PDA

View Full Version : People With Alot of Knowledge About Cues...Help!

nhp
12-25-2004, 01:33 AM
This is driving me mad. I've had a custom cue made by a no-name local guy for about 3 years. In the past 6 months, I've had 3 different kinds of layered tips top few layers come off, and today was the 4th time my ferrule has came loose. I've had the ferrule replaced 3 times, from two different cue repairmen. I use a 11.75mm shaft with a very long taper. Does anyone know why this keeps happening to me? The cue just hits like crap now, it used to hit great when I first got it. Even when I get a new ferrule and tip it just doesn't hit as good, and the tip and ferrule always have to get replaced. Could it somehow be caused by the thin shaft diameter I use?

BLACKHEART
12-25-2004, 05:57 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifLocally there is a 26 team league. Some years ago, a few players got it in there heads to have their shafts cut down a little smaller. Since then it's turned into an epidemic. Dozens of these players have had me cut their shafts down. The size ranges from 12.75mm to 10mm. I service all of these cues regularlly & never have any of the problems that you speak of. As long as you clean off the old glue & have a fairly good fit between the ferrule & shaft tenon, there should be no problem. I use both SUPER GLUE GEL & 2 PART EPOXY & don't have ANY failures. Somebody doesn't know what they're doing...JER

Troy
12-25-2004, 09:39 AM
I agree with Jer (BLACKHEART). Somebody does not know what they are doing. I also have done numerous re-tapers and ferrule replacements using both Super Glue Gel (LocktiteŽ or DuroŽ) and 2-Part Epoxy with no failures.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> This is driving me mad. I've had a custom cue made by a no-name local guy for about 3 years. In the past 6 months, I've had 3 different kinds of layered tips top few layers come off, and today was the 4th time my ferrule has came loose. I've had the ferrule replaced 3 times, from two different cue repairmen. I use a 11.75mm shaft with a very long taper. Does anyone know why this keeps happening to me? The cue just hits like crap now, it used to hit great when I first got it. Even when I get a new ferrule and tip it just doesn't hit as good, and the tip and ferrule always have to get replaced. Could it somehow be caused by the thin shaft diameter I use? <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
12-25-2004, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> This is driving me mad. I've had a custom cue made by a no-name local guy for about 3 years. In the past 6 months, I've had 3 different kinds of layered tips top few layers come off, and today was the 4th time my ferrule has came loose. I've had the ferrule replaced 3 times, from two different cue repairmen. I use a 11.75mm shaft with a very long taper. Does anyone know why this keeps happening to me? The cue just hits like crap now, it used to hit great when I first got it. Even when I get a new ferrule and tip it just doesn't hit as good, and the tip and ferrule always have to get replaced. Could it somehow be caused by the thin shaft diameter I use? <hr /></blockquote> IMO, it's either bad glue, bad glue process(like failure to understand how to use epoxy), or bad ferrule material (like he picked some Delrin and is trying to use it for ferrule).

Fred

jayman
12-25-2004, 04:48 PM
I had a friend with the same delamination problem. He brought a new tip over to watch me install it for him. I put the epoxy on the proper side and he said 'thats the wrong side' I imediatly understood what had gon wrong so many times. just to prove it we used a cheapo j&amp;j cue i had and did it upside down. the one on the cheapo cue started coming apart as we tuned it, and the one on his is still fine after more than two years. I would add that if you are using the old porper lama tips, they were just lousy tips and fell apart anyway.