PDA

View Full Version : Republican seeks revote in Wash. governor race

SnakebyteXX
12-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Calls on Democratic rival to support gubernatorial do-over

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:49 p.m. ET Dec. 29, 2004OLYMPIA, Wash. -

Republican Dino Rossi on Wednesday urged his Democratic rival in the closest governor’s race in state history to join him in calling for a revote.

“The uncertainty surrounding this election process isn’t just bad for you and me — it is bad for the entire state,” Rossi said, reading from a letter he said he sent to Democrat Christine Gregoire. “People need to know for sure that the next governor actually won the election.”

The Gregoire camp immediately dismissed the notion that a revote might be feasible. She is scheduled to be certified as Washington’s governor-elect Thursday, by a scant 129 votes out of more than 2.8 million cast.

“It’s irresponsible to spend $4 million in taxpayer money on a new election just because you don’t like losing this one,” said Gregoire’s spokesman Morton Brilliant.

Rossi made his plea for a revote, which would have to be approved by the state Legislature, during a news conference. “A revote would be the best solution for the people of our state, and would give us a legitimate governorship,” his letter said.

Eight weeks of uncertainty
Thursday’s planned certification of the vote by Republican secretary of state Sam Reed will come more than eight weeks after Election Day. An unprecedented statewide hand recount — the third vote count — put Gregoire, a three-time attorney general, ahead for the first time, by just a tiny fraction of 1 percent.

Rossi, a real estate agent and former state senator, won the initial tally last month by 261 votes, triggering an automatic machine recount. He won that count, too, by 42 votes.

While noting that he could contest the election, Rossi said Wednesday that a legal challenge could drag on for months. The better way to clear up the mess, he said, would be to ask lawmakers to pass a bill calling for a special election as soon as the Democrat-controlled state Legislature convenes in early January for the 2005 session.

‘The people have voted’
Earlier in the day, Rossi’s spokeswoman Mary Lane said he and his advisers, including state GOP Chairman Chris Vance, were weighing whether to contest the results.

Gov. Gary Locke said he strongly disagrees with Rossi’s call for another election. “The people have voted, and all votes properly cast were counted,” said Locke, a Democrat who’s retiring after two terms.

Amid the weeks of uncertainty, both Gregoire and Rossi have maintained transition offices, appointing teams to work on a state budget, cabinet appointments and an agenda for the upcoming Legislature.

Rossi had been using the title “governor-elect,” and his family even toured the Governor’s Mansion.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6767684/)

Deeman2
12-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Just as in the 2000 Presidential election, it would not be a good idea to start re-voting. The vote should stand and the present results be honored. It's a slippery slope for all of us, not just when it goes our way.

Deeman

highsea
12-30-2004, 11:08 AM
We won't do a re-vote, but I wish we would.

One of the "irregularities" in King County...I have mentioned the 11,000+ ballots that have been "discovered" since the first count took place. I was listening to the radio yesterday, and it seems that the Dems had gone around to all the homeless people in Seattle, and registered them listing a municipal building as their residence. There were over 400 of these ballots. The recount put the Dems up by 130 votes.

They did not actually open up the building to them, and these people are still on the street, so they are almost impossible to track down, but the votes were counted. There is no way to verify these voters.

The P-I and the Times have not picked up the story, and they are calling for Rossi to concede.

cheesemouse
12-30-2004, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> We won't do a re-vote, but I wish we would.

One of the "irregularities" in King County...I have mentioned the 11,000+ ballots that have been "discovered" since the first count took place. I was listening to the radio yesterday, and it seems that the Dems had gone around to all the homeless people in Seattle, and registered them listing a municipal building as their residence. There were over 400 of these ballots. The recount put the Dems up by 130 votes.

They did not actually open up the building to them, and these people are still on the street, so they are almost impossible to track down, but the votes were counted. There is no way to verify these voters.

The P-I and the Times have not picked up the story, and they are calling for Rossi to concede. <hr /></blockquote>

Highseas, It sucks when you come out on the short end of the stick doesn't it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Look on the bright side. It was just a measly Governorship after all...hehehe /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
12-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Yea, you're right Cheese. It's just a little election fraud, no big deal. The reps never expected to win anyway.

Bottle of mad dog, a phony address, pretty smart on the Dems part, I have to say. Gregoire called our system a "model for the nation". lol, I bet you can't wait till it comes to your state... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
12-30-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you can't wait till it comes to your state...
<hr /></blockquote>

High guy, It's been here for a long time. My fellow statemen just voted the minority leader out of office. The Republicans had to spend about $80 per vote but they 'gotter done'...LOL...I can't figure out if my fellow citizens have shot themselves in the foot or the temple... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The cheese once lived on a boat....Loved it! It was a 38 foot, ocean class hull but it was made of concrete...was kind of afaid to take it out... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
12-31-2004, 12:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> High guy, It's been here for a long time.<hr /></blockquote>You guys have 500 homeless people living in your County courthouse too? Cool.

We had a bunch of ballots from our guys from Ft. Lewis, Whidbey NAS and McCord AFB that are stationed overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan, or on ships in the gulf. Unfortunately, even though their ballots were postmarked before Nov. 2, they didn't arrive in time for the first count. They were excluded, but the surprise ballots found in King County were allowed.

In Washington, a bum's vote is worth more than a soldiers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif