PDA

View Full Version : Cue Build off

Popcorn
12-30-2004, 05:55 PM
I always see the motorcycle build off's on the discovery channel. What would you think about a cue build off? It could be concluded at the Valley Forge show with the people in attendance doing the voting. There could be several criteria on which they would be judged on. It could be sponsored by say Billiard Digest with the winning cue on the cover of an upcoming issue. I don't know how you would decide who could enter, maybe charge a small entry fee and give cash prizes and plaques to the winners in each category as well as grand prize. There is time to put something together if someone was so inclined. It would also be nice if some of the unknown cue makers who are doing some great work would get a chance for some real recognition and a chance at winning such a competition. The cue would have to be new and not some recycled cue the cue maker has had laying around. Just a thought.

Spencer
12-30-2004, 07:01 PM
It sounds like a great idea to me. It could be really interesting if it's done like the biker build off and the cue makers take pictures and document the cue in different stages of the build. This would make for a good article by Fred Agnir or one of the billiards magazines. It would also help provide future cue buyers with an insight into how certain cue makers do their work. I'm not saying cue makers have to give away all their trade secrets, but I think something like this would give people a new found respect for how much time and work goes into some high end cues.

Second, I would try to get Billiards Digest or Inside Pool to auction the winning cue at Valley Forge. Telling cue collectors that there will be a feature story on the cue maker and that particular cue, should help increase the collector value considerably. In general doing cue build offs, could really help put some cue makers on the map. It seems like a number a cue makers are very popular in certain parts of the country, but are almost unknown names in other parts.

Rod
12-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Interesting idea but how it would be done is another matter. The bike build off is a team of charachters with the ultimate goal of building a bike. Usually these bikes have an established theme. The build off creates a drama within the cast of chrachters. I'm not so sure that could be done very well building a cue since the builder is usually only one or two people at most. Doesn't sound like it could be made that exciting but you never know.

Those episodes are never more than three builders that I've seen. To have several cue builders participate doesn't sound likely. When there at VF there time is consumed by selling built products, is it not? One man shows would be a tough nut to crack.

Rod

woody_968
12-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Unless I am missing something I dont think Popcorn meant a TV show. Just a contest where cuemakers presented the cue they had built at VF and letting all the attendants vote on the winner.

With enough participants I think someone could actually do a small publication with all the cues, sort of like a swimsuit issue for pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact, if models in swimtsuits were holding the cues Im SURE it would sell /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cueball1950
12-30-2004, 10:23 PM
sounds like a great idea. but not enough time to do it this year. alan should start something like that and annunce who will be invited. they could have a build off between 2 cuemakers evry month and then hold a finals between the winners at valley forge next year..............mike