PDA

View Full Version : Warning on Philippino custom cues

cueball1950
12-29-2004, 11:43 PM
A friend of mine who recently ordered a cue from a cue maker in the philippines had the maker put some ivory inlays into the cue. When it was shipped it was inspected and seized right away cuz of the ivory ban. The cue maker is making him another cue, this time without ivory. He got lucky this time since the maker is remaking the cue for free. But i just want everybody to be aware that this can happen when ordering from there.................mike

mksmith713
12-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Another thing you have to look out for is shady filipino cuemakers who ship you crap cues.
Be aware who you're dealing with.
The cues on eBay are mostly junk.
I got one that had the finish peeling off when I recieved it.
The maker told me to ship it back to him but that would have cost me for S&H to PI and another $40.00 for them to ship it back.

There are a few really good cue makers in PI.
Just know who you're dealing with.
If the maker isn't putting their name on the cue, it's probabaly because they're ashamed to be associated with the product.

Pelican
12-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Another good reason to sick with good old American custom makers.

Pel ~ ever the Patriot

cueball1950
12-30-2004, 09:51 PM
well i have 4 or 5 cues from the same maker in the philippines. i only use audrick custom cues.... great man...great work.....................mike

mksmith713
01-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Audrick is one of the better cue mskers in the PI's.
Vanduels is another one.
There are a few others, one guy named Badandy and JoeyG make preety nice battle sticks as well.
If they put their name on it, they take pride in it.

cueball1950
01-01-2005, 10:50 PM
well i have dealt with patrick from audrick and have had nothing but good luck. out of about 30 or so cues i have gotten from him for resale i have only found 1 bad shaft. and when i mentioned it to him he shipped me out another 1 right away...But anyway,,, this thread started out about the makers shipping cues with ivory in them getting seized, patrick has just explained to me that al of his ivory is pre ban. so lets hope he has the paper work and everything goes ok from here on in......................mike

iusedtoberich
01-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Is the problem importing into the US (US customs)? Or exporting from another country (that country's customs)? What about selling cues to someone in Europe (from the US)? What special precautions if any have you guys taken that deal with international sales? Does all ivory count, including the ferrule (as opposed to DECORATIONS like inlays)? Thanks.

GeraldG
01-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Importing and exporting Ivory is a VERY touchy thing. You have to be able to show documentation that the Ivory is pre-ban Ivory and then you have to secure the CITES permits. If you don't, it will get confiscated. That applies to either taking Ivory in or out of the U.S., and yes Ivory ferrules are subject to the same rules.