PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Ohrbach has died

Wally_in_Cincy
12-29-2004, 08:30 AM
Pool has lost a great supporter to prostate cancer

9 Ball Girl
12-29-2004, 10:13 AM
This is very sad news. He was just so up and at 'em when I spoke with him during the World Summit of Pool back in October. May he RIP and I'm going to miss Det. Lennie.

cueball1950
12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
May you go with God's speed and may you rest in peace...mike

houseman
12-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Yes, saw it on the news late last night. We lost another supporter of the game.
I watch Law and Order faithfully and all the reruns too. He was a darn good 14-1 player too!
Miss ya Jerry, God Bless

DSAPOLIS
12-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Jerry's passing is very sad news. He was a great actor, a great friend, and definitely a great pool player. He will be missed by all.

Paul_Mon
12-29-2004, 07:35 PM
May God bless him. Watching "Law and Order" reruns won't ever be the same. So what are the symptoms of prostrate cancer? I have a family history of colon cancer, my mother at 39 years old and her father at 50. So I've had regular colonoscopy exams. What would indicate that my prostrate was cancerous?

Paul Mon~~~~loved the wisecrack

12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm no doctor nor anything close, Paul, but the way I understand it, if there's a history of cancer in your family, you can inherit a TENDENCY towards it. If you're getting regular checkups, you're taking the necessary precautions.

As for Jerry, he was a terrific guy, and one of the few showbiz folks who could do more than just talk a good game (Bob Hope and Milton Berle, for instance, always claimed that they were at least the equal of Jackie Gleason; there is no proof of this whatsoever). I first met him over 40 years ago, when he was beginning his career here in "The Fantasticks", and when we got re-acquainted in the late '90s, even though he was famous, there was not the least thing condescending or patronizing about him. In short, I wish I had known him way better, and from a distance there's hardly anything nicer you can say about a guy. GF

WaltVA
12-29-2004, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> ...So what are the symptoms of prostrate cancer? I have a family history of colon cancer, my mother at 39 years old and her father at 50. So I've had regular colonoscopy exams. What would indicate that my prostrate was cancerous?
Paul Mon~~~~loved the wisecrack <hr /></blockquote>
Make sure your regular physical blood work-up includes a check of your PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) levels, and ask your doctor about the results. Elevated PSA levels can be an early indication of prostate cancer.

Walt in VA

Keith Talent
12-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Orbach's funeral was today ... anybody here attend, or know whether any pool world folks turned out and if his devotion to the game came up during the service? Just reading a story on it right now ... and no mention of his connection to the game.

DickLeonard
12-31-2004, 06:08 PM
I always thought I would meet Jerry one day. I just stop going to pool tourneys. Nice to see GF after a post.####

paulfr
01-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Have your PSA checked at least once a year if you are 45 or older. But a high (over 4.0) level may just mean your prostate is large but not necessarily cancerous. If it is high, you will need a biopsy for examination of the tissue. It is relatively painless about like getting 6 shots in the rear.
If you have any touble unrinating (flow restricted) you should get checked too.
Jerry Orbach was a nice guy I am told. May he rest in peace.