PDA

View Full Version : Exploding tires and a bad day fishing.

Chopstick
01-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I was having an odd day. Everyone and everything was going against me. Ever have one of those days when every door you walk up to someone opens it and almost hits you. Everything you mess with fouls up and resists your efforts.

I had just rebuilt my carburetors and got my boat all ready and I saw I had a flat tire on my trailer. I went and got a patch kit and put a plug in it and pumped it up and it looked fine. I took off down the road and about half way there the tire went flat again. I have dual axles and one axle is rated to hold the full weight of the boat. In essence I am running two spare tires on the ground all the time. I pulled in to a gas station and the compressor didn't work. I drove down the road a couple miles and found one that did.

I figured the patch had come lose. I still had the patch kit in the truck so, I was going to pump up the tire and patch it again. I was on my knees. My left thigh was right beside the tire. The tire takes 50 lbs of pressure. I got it up to about thirty pounds and the tire exploded. It split in the middle of the tread and a one foot section blew out of the side and hit me right in the leg. I was numb from the impact. I realize the exploding tires can be very serious. Truck tires can kill people when they blow. I had on fishing britches, no underwear, so I had to climb into the truck to find out if I was hurt bad. I got lucky. It caught me flat on. No cuts, just a nice big bruise.

The place where the tire blew was on the opposite side of where the patch was so it was just a defective tire. I took it off and went fishing. Didn't catch nothing. Got hung up on a dock post and snapped my rod in half trying to jerk it lose. Somehow when it snapped it rapped me across the bones on the back of my hand. Hurt like hell. On the way home I noticed flashing lights in my mirror. It was a cop. I slowed down to pull over and he passed on by. I guess the world decided I'd had enough for one day.

dg-in-centralpa
01-01-2005, 09:08 AM
What a story. Many years ago when wifey was 7 months pregnant, we decided to go to the shore for the day. We had a Honda Accord. The beach is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away. We were self employed at the time and needed a break. I stopped at a mini market for coffee. At the local Burger King, I roll down my window and knock the fresh hot coffee in my lap, scalding the family jewels. I only had on a bathing suit.
We're heading sounth on the highway when we had a tire blow out. I get the spare which is a donut. It starts raining as I'm changing the tire. I go a little further and find a gas station figuring they can sell me a new tire. They sold tires but didn't do any installations. How can this be I wondered? So I drove 90 miles back north to Dover on this donut. It was supposed to be ok to use for several hundred miles. This also blew out about 5 miles from a Pep Boys. We finally got 2 tires and headed back to the beach. We finally got there at about 3pm when we were expecting to be there at 10am. We stayed on the beach for an hour and left to go home.

DG - laughs about it now, but was pissed then

pooltchr
01-02-2005, 06:19 AM
There is an old saying that a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Just wondering if you would still agree.
Steve

dg-in-centralpa
01-02-2005, 02:28 PM
You do make a valid point.lol

DG - I agree

Chopstick
01-03-2005, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> There is an old saying that a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Just wondering if you would still agree.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I like my work. I should have played golf instead. At least I expect golf to be bad. There is a saying in golf. No matter how bad your last shot was, the next one can still be worse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan
01-03-2005, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I got it up to about thirty pounds and the tire exploded. It split in the middle of the tread and a one foot section blew out of the side and hit me right in the leg. I was numb from the impact. I realize the exploding tires can be very serious. Truck tires can kill people when they blow. I had on fishing britches, no underwear, so I had to climb into the truck to find out if I was hurt bad. <hr /></blockquote>

If you'd had underwear, you wouldn't have needed to climb into the truck? Were you checking for damage, or doodoo?

SpiderMan