PDA

View Full Version : School bans student dressed as Santa from dance

SnakebyteXX
12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
School bans student dressed as Santa from holiday dance
December 23, 2004

HAMPTON, N.H. -- A seventh-grader dressed as Santa Claus at a school dance was turned away by the principal, who said it was a holiday party -- not a Christmas party -- and the school must be sensitive to students who have other religious beliefs.

But school Superintendent James Gaylord said the boy was banned because he violated the dress code for last Friday's event, which was supposed to be a "dress-up dance."

Gaylord also said the beard covered the student's face, so it was difficult to tell who it was.

Now the board is looking into whether officials at Hampton Academy Junior High School put the child in jeopardy because instead of changing and returning to the dance, he left the building alone, and at night.

Gaylord insisted Wednesday that the action was not based on concerns that the outfit represented a religious statement by the student, Bryan Lafond, nor was it based on any school or districtwide policy, since there are none.

But Principal Fred Muscara is quoted in a local newspaper as saying, "It was a holiday party. It was not a Christmas party. There is a separation of church and state. We have a lot of students that go to Hampton Academy Junior High that have different religions. We have to be sensitive to that."

Lafond attended the dance with a friend, who wore an elf's hat. It is unclear if the friend was asked to remove the hat.

Link (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2004/12/23/school_bans_student_dressed_as_santa_from_holiday_ dance/)

Wally_in_Cincy
12-27-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>
... A seventh-grader dressed as Santa Claus at a school dance was turned away by the principal, who said it was a holiday party -- not a Christmas party -- and the school must be sensitive to students who have other religious beliefs....

<hr /></blockquote>

Good grief.

How's about somebody being sensitive to my beliefs?

pooltchr
12-27-2004, 07:10 AM
How is Santa supposed to have religeous implications? Of all the characters in the Bible, that is one I must have missed!!!

highsea
12-27-2004, 07:26 AM
How Saint Nicholas became Santa Claus.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

Qtec
12-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Who are these people that complain about Christmas, Santa Claus etc?

Q [ doesnt get it]

Wally_in_Cincy
12-27-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Who are these people that complain about Christmas, Santa Claus etc?
<hr /></blockquote>

ACLU

highsea
12-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Basically it's the leftists, ACLU types who say it violates the separation of church and state. They also say it offends non-Christians. They are against any display of Christianity in public places, schools, etc. No manger scenes in public squares anymore, pretty soon towns won't be allowed to put up Christmas trees, etc. A lot of retailers this year warned their employees against saying "merry christmas" to shoppers. We don't want to offend anyone... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-CM~~~and people say the US is being taken over by evangelicals...

SnakebyteXX
12-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Personally I don't give two hoots about the religious implications - I think Santa sucks for other reasons.

Santa Claus has been co-opted by the mall merchants and mass merchandisers until the symbol of Santa has become little more than a commercial vehicle to help them promote sales. 'He' now represents little more than a conduit for merchandisers to make their pitch and the symbolic vehicle for a socially approved seasonal expression of boundless materialism and greed.

"Santa, I want this and this and this and that." - "Okay parents, here's your list - now get out there and go shopping!"

I never thought much about what a rip-off the whole Santa thing was until we had kids. Then I realized that there was something about the whole thing that didn't feel right. One was lying to my kids about something that I knew sooner or later they would learn was untrue. Think about what that does to undermine your child's trust in what you tell them. In the long run, what's more important, that they believe in you or Santa?

The other was giving unearned credit to a fictitious being for bringing them presents. Santa didn't work like a dog to earn the money to buy those presents - we did. Santa didn't fight the Christmas crowds to get just the right things for my sons or daughter - we did.

My wife and I reconciled our Santa dilemma by relegating his contribution to the stockings that we hung by the chimney with care - that way our kids could have fun imagining that such a being existed without putting too much faith in his capacity to give them everything they wanted. When the time finally came to break it to them that it was us who filled the stockings and not some imaginary weirdo in a red suit - they were good to go.

Snake &lt;-- closet Santa hater.

SPetty
12-27-2004, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> The other was giving unearned credit to a fictitious being for bringing them presents.<hr /></blockquote>My sad story... At my brother's request several years ago, I made my nephew a personalized sports shelf thing that hangs on the wall and would hold one or two baseball bats, his baseball glove and his baseball cap, plus miscellaneous other things, in one place. Spent many hours making it - personalized, you know. I sent it to him before christmas so it would be there in time.

We visited his house about a week after christmas. I asked my nephew what he got... One of the favorite things he got was this baseball sports shelf thing. I asked "and who got you that?" - his answer was "Santa!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

He never knew it was me.