PDA

View Full Version : gonna build 1 or the other

cueball1950
12-29-2004, 12:04 AM
i am going to build a plain jane cue or a simple computer. which is going to be harder to build. Any ideas where i can find parts for both. i am serious about this........mike

Cueless Joey
12-29-2004, 12:45 AM
You can build a computer in one day with a screw driver.
Try that with a cue.

Popcorn
12-29-2004, 02:33 AM
A computer would be defiantly easier. Do you have any means to build a cue, tools etc.? I cue is not that hard to do for yourself, but for resale it has to be perfect. For example I just made myself a new shaft and it had blemishes that would be unsuitable for selling but doesn't bother me at all and other then that is a good piece of wood. Once it gets a little dirty, I don't like white shafts I like a little patina, you won't see them anyway. You could make yourself a Sneaky Pete on a wood lathe. I can tell you the trick to getting the screw perfectly centered even on a wood lathe.

Perk
12-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I personally think that a cue would be harder to do, and probably have a better feeling of accomplishment when you are finished. A computer is very easy to build, and wont take as long. Not sure on the cost now, but 4 years ago, I could build a computer for 400.00 that would be normally sold in stores for 1500.00 or so. Pretty sure you could do the same now if you worked at it.

Check many different wholesaler sites etc for computer equipment. One I used to use: www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com) Also do a search on 'how to build a computer' and you will see abunch of links.

Now that you can purchase cpus at a fairly low cost that are capable of most things that users will do, I would definately make the cue. Heck, you might make a cue and decide to make a bunch, improving each time. Parttime hobby could be a money maker in the late years if you have talent.

Happy Holidays!

DavidMorris
12-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, I can't speak to building a cue, but I built lots of computers. Once you have the parts, you can build a PC in an hour or two -- try that with a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, and if you're looking for one-stop PC parts shopping, I recommend against TigerDirect. They're okay sometimes for a part on sale here and there, but for the best prices, including shipping, everyday you want to go with Newegg (http://www.newegg.com) (the #1 source for PC builders, bar none) or ZipZoomFly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com) (used to be GoogleGear). I usually compare between the two of them when I'm shopping for parts. Newegg is by far my most used, I've spent many thousands with them over the years, as have all of my fellow PC-building friends and colleagues.

If you have any PC related questions, feel free to ask or PM me. It's what I do both for a living and a hobby, when I'm not playing pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi Mike,

I have a shaft that isn't tapped into yet and it has a joint collar along with a ferrule that you might want to change. It's around a 14 MM and needs a taper. It's like what I would call a blank but anyway, it came to my wife from Instroke when I bought he Bufello(sp) case. They had it in one of the tubes and it looks like it's in the last few stages of completion. It's not expensive wood by no means or I would have sent it back to the company. I'd be happy to send it to you for a practice shaft before you get something good.

Regards,

C.C.

smfsrca
12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3118_7-5122934.html?tag=prmo1

PQQLK9
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I have one also and when I called and told then about it they said that they usually include one in each case they sell. I have two Instroke cases but only one came with the blank shaft. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BLACKHEART
12-29-2004, 11:54 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI sometimes build a straight grained maple Q, that has a finished & polished shaft,complete with ferrule & tip. The butt section is cut to final size & rough sanded. All you have to do is finish sand & put a clear finish on it. I charge $150 for these...JER

pooltchr
12-29-2004, 06:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I have one also and when I called and told then about it they said that they usually include one in each case they sell. I have two Instroke cases but only one came with the blank shaft. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Nick, I believe it actually has something to do with the import laws. For some reason, if a case is shipped empty it is taxed at a different rate than if it is the "container" for a shaft (Usually a VERY inexpensive shaft). You should see the collection of them in our office!
Steve

mksmith713
12-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Your plain jane cue won't be obsolete in 2 months.