PDA

View Full Version : Pool trick

ChuckR
12-30-2004, 07:12 AM
I once saw a trick that involved lining all balls in numerical sequence along a rail. With your back to the balls, another person moved any number of balls to the other end of the row. You then backed up to the table and without looking at the balls were able to tell the person how many balls were moved. I don't remember to perform the trick and would appreciate the answer if anyone remembers. Thanks. ChuckR

Barbara
12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
I remember that trick!

And, I remember how to do it, too!

Barbara

landshark77
12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I remember that trick!

And, I remember how to do it, too!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Are we keeping secrets on a public forum???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
12-30-2004, 08:42 AM
shark,

I pm'd him about how to do it.

I'd forgotten about that trick. It's pretty cool, too. I think Allen Hopkins taught me that one about 10 years ago.

Barbara

landshark77
12-30-2004, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> shark,

I pm'd him about how to do it.

I'd forgotten about that trick. It's pretty cool, too. I think Allen Hopkins taught me that one about 10 years ago.

Barbara
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah...I figured that...I was just messing with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob_Jewett
12-30-2004, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> I once saw a trick that involved lining all balls in numerical sequence along a rail. With your back to the balls, another person moved any number of balls to the other end of the row. You then backed up to the table and without looking at the balls were able to tell the person how many balls were moved. I don't remember to perform the trick and would appreciate the answer if anyone remembers. Thanks.<hr /></blockquote>
Does the magician feel the balls?

Barbara
12-30-2004, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Does the magician feel the balls? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, bob. Because with your back to the table, you have to feel the balls to count from your left side as to which numbered ball corresponds to the number of balls moved.

Barbara

Bob_Jewett
12-30-2004, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>... with your back to the table, you have to feel the balls to count from your left side as to which numbered ball corresponds to the number of balls moved.<hr /></blockquote>
Well, a little honey on the one ball ought to do it then. Alternatively, the ball could be warmer from having been held in your hand or pocket for a while. Another possibility is that many pool balls have defects especially around the eyes. On some sets where I play, you can almost read the numbers by feeling where the black number has been worn down by the ball polisher. But the easiest way is to have an accomplice signal you.

Barbara
12-30-2004, 01:44 PM
No Bob, that isn't it at all! The spectators may think the trickster is feeling the balls for the number, but they're just being touched so they can be counted.

Barbara

Bob_Jewett
12-30-2004, 06:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> I once saw a trick that involved lining all balls in numerical sequence along a rail. With your back to the balls, another person moved any number of balls to the other end of the row. You then backed up to the table and without looking at the balls were able to tell the person how many balls were moved. I don't remember to perform the trick and would appreciate the answer if anyone remembers. Thanks. ChuckR <hr /></blockquote>
Well, I just got a PM with a small clarification on the rules. The magician announces the number of balls that was moved by pulling out the ball with that number on it. He can't actually speak the number of the ball without looking at it (unless he does one of the doctoring tricks mentioned before).

wantsumrice
12-31-2004, 12:43 AM
Ah ok, I give up. How do you do it?

Scott Lee
01-01-2005, 11:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I think Allen Hopkins taught me that one about 10 years ago.

Barbara
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara...Willie Jopling showed it to Allen years ago (and me too). He's been doing that trick with the balls for decades, and even did a column on it in BD a couple of years ago. Unlike Bob described, there is no trick to it, and nothing on the balls...even calling out the number of the ball.

Scott Lee