PDA

View Full Version : Texas is too Darn Big for the Bothof Us, Pard!!!!

Deeman2
12-29-2004, 07:30 AM
I thought it was nice that a tournament was right here in Texas in January. The South Padre Island event. I did a mapquest and, Holy Smokes, it's a 12 hour drive from Longview! It's only a little south of here (I thought) and makes for a great three day weekend event. However, the Derby City Clasic is the same distance! Atlanta is the same distance! I may still make the trip but it certainly is clear that Santa Anna would never have made it to Longview even if the Texicans had not held him up in The Alamo. To think, I had avoided an event in Memphis because it was too far and now I see that was only half the distance that this one is. Gee, I can look fondly back at York, PA. where Baltimore was an hour away and Phily was about two hours. No wonder my father moved here in the late 60's to avoid child support, it would have taken a caravan to come and hunt him down!

Well, if any people close want to make the trip as a meandering tribe, I'll sign up. With the recent fiascos in the airlines, I'd just as soon drive or walk there. If someone has a small plane and doesn't fly it (long shot) I will volunteer to fly it down. If it was warmer, we could all make a bike trip out of it but it will probably be cold then (it's going to be in the mid-seventies here tomorrow!).

Deeman
needs a basic geography class, again....

Cane
12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Deeman,

Yep, it's a long haul, for sure, but I took a gander at my arthritic knees and swollen fingers and thought, OK, lets put this on the scale! Padre Island, January, could probably get by on my lightweight flyfishing shirts and light Columbia pants (the kind with the zip off legs... I look more like an ad for Flyfishing Magazine when I go to a tournament than anything else), OR Louisville, KY, January, cold, aching when I get up in the morning... I gotta tell you, it only took me a couple of seconds to see which way the scales were tipping on that weigh-in!

The only thing that made it take that long to make the decision was that it's about a 14 hour drive for me to Padre, 802 miles from my house to the Convention Centre, and it's only a 700 mile trip to Louisville... That 100 miles doesn't really make that much difference.

I'd like to make both, but even though I'm retired, I do have to budget things and doing a 1400 mile round trip one week and a 1600 mile trip a couple of weeks later just ain't in the budget, ya know... I don't think it's in my body, either! Funny how time treats you... 10 years ago, I'd drive from here to Boise, ID to see a friend, 1600 miles, and stop only for gas and a quick shower at a truck stop in Rock Springs, WY. 26 hours of driving, no problem. Now, I have to get out of the car and stretch my legs every couple of hundred miles or they'll have to have a crew with a cherrypicker to get me out of the car when I get there! Here to Dallas is about my limit without a rest! *S* btw, I live not that far north of you, in Oklahoma. A small town called Poteau. If you know where Fort Smith AR is located, I'm 30 miles southwest of there... I may have to make a trip to Longview and get a few games in with you sometime this spring if you don't mind.

Later,
Bob

SpiderMan
12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Bob,

How far are you from Broken Bow and/or Idabel? I go there now and then.

SpiderMan

Cane
12-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Let me think... Oh, yeah, it's exactly 89.5 miles from my driveway to the first access at Beaver Creek on the Lower Mountain Fork River (some great flyfishing for trout in there!), then 12 miles on into Broken Bow... of course, as you know, Idabel is just a hop away from Broken Bow.

Are there any pool rooms in either of the towns? Only reason I've ever been there is to trout fish on the LMF River. If there are pool rooms, then next time I'll throw my cue in along with the fly rods!

Later,
Bob

PS: Be happy to meet you there anytime, for pool or flyfishing.

Deeman2
12-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Bob,

Now you make me feel sorry that I complained about the distance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's just a long way to go but I may do it anyway. I'd prefer Louisville as I usually make the Derby there and would love have all three events as well as watch the ring games.

All in all, I am just frustrated that any major pool event is so far from me here. I used to get upset about driving to NY or Phily for an event but those were hangers compared to the distances from here. Dallas is close (2&1/2 hours) but I don't see many events there.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you and playing some pool. You don't happen to play one pocket, do you?

Deeman
whining is a way of life.....

I would love to have you come to Longview and play. I do know where Fort Smith is, I was born in Arkansas (witness my bad teeth!)I somtimes go to Oklahoma for a large horse auction and have family all over Arkansas, mostly on the East side.

I, too, am getting up there in years (52) and don't travel as well as I once did. I can drive for 24 hours straight but, like you, need a crane to get me out of the truck. I'm a pilot but buying, renting and flying a plane is just not economical anymore.