PDA

View Full Version : Cuemakers - info. on IVOR-X

cheese_ball
12-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Have any of you cuemakers, or players for that matter, worked with a ferrule compound called IVOR-X??? I am setting up shop, and was exposed to this material, but I'm not quite sure what to think. In the past, I have generally used linen based melamines... does anyone know what this is made of?

My first impression... I got a bag of 10 of these ferrules to play with. They all look pretty clean, have good impact resistance, and appear to machine/polish pretty easily. I cut one of them open lengthwise to explore further to find that there is no fiber or any other structural devices. It appears to be a polyester, or epoxy based molded slug that has been machined.

What about playability? Longevity?

I would greatly appreciate any info. that you guys or gals may have!

Cueless Joey
12-29-2004, 03:47 PM
CB, I was one of the first persons to field test the Ivor-X ferrule. I had one put on on my break cue. I liked it so much I had it put on my playing cue.
It's a great ferrule. Very quiet, no ticking sound or ping, stays super clean. My mentor Kerry Zeiler developed and marketed it. I help make the first sample batches for the BCA show more than 2 years ago.
Ivor-X has no weave like you mentioned. It also has consistent strength leghtwise and crosswise.
A patent on it is pending.
It costs a lot of money to get them out in the market. It really is the perfect substitute for ivory ferrules.
Any more questions, you can e-mail the inventor at zylrcue@yahoo.com

Rip
12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey Cheese,
I'm not a cuemaker but I am a cue user and abuser. I recently bought several Ned Morris cues and 2 of them have IVOR-X ferrules. I like them alot. They stay clean, no strange tinks, doinks, or clinks at impact. Even though both cues are very different in construction, the hit is almost identical. I may not know $hit from shinola but I like the stuff.
Happy New Year,
Rip

Cueless Joey
12-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Rip, I heard you shot so good with your NM stick, you bankrupted the Cue Club after taking all Toby's money.

trailboss
12-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey Joey, thats really cool! I know its hard to get a new product to market. The I ferrule is really great I have one.

SpiderMan
12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> CB, I was one of the first persons to field test the Ivor-X ferrule. I had one put on on my break cue. I liked it so much I had it put on my playing cue.
It's a great ferrule. Very quiet, no ticking sound or ping, stays super clean. My mentor Kerry Zeiler developed and marketed it. I help make the first sample batches for the BCA show more than 2 years ago.
Ivor-X has no weave like you mentioned. It also has consistent strength leghtwise and crosswise.
A patent on it is pending.
It costs a lot of money to get them out in the market. It really is the perfect substitute for ivory ferrules.
Any more questions, you can e-mail the inventor at zylrcue@yahoo.com <hr /></blockquote>

Joey,

Is there a reason it is being billed as an ivory replacement, rather than a generic ferrule replacement? Does it look like ivory, ie does it have an appearance of grain when polished? Do you have a close-up picture you can link us to?

SpiderMan

crawdaddio
12-29-2004, 09:29 PM
It plays gooooood, stays shiny, that's all I know.

Cueless Joey
12-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Spidy,
Here's a closeup of it. http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ivor_x.jpg
It has no grain. It polishes great and is ivory/bone in color.
It hits really close to ivory w/out the ping.

BLACKHEART
12-29-2004, 10:41 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI had a customer ask for this ferrule material &amp; had no clue as to what it was. I got some pieces &amp; experimented with threaded capped, straight tenon capped &amp; straight through, tube type construction. I put them on break Qs as well as playing Qs. They all looked good &amp; played good with NO FAILURES. My personal break Q has a tube type &amp; shows no sign of cracking or chipping. The supplier doesn't recommend this type, so I made the center hole smaller than usual,to give the ferrule a thicker wall than normal. I would recomend Ivor-X ferrules although they will cost you more...JER

Rip
12-29-2004, 11:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Rip, I heard you shot so good with your NM stick, you bankrupted the Cue Club after taking all Toby's money. <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely! My IVOR-X was Toby's kryptonite! I wish.
Happy New Year,
Rip

stickman
12-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Cueless Joey introduced me to the Ivor-X ferules shortly after they came out. I have been extremely happy that he told me about them. I use the Ivor-X on almost all my customers repairs, and use them on my own jump/break cue and shooting cue. They are the best man-made material I've used.

Pizza Bob
12-30-2004, 05:55 AM
Whoaaa, Rip.....you are my hero. That was no small accomplishment. I saw Toby go 8 up (for more than a few jellybeans) over Cliff Joyner, at one-pocket. Of course, I also saw Cliff bring it back to even, before he quit Toby. Congrats (the sound of newfound respect &lt;g&gt;).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SpiderMan
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
You're right, it doesn't look very much like ivory, but it does look a lot like the semi-translucent plastic material on the capped ferrules of my old Palmer shafts. Do you know what they used to use back in the '70s?

Looks like nice joinery, by the way. Is it your own work?

SpiderMan

cheese_ball
01-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I believe that the semi-translucent plastic that Palmer used is called implex. This material isn't very cost effective, and was a manufacturing nightmare. Implex was designed as an electrical conduit, and is usually not very asthetically pleasing... ranges from grey to a half-translucent white... definately not the same as this material... any other ideas? I would hate to have to throw down the dough for a chemical analysis... does anyone know what this is?

Cueless Joey
01-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Spidey, if you have new samples, I never touched those.
Enjoy them. I hope you put one on your own playing cue.

SpiderMan
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I believe Meucci was the big user of "implex". Also, I think that term is sort of generic, being applied to several different plastics.

The old Palmer ferrules don't look like the Meucci stuff. I believe they're harder and more translucent. In the right light, I can actually see how thick the cap is and where the tenon stops.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Spidey, if you have new samples, I never touched those.
Enjoy them. I hope you put one on your own playing cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey, you lost me here! I don't know what samples you are referring to, touched or otherwise.

SpiderMan