old fox. It'll back fire in their face.

Years ago we decided on the game, bet, then just played. I won't say there wasn't some haggling but it was more towards making the game fair, not perfect and not some kind of magical "mental" move!

You know pool players use to bet more. Playing for $10 or $20 a game was common. Now they want to haggle more and play for less. $20 races to 9 ain't exactly what I call a bet. That alone shows how much confidence they have. A guy says he wants 3 to 9. I say I'll give him 2 to 6 to keep the race short. These donuts don't understand the house gets a cut everytime you play. If you play long enough the house gets it all.

Well whatever, there's always the, no one gets hurt syndrome. ha ha Crap don't give me that $hit, they'll take your money in a heart beat, all of it if they can, I'm just gonna beat them to it! LOL It's another one of there weak little mental moves that backfires.

About the only time I have fun at that is with so called closer friends. Not often but sometimes we play doubles and I can bet the house will end up with the doe.

These people outside of haggling, don't pay attention and some clown around. Your always running someone down for them to shoot. It gets real boring fast. Be that as it may, they wonder why they lost the set, then whine. WTF they blame it on a single shot at the end and bypass all their other F/ups. Really I'd rather hit a few alone than deal with a lot of this B/S. When people know and understand the game, and drop the petty crap, then we'll play.

Rod

nhp
12-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I see that kind of stuff happen all the time. There is this one guy who comes into my home poolroom once in a while, who plays pretty good one-pocket, but definately not like a pro or shortstop. This guy has a wife and kids, and he doesn't make much money, but is often known to gamble away his entire paycheck. So yesterday (Dec 23rd) he comes in woofin at everyone, saying he's down to his last barrel of cash and he's willing to bet it all. Nobody wanted to play him, even the better players than him (I think out of the goodness of their hearts) but this guy just won't stop barking at everyone. He tells every single person that they are 'scared' of him. So the best player in the room stepped up to play, and they decided on $50 per game one-pocket, the better player giving the woofer 10-8. So the woofer looses $450, and only pays up $350, saying that's all he's got. The good player got so angry at him, telling him that if he didn't fire an air-barrel he would have given him some money back so he wouldn't be broke, but he said that since he stiffed him, the guy wouldn't even pay the entire time, so the woofer was in debt like another $40 to the poolhall because he didn't pay his share (because he was busted). Oh well, some guys are just dumb.

Steve Lipsky
12-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Is "jew" really such a common word in some parts of the country that it passes almost unnoticed?

(I'm not offended. I've never been to a temple in my life. I'm reacting the same way I would if the "n" word was used. I guess I just think it's a shame.)

- Steve &lt;--- doesn't think anyone in this thread is prejudiced, including the original poster... just surprised the word was used.

Tommy_Davidson
12-24-2004, 11:52 PM
&gt; I made a an error here,and I'm not avoiding the subject the slightest bit. It was pretty insensitive of me to have used a word like that,and what makes it worse is that I did it without giving it much thought. Some took this as an overall statement of my views on racial matters,some overlooked it and discussed the topic I intended to discuss here,and others corrected me,but I thank all of you for your input. I am as respectful of other peoples cultures as I can be,and meant no intentional malice in my use of this word at all,and I openly ask for forgiveness in this matter. On the other hand,to suggest I used the word that I did to intentionally slur a group or individual is absurd. This was my own lack of forethought,not hatred or ignorance towards another race or religion, On the other hand,it WAS ignorant of me to use this word. I scratched,you have ball in hand. Tommy D.

nhp
12-25-2004, 01:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Is "jew" really such a common word in some parts of the country that it passes almost unnoticed?

(I'm not offended. I've never been to a temple in my life. I'm reacting the same way I would if the "n" word was used. I guess I just think it's a shame.)

- Steve &lt;--- doesn't think anyone in this thread is prejudiced, including the original poster... just surprised the word was used. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve I think it was good you pointed that out to Tommy, even though I'm sure he meant no harm by using the term. I've noticed that many sub-cultures use racial derogatory terms into their 'slang' and they don't even realize the meaning of it. I think it is good to point out to these people that what may be a normal word in their every day language, could be potentially harmfull to other groups of people, and possibly cause a fight or something.

Steve Lipsky
12-25-2004, 01:37 AM
Tommy, it's not a problem. Just for the record, I think I was the only one to bring this up. Also, I thought I made pains to say I didn't think anyone, including you, was prejudiced.

Anyway, I appreciate you saying the intonations weren't intentional.

I guess it's just that being from NY, it's hard for me to believe this is a common term in some places.

- Steve

Vagabond
12-25-2004, 05:04 AM
Just wondering!!!!
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jjinfla
12-25-2004, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Is "jew" really such a common word in some parts of the country that it passes almost unnoticed?
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Steve, Well I am a bit older than most and growing up it was understood that Jewish people were the money lenders, furriers, diamond/gold merchants, pawn brokers, the wheeler dealers, who always got the best deal. Maxwell street in Chicago was "Jew Town" where you knew the best deals were. But be prepared to do battle (haggle) and don't ever pay the asking price. LOL

Of course then this was not a putdown but a compliment. And the Jews I knew laughed all the way to the bank.

Over the years it has taken on different meanings. But you know that. And the word did jump out when I first read it. But I guess that is just the changing times.

Being Polish I have had to put up with all the Polish jokes. For some reason people always thought it was not a put down. But got upset when I would retell the joke and use the N word, or another ethnic slur, instead of Polak.

Hey, my grandparents came from Poland so I might even be a Polish Jew. There were a lot of them. Especially with a first name of Jacob.

Jake

DickLeonard
12-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Steve in Detroit the action Capital of the poolworld in the late 60s till I don't know when. One of the big action guys was Jew Paul, he ran a dishware company that many pool players were making thousands a week selling.

I know Joe Canton and Danny Deliberto were selling it and Bernie Schwartz was a boss in the operation. I know they called him by that name and there was nothing racial but affection for him.

Maybe in other parts of the Country it doesn't have the same ring as New York.####