PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Tip for Sanitationman!

CarolNYC
12-28-2004, 05:30 AM
I just returned from walking my dog and its garbage day!
As I pass my next door neighbors trash can, I see sticking out from under the lid a $10 bill with the words "Happy Holidays" written on it!
Now, I don't know if this was nice or stupid,but, I personally ,wait for the Sanitation to come,then I go out and give him a card!

Carol~anybody need 10 bucks! LMAO!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-28-2004, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I just returned from walking my dog and its garbage day!
As I pass my next door neighbors trash can, I see sticking out from under the lid a $10 bill with the words "Happy Holidays" written on it!
Now, I don't know if this was nice or stupid,but, I personally ,wait for the Sanitation to come,then I go out and give him a card!

<hr /></blockquote>

I guess it depends on the neighborhood /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What if you have to go to work and don't see the guy?

I tip my trash dude at Christmas. He has a tough job.

Hey I saw a pic of you and Dawn Hopkins and your bro' in BD yesterday.

CarolNYC
12-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Hi Wally,
[ QUOTE ]
What if you have to go to work and don't see the guy?
<hr /></blockquote>

Yep, I guess you have to do what you have to do /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for mentioning the article-we had alot of fun that day!
I'll give you all dirt when I see you in Peoria /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif-you will be there,right?????????
Stay well!
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
12-29-2004, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>

...I'll give you all dirt when I see you in Peoria /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif-you will be there,right?....<hr /></blockquote>

Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PQQLK9
01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
How about these guys /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Posted on Fri, Jan. 07, 2005

1 man's trash is everyone's treasure

Garbagemen find $5,100 in shirt pocket in bag of old clothes

HANNAH MITCHELL

Staff Writer

HICKORY - New Year's eve was just another day on the job for Hickory garbagemen Edwin Workman and Todd Little.

Then came the unusual piece of trash: $5,100 in cash.

Workman found the money in a loose trash bag filled with clothes that he had picked from a curb. Being in the upper-income Lake Hickory area, he thought the castoffs could still be wearable, so he hung onto the bag while the pair continued down the street.

About a block from where he picked up the bag, he briefly glanced through its contents and noticed a shirt pocket full of something.

When he reached in, he pulled out what turned out to be 51 $100 bills.

"It took me a minute to catch my breath," Workman said Thursday.

While his mind grappled with the discovery and what to do next, he hopped back into the trash truck. "You're not going to believe what I found," Workman told Little.

"He pulled it out, and my heart jumped a couple beats," Little said. "I said, `You got to be kidding.' "

The find came to more than two months take-home pay -- even when you combine both men's salaries.

Without saying much, the two immediately knew they must return the cash to the house where Workman found the bag of clothes. "I was reading his mind at the same time he was reading my mine," Workman said.

So they drove back to the house, but the owner wasn't there. At the end of their work day, the men drove their own cars back to the lake house. The woman who answered the door was as flabbergasted as they had been about the discovery. She had cleaned out a closet and thrown away some of her husband's old clothes, not knowing about the cash tucked in the shirt.

The men gave her the money, and the bag of clothes, in case there was more money in it. She thanked them profusely, and they went on their way.

The woman, who asked to remain anonymous, called City Hall on Monday to praise Workman and Little, and City Manager Mick Berry passed along the story to the City Council at its Tuesday meeting. Other than that, the men have endured much ribbing from their colleagues.

They said they did what anybody would have done. "If Mom and Dad hadn't taught me right from wrong, I might have said, `See you later. You've got more money than I do,' " Little said.

Still, the men appreciate being appreciated, realizing that trash workers and city workers in general don't always get a lot of respect.

"It's like we're at the bottom of the totem pole because we do this type of work," Workman said. "But it's a job."
Hannah Mitchell: (828) 324-0055; hmitchell@charlotteobserver.com.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/10586664.htm

CarolNYC
01-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Very cool,Nick!
Well, the trash man didnt come for two days and that ten bucks stayed under that lid-hmmmmmm......I wonder how long 51 hundred dollar bills woulda stayed under that lid /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey, are you coming to Rocky Mount?
Carol

DickLeonard
01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Carol I usually give the trash men a twenty, four or five times a year,the recycle men get ten the same time.

My cousins son fell in love with garbage around 5 years old. He would follow the garbage trucks around the blocks by his house. As he grew older he started picking out the metal from the garbage. When he was 16 he bought himself a used garbage truck and went into business, by the time he was 21 he had sold two routes to BFI and went to Florida to manage a teminal for them.

He came back home and started a new company today he has 70 to 80 garbage trucks and 100s of dumpsters and a rairoad siding where he ships garbage to Utah for most of the haulers in the area.

He suffered years of torment going to high school but now he is laughing all the way to the bank.####

3ni

CarolNYC
01-07-2005, 04:04 PM
What a wonderful story,Dick!

Good for him!
Stay well!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
01-07-2005, 09:49 PM
YO, Dick Leonard........your buddy bobby freemantle told me to say thank you for the picture. He had forgotten it after all these years. I see him going into price chopper a few times every year. The picture still hangs up at his work. By the way everybody, Bobby works for the City of Troy on the Sanitation truck, thought it was appropriate here. And it is a picture of bobby and myself watching ##### leonard playing Willie Mosconi during an exhibition. We, bobby and myself were both about 13 or 14 at the time....AHHH....the good old days...................................mike

CarolNYC
01-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Hey Mike,
When I stayed with "Gayle from MD" she showed me pictures of Dick-I think I saw one where you were in the background-great picure-YEP,we have some pretty awesome players on this board! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2005, 07:51 AM
A local radio talk show had the topic of "stupid people and the stupid things they say" and one guy called in and said his wife said "the trash man has an easy job, he only has to work one day a week"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif