PDA

View Full Version : sealing Irish Linen

FastJoey
12-28-2004, 12:58 AM
i have a cue with a Irish Linen wrap.i would like to seal it so it would feel like a No wrap.can anyone tell me what product to seal it with?is there a spray can of laquer clear that i can buy?thank you for all the details... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
12-28-2004, 05:37 AM
First Choice... find a cue maker who is experienced with finishing cues. A "do it yourself" job is probably going to leave you with a mess on your hands.

Second choice is to buy a cue with no wrap.

Seventeenth choice...buy a Meucci! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (Sorry..I couldn't resist! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

DialUp
12-28-2004, 12:16 PM
I agree, buy a cue with no wrap.

If you are set on this cue, remove the wrap and fill and sand the recess. Surely there are several fillers you could use. I guess Bondo would work and is sandable but would ruin the value of the cue. You could use "Durrams Rock Hard" instead. Water disolves it so it would be removable but you would have to seal it to keep moisture from getting in. Paint it I guess...

However, I would just get a new cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Man Joey,

Why didn't you buy a cue without the linen wrap? Ok, don't seal this wrap with spray clearcoat. Just take it to a cue man and have him sand the wrap slightly and press it till it comes out so smooth that it'll feel like no linen is there.

My wrap is pressed about 6 times with polish of course. That's on my S.W. however, it does the job that it's intended for. You could have the wrap replaced with leather or cork. I'd just buy another cue.

Regards,

C.C.

BLACKHEART
12-28-2004, 04:16 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThe way it's usually done, is to mask off the rest of the cue from the wrap & apply several coats of white glue, letting them dry in between coats. Then sand & spray a clear coat over that as a final finish. Your cue came from the factory, sealed with starch,so I don't think the glue will stick to it. I think you are stuck with what you have. If you take it to a repairman, the charge to change the wrap & seal it, will probably be about $50...JER

Chris Cass
12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Hi JER,

That was very interesting although I would never do it. I like the way you open up to everyone.

Regards,

C.C.~~scared to work too much on any cues. lol