PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play Online Pool?

comedyman
12-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Does anyone play online pool? This stuff looks realistic but not quite the real thing. There's a whole directory of pool games at http://freewebarcade.com

You should try 3d Multiplayer Billiards.

DavidMorris
12-24-2004, 08:55 AM
As far as pool/billiard video games go, those are poor. Pretty much the king of the hill and the only worth playing for a semi-serious pool player is Virtual Pool 3. Not to sound like our resident alien Patrick, but the physics in VP3 are pretty much spot on with regards to english, swerve, throw, cling, jumps, et al. I play online with it occassionally. It's no substitute for real play of course, but for a video game it's a lot of fun and the closest you'll get to picking up a cue.

johnnyt
12-24-2004, 09:10 AM
I agree that Virtual Pool is the best,but pogo.com has 9-ball,8-ball,and cut throat online free and its not to bad. Yahoo pool sux IMO.
Johnnyt

tateuts
12-24-2004, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> As far as pool/billiard video games go, those are poor. Pretty much the king of the hill and the only worth playing for a semi-serious pool player is Virtual Pool 3. Not to sound like our resident alien Patrick, but the physics in VP3 are pretty much spot on with regards to english, swerve, throw, cling, jumps, et al. I play online with it occassionally. It's no substitute for real play of course, but for a video game it's a lot of fun and the closest you'll get to picking up a cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi David,

One of my best friends developed and co-authored the virtual pool program. He will be happy to read your post - I'll send it to him.

The reason why the game is so good is because he also is a very good player - Steve Chaplin. He helped get me back into the game after a long layoff.

He has some really hot games in the pipeline too - a PDA version and a new cellular version, as well as Playstation and X-Box version. You might also see the arcade game "Jam Up Pool" and play a virtual hustler ot two.

Virtual Pool was the first and is by far the most sucessful of the pc platform games.

Chris

DavidMorris
12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>Hi David,

One of my best friends developed and co-authored the virtual pool program. He will be happy to read your post - I'll send it to him.

The reason why the game is so good is because he also is a very good player - Steve Chaplin. He helped get me back into the game after a long layoff.

He has some really hot games in the pipeline too - a PDA version and a new cellular version, as well as Playstation and X-Box version. You might also see the arcade game "Jam Up Pool" and play a virtual hustler ot two.

Virtual Pool was the first and is by far the most sucessful of the pc platform games.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>
Hey, Chris, that's cool! I'm a software developer myself, so I can appreciate that effort that must have gone into the graphics engine and physics modeling. I was always a VP fan, and have owned all versions for the PC platform. All were good, but IMO VP3 is the best by far. VP3 was recently re-released without Jeanette Lee (using some mythical hustler instead) and I hear the new developers are releasing updates again. I'm hoping for a VP4 that is even better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
12-24-2004, 11:32 AM
I actually bought that game. I have played little it's a pain in the butt game. Moving the mouse several times to find the right position isn't fun. I can't even tell exactly how I'm aimed, it's a big guess. This comes from a hundred ball runner at 14-1, the real game.

I'll admit the physics seem close but if this is close to real pool, I'm missing something.

Rod

DavidMorris
12-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Rod, yes it does have its peculiarities. But as someone who enjoys and plays a lot of PC games, it wasn't a big deal to get the hang of the controls for me. I can certainly understand how someone who might not be accustomed to such things would find it frustrating, at least until they became comfortable with the controls.

Having said that, I wouldn't say it's "close" to real pool. I would only say that, compared to other pool games, it's the closest you'll find. The physics are very accurate (too accurate, since it's a computer model and doesn't take into account some of the "phyiscal" things that happen in the real world). But the stroke is always perfectly straight, and judging swing speed is maddening using a mouse. Speed control is my biggest gripe with the game. Still, it's a fun aside when I'm sitting at the PC and want to just knock balls around. When I really get the itch to play, I just go upstairs and play on the real table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, believe it or not, but I've seen a video game controller that is used for pool games. It's a little base unit that plugs into the PC and a real cue rides in the V groove, where sensors translate the cue motion to control the game. I never bothered because if I'm gonna get a cue out, I'm gonna play on a real table.

Rod
12-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I've read part of the instructions. LOL But when they say set the game up as you like ---. I know it can be changed but the help section leaves some to be desired. What I don't get is the aim. If it had a line, (I see it sometimes) where to aim it would be better.

I don't know if you guys see an aim line or what you see. If the cue is elevated you can't see where you aim. If you get down very low then you lose the angle or sight of the pocket. Some of this happens in real pool to a degree but not near as much. Is there a way to play with an aim line?

I'm a stand up player but here there is no way I can visualize the exact angle. I need an instructor for VP3, never for real pool. LOL Well I'll see what happens.

Rod

Ives
12-24-2004, 03:54 PM
I think if you set up the difficulty level to easy it gives you a line to aim with. I might be wrong about this though, i uninstalled it awhile ago. Think i'll put it back on. Talking about it has me inthe mood again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif