PDA

View Full Version : BALL PLACEMENT IN 14.1 BEFORE THE NEW RACK

ROGUE
12-27-2004, 10:36 AM
In straight pool, if the fifteenth ball is behind the head string and the cue ball is in the rack, I know from an old book that the cueball goes on the headspot but,can you shoot the unracked ball directely or do you go across the head string?

Tom_In_Cincy
12-27-2004, 11:36 AM
When the cue ball is behind the headstring (with BIH), your shot does not start until the cue ball passes beyond the headstring.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-27-2004, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> When the cue ball is behind the headstring (with BIH), your shot does not start until the cue ball passes beyond the headstring. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

He's referring to a situation where the cb is placed on the head spot (fifteenth ball is behind the head string and the cue ball is in the rack).

That situation is addressed in the rules but they do not say if you can shoot the ob that is in the kitchen (I would assume you can).

It's an interesting question.

Where's Mr. Lipsky? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cane
12-27-2004, 12:17 PM
According to the BCA Offical Rules and Records Book:

If the cue ball is in the rack and the 15th ball is in the kitchen, then the cue ball goes on the head spot and the 15th ball remains in position.

Now, in this situation you do NOT have ball in hand behind the headstring, then the 15th ball would be available to shoot. My reasoning is that "Ball in Hand" means you can position the cue ball anywhere in the kitchen (behind the headstring) that you want it. Cue ball on the Head Spot is NOT ball in hand. There is also a note that saying that if the 15th ball is in the kitchen and NOT on the head spot, that means that the 15th ball is in the kitchen and does not interfere with the spotting of a ball on the headspot, so if the 15th ball is in the kitchen, the cue ball in the rack and the 15th ball interferes with the cue ball being placed on the headspot, then the 15th ball stays in position and the cue ball is spotted on the Center Spot.

BTW, the rules also state that the cue ball or 15th ball will be considered as being "in the rack" if they interfere with the triangle being "lowered straight down into posting for racking". I've seen players try to "mark" the cue or last ball because they couldn't rack without moving it. This is wrong. The rules specifically state that if the ball interferes with the traingle then it's in the rack and must be placed according the the rules. There are a great combination of scenarios in the Rules, and I haven't checked, but you may be able to view them at the BCA website.

Later,
Bob (also wishes Straight Pool would make a comeback)

daviddjmp
12-27-2004, 12:41 PM
The 14.1 rules and the chart with all the different contingencies can be viewed at:

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/

Go to Game Rules/14.1 Continuous

Bob_Jewett
12-27-2004, 03:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ROGUE:</font><hr> In straight pool, if the fifteenth ball is behind the head string and the cue ball is in the rack, I know from an old book that the cueball goes on the headspot but,can you shoot the unracked ball directely or do you go across the head string? <hr /></blockquote>
On the first shot of a new rack at 14.1, you are never restricted as to which ball you can hit first or which one you call.