PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new cue

JohnnyP
12-30-2004, 04:45 PM
I just put up some pics of my new cue. It's a 62" F78 Viking, 19.5oz, with a 12.5mm shaft.

The guys at the pool hall were razzing me about my old cue and its whippy shaft, so I thought I'd stop in at Triangle Billiards in Orange, CA, and look at some cues.

I had seen a post from a Viking rep on another forum about a Viking F78 SP, so I went in hoping to see one. They didn't have one in stock, but Woodie the counterman let me hit a few with one of the other Vikings they had on display. He also let me hit some with a $$$ McDermott, but it felt dead. The Viking shaft had a little zing to it.

Woodie is also a BCA instructor, and came over after watching me for a bit, he pointed out that when I address the cue ball, my stroke arm is already into the follow through, instead of perpendicular to the floor. With my ten inch bridge, I needed to move the grip all the way back to the butt of the cue.

I asked if we could order a longer P-78 to fit me, and we settled on 62". It hits great, but causes a little more deflection than my old cue. I'm working on that.

The finish on the handle is like glass. Normally, I sand off any finish, so my grip can slide around on the bare wood. I've had to start using a touch of talc on my grip hand.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/John'sCues/Viking/

http://www.vikingcue.com/pages/cues/f78.html

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I like that design, nice wood in the butt, simple yet elegant IMO. My older Viking is still one of my favorites...sid

Popcorn
12-30-2004, 05:21 PM
I would dull it down with some 0000# steel wool before I began sanding it. It may help.

JohnnyP
12-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Not gonna dew it. Wouldn't be prudent.

I'm going with the talc for now. It's too pretty to mar.

cueball1950
12-30-2004, 10:32 PM
nice looking cue. mind if i ask how much

wantsumrice
12-31-2004, 12:51 AM
Check out the second link, around $280.

How does the steel to steel joint hit? I've been told that they have a much different feel compared to something like a steel to wood.

JohnnyP
12-31-2004, 03:16 AM
Total was $530.

The "discount price" started at $250. Add $140 for the extra length butt. The longer shaft was another $70, and the upgraded joint was $30. Must be forgetting something. I'll dig up the invoice tomorrow.

The biggest improvement it has made to my game so far is from the extra weight. The long slow rollers and long thin cuts are easier, but the spin shots are tougher, since the shaft causes more deflection than my old cue. I find I'm using center ball a lot more often.

Don't know if the joint helps or hurts. Wayne Norcross, the house pro and TD at Danny K's, looked at the joint and smiled, and said it should last a hundred years. He said the extra length was perfectly proportioned and well balanced. He hit a few with it, and said he'd like to have it. Maybe he was being polite.

I let some of the regulars try it, and they all say it hits hard or solid. Some cues feel dead to me. This one doesn't, though it's not as lively as my old cue with the 11.5mm whippy shaft. I've had that thing since '66, so it's going to be hard to set aside. I ordered an extra length case that can hold both, so I'll prolly break it out for those little spin shots. IS THAT SO WRONG? (John Lovitz "I just want to be loved" voice).

Wally_in_Cincy
12-31-2004, 08:26 AM
I had one of those without the steel joint. It was really pretty. Sadly it "grew legs" at a tournament.