PDA

View Full Version : MASSE & TRICK SHOT TIPS?????????

BLACKHEART
12-31-2004, 06:46 AM
What type of tips do they use for masse & trick shots...JER

Harold Acosta
12-31-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> What type of tips do they use for masse &amp; trick shots...JER <hr /></blockquote>

Shouldn't it be a soft leather tip to avoid miscues?

Billy_Bob
12-31-2004, 10:41 AM
A soft tip will compress with hard hits, so wouldn't stay soft for very long. Also the radius (nickel/dime) on a soft tip will distort easily with just one hard hit. Sort of like pushing your finger into a hard boiled egg. It will have the indentation of the cue ball in it, then needs re-shaping.

Bob_Jewett
12-31-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> What type of tips do they use for masse &amp; trick shots...JER <hr /></blockquote>
In Europe, the Artistic Billiards players use large (&gt; 14mm), soft tips on their special short and heavy masse cues.

Chris Cass
12-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi JER,

I don't know myself and I've been wanting to talk with Tom Rossman about it forever but, each time I've seen him and talked. Which has been 3 times throught the last 13 yrs and still I forget about it. lol

I'm thinking it's a soft tip with a thin shaft but for masse' I couldn't argue with the hard tips. I do know that the masse cues are reconstructed to have the majority of the weight in the butt cap area of the cue. That only took me 30 yrs to find that out. lollol

BTW, looked up your site again and your price list. Man, your prices are the Nuts. I think you should add another part of your site. I'd like to see pics of the work you've done like Carol' cues and perhaps IA State champion, Karla Chorny. Really some nice work.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vagabond
01-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I liked the looks and prices of your pool cues.I hope they play well too.
Vagabond

BLACKHEART
01-01-2005, 10:20 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThanks guys, for the nice words about my new web site. I retired in July,at 62,from my full time job. When I was working, I could just barely keep up with orders for 25-30 Qs a year,so the last thing I needed was advertisement. The thing that persuaded me to start up a web site,was that I was spending a lot of time sending out pictures of previously made Qs. That was bogging me down even more. This web site was very reasonable &amp; easy to set up. It's not too fancy,but serves my purpose. I'll be adding more Qs, as I find time. Hope you all have good health in the coming new year...JER P.S. I'll be shareing a booth at Hopkins Valley Forge Expo, so stop by &amp; hit a few balls &amp; say HELLO.

Scott Lee
01-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Jerry...NICE site! That tip I was talking about is called a Kamui tip, and is made in Japan. It is a layered tip, similar to Moori, but much less expensive. I thought it was exceptionally good feeling, and masse's were easy as well! I was given one to try out, and am waiting to get it put on one of my shafts. I do, however, still love my Talismans!

Scott

recoveryjones
01-01-2005, 08:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> What type of tips do they use for masse &amp; trick shots...JER <hr /></blockquote>
In Europe, the Artistic Billiards players use large (&gt; 14mm), soft tips on their special short and heavy masse cues. <hr /></blockquote>

14mm is a large tip diameter. Do you think they use such a large tip because billiard balls are bigger than pool balls?
I've heard that a soft tip is the way to go for masse. I'm wondering if some pool players perhaps carry an extra cue ( or shaft) in their case with a masse tip on it for special situations that come up in games like nine ball?If you got a big case and the $$$ for an extra specialty cue, I don't see why not. RJ

Rich R.
01-02-2005, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> What type of tips do they use for masse &amp; trick shots...JER <hr /></blockquote>
In Europe, the Artistic Billiards players use large (&gt; 14mm), soft tips on their special short and heavy masse cues. <hr /></blockquote>

14mm is a large tip diameter. Do you think they use such a large tip because billiard balls are bigger than pool balls?
I've heard that a soft tip is the way to go for masse. I'm wondering if some pool players perhaps carry an extra cue ( or shaft) in their case with a masse tip on it for special situations that come up in games like nine ball?If you got a big case and the $$$ for an extra specialty cue, I don't see why not. RJ <hr /></blockquote>
RJ, last March, at the Super Billiards Expo, there was an Artistic competition. I happened to see some of the well known Artistic players arriving. They had cue cases of the type used by dealers. Obviously, the Artistic players are not limited to 3 cues. By the size of their cue cases, I have to believe they had a number of specially prepared cues, for a number of special shot situations.