PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the Cue - Richard Black

PQQLK9
12-30-2004, 09:16 AM
The Art of the Cue - Richard Black
The Art Museum of Southeast Texas (AMSET)will present the billiard cues of master craftsman Richard Black from 3/19/-6/5/05. Black's cues grace many private collections as well as The National Museum of American History of the Smithsonian Institution.

Distribution Source : PRWeb

Date : Thursday - December 30, 2004

Beaumont, TX (PRWEB) December 30, 2004 - When most people think of billiards, many things come to mind: smoky pool halls, the clack of the cue ball striking the rack. Very few would think of museums, let alone the Smithsonian Institution. But the Smithsonian has in its collection one of the many pool cues of artist Richard Black.

The Art Museum of Southeast Texas (AMSET) is pleased to present The Art of Cue-Richard Black on view March 19 through June 5, 2005. This exhibition is comprised of over thirty intricate, hand crafted cue sticks made by Black, a master craftsman from Humble, Texas. Although Black is well known in the pool cue world, this is his first solo art museum exhibition. Black's art form is surprising to the unsuspecting museum visitor because his cues magically elevate the level of a common everyday object to highly individualized and creative, yet functional, work of art.

Each billiard cue chronicles the artist's life experiences in some capacity, making his work highly versatile. Black is keenly observant and has the rare gift of "idea to object" transformation. One pool cue is inspired by the pattern on a paper Chinese restaurant placemat, another by koi fish circling in a pond, and still another had its design inspired by a piece of rare wood. The "idea to object" transformation combined with his technical virtuosity and versatility makes Black's craftsmanship unparalleled. Not only are Black's ideas wide-ranging, his choice of materials is also diverse-exotic hardwoods, ivory, Mother of Pearl, precious metals and the occasional precious stone adorn each cue-in addition, every cue is properly weighted for play and fully intended for everyday use.

Black seems compelled to create his unique art.

"Pearls are created," George Fels of Billiard Digest Magazine said of Black's cues, "only because the oyster has no other way to relieve an itch."

Black has been making pool cues for over thirty years. After 17 years in the financial and corporate worlds, he abandoned his office job for his woodworking workshop. He has no studio assistants; he prefers to work alone except for the serene presence of his business manager and aesthetics critic, Ardis, his wife of 37 years. His cues grace many private collections as well as The National Museum of American History of the Smithsonian Institution.

Black will deliver an artist's gallery tour on Friday, March 18 at 7:00 p.m. followed immediately by an opening reception at AMSET. Funding for this exhibition has generously been provided by Adam Custom Cues, Japan, the Academy of American Cue Art and Wallace L. Luthy.

The Art Museum of Southeast Texas (AMSET) presents
"The Art of the Cue - Richard Black"
March 19-June 5, 2005
Reception and Gallery Talk: 7pm, Friday, March 18
Free and Open to the Public

Phone: 409-832-3432

# # #

ART MUSEUM OF SOUTHEAST TEXAS
Janna Fulbright
409-832-3432
E-mail Information
http://press.arrivenet.com/ent/article.php/548504.html

landshark77
12-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Ok I'm jealous! Texas is too far from me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif BTW, does anyone know if the cue exhibit at the Smithsonian is still there? I have been searching for it for the past 5 years. No one at the museum has a clue...they just look at you like your stupid and reply, "Cues??"

PQQLK9
12-30-2004, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Ok I'm jealous! Texas is too far from me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif BTW, does anyone know if the cue exhibit at the Smithsonian is still there? I have been searching for it for the past 5 years. No one at the museum has a clue...they just look at you like your stupid and reply, "Cues??" <hr /></blockquote>

If you want to find something at the Smithsonian ask a custodian (they know where everything is.)

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard Black at an ACA exhibit and even held one of his cues /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm still dreaming.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-30-2004, 09:37 AM
according to houstondan he (Black) lurks here

jjinfla
12-30-2004, 11:29 AM
A couple moved in here and they each have Richard Black cues. Sure are nice. 2.5K &amp; 8K

Jake

dg-in-centralpa
12-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Nick - I have a Richard Black "Bushka" model. Looks and feels great. Check out his website for other fancier cues. These you just look at and don't play with.

DG - would love to have a real Bushka

www.blackcues.com (http://www.blackcues.com)

Pelican
12-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I am going to try an make Mr. Black's opening event on the 18th if I can. If not will surely get to the exhibit before it closes. Only about 6 hours for me to Beaumont. Have two of his cues, an '86 made of Koa with loads of silver and #8 of 30 of the 30th anniversary cue. Would truly love to meet Mr. Black.

Later, Pel

cueball1950
12-30-2004, 10:10 PM
he was also 1 of the cue makers that displayed their cues in the smithonian magazine as works of art..........mike

tateuts
12-31-2004, 12:36 AM
This is the kind of thing that is terrific for pool. Every high-end cue maker and collector should be trying to do the same thing.

I show people who know nothing of pool some of my fancier cues. They just love to look at them, just like we do. They do not know of the history or background, but cues can be appreciated by everyone as art.

Chris